It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage at secret probe into 47,000 innocent flyers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Outrage at secret probe into 47,000 innocent flyers

www.dailymail.co.uk

Police secretly investigated the travel habits, family, friends and backgrounds of 47,000 innocent people last year after they bought plane tickets to fly into and out of Britain.

The flyers were singled out by the ‘terrorist detector’ database, introduced by Labour, monitoring millions of British tourists and other travellers.

Checks included scrutiny of the police national computer, financial records and analysis of ‘known associates’ before people were cleared for travel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This kind of disclosure seems to be coming out on almost a daily basis which obviously means that there is a ton of it going on, most of it we never hear about.

This system flagged you if you ordered a vegetarian meal! They claim it was used to track sex offenders and football hooligans. Really, a 1.2 billion pound system to track football hooligans?

There is no way to stop this because there is no definitive way to determine if it is happening.

Fascinating to think about how Stalin, Hitler and Mao would have used this technology.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I suppose we all understand by now that this sort of thing goes on. I am simply glad we are being respected enough to be told the truth in a mature and somewhat forthcoming manner.

Knowing is always better than not knowing. That is probably the stance of those doing these background checks. Frankly, I feel it's worth it to take my flight, get there alive and walk away without being hijacked or exploded.

Since when does this basically public information trump simple safety checks against possible terrorists?

I agree that flagging someone for vegetarian meals is probably not very effective at targeting terrorists, but on the other hand, those who are vegetarians are not the ones I'm concerned about on my flight!

Some of us can handle a background check better than a terrorist taking over our flight, especially if he or she could have been stopped or delayed by such a check. This may not be a popular attitude, but when it's life or death at stake, priorities should be a bit more serious.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this kind of tech is used on a
world wide basis.

How do you think folks get put on the no-fly-list ???

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower
I suppose we all understand by now that this sort of thing goes on. I am simply glad we are being respected enough to be told the truth in a mature and somewhat forthcoming manner.

Knowing is always better than not knowing. That is probably the stance of those doing these background checks. Frankly, I feel it's worth it to take my flight, get there alive and walk away without being hijacked or exploded.

Since when does this basically public information trump simple safety checks against possible terrorists?

I agree that flagging someone for vegetarian meals is probably not very effective at targeting terrorists, but on the other hand, those who are vegetarians are not the ones I'm concerned about on my flight!

Some of us can handle a background check better than a terrorist taking over our flight, especially if he or she could have been stopped or delayed by such a check. This may not be a popular attitude, but when it's life or death at stake, priorities should be a bit more serious.

Another case of giving up your rights, choosing slavery for presumed security. Wake up, old chap!

Most common humans pose no threat to societies, for most are law abiding. But the problem arises when one day, you wake up and find some laws enforced by the authorities are wrong, and try to change them.

Someone in Scotland Yard will dig up your files, and trace for incriminating information. It doesn't matter if you are clean, but you can be made guilty by association.

For example, you often kept in touch with a guy, met him at his house for dinners and discussion. But unknown to you, he is a pedo. From those records, they can call you up for investigations, whisper to your neighbours or leak to the press.

As you know, once MSM pushes the news, it doesn't matter if you are guilty or not, because others will look at you differently from then onwards. To them, you are already guilty. And pedo is often the best way to get a person down swiftly, followed by association with gays.

They will tell you first, to let you know the consequences, so that you have a choice. Many will just remain silent and walk away.

This is the way to control political dissent. And I am talking about the good guys, have not even talk about rogue agents. Worse if you decide to stand as an opposition figure to the authorities.

These are the powers you had given to the authorities, or had failed to censure them for stripping you of your liberties.

This is no fantasy or paranoia, but a reality in authoritarian states.

In the 30s, J Hoover of the FBI was believed to had amassed huge records of important persons through his agents, and with such information, blackmail was order of the day.

So think again if it is terrorists they were after or that ready name tag for you when you become a personae-non-grata to them. There are other ways to find terrorists.

And if such methods were useful, then terrorism would long had been eradicated, but still we have terrorism today.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Its been a couple years since I got on a plane.

Its also been a couple years since I joined ATS.

If I get banned from boarding a plane, I am blaming you guys.

top topics

join