It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
After leaving this thread, this song came into my head... relevant to the Topic i'd say:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Every day that they prolong the misinformation and confusion gives them another day to manipulate and profit from the stock market, avoid culpability. They will both avoid culpability and profit from the "damage control" which is most assuredly not a damage control that particularly cares about life.

Grieve for a while and then let's collect all the damages we can and put these psychopathic parasites on a very short leash. At this point I can definitely see a good argument for nationalizing US oil reserves. This is probably the saddest event I have seen in my life.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Well then, its a good thing you were born after 1980, considering the Ixtoc I event went on for NINE MONTHS, in the Gulf of Mexico. Wait, you were born after 1980 right?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Yeah, you really take the cake and you should eat the whole thing yourself, in public please because your avatar - male or female and I honestly can't tell, deserves some frosting (and better defined abs!) and I just can't wait to hear you analysis six months from now 'cuz I just know you'll be around to share it.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You're not even close but I did live on the gulf coast of Florida in the sixties. Tell me who to sue.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It's just awful. I grieved like crazy around May 1, because on April 30 I had a dream of how bad it is. There's nothing I can do though. I could have someone's head on a platter, but it's not going to take it back. Nothing will take it back. It's done.

Now I am helpless to watch them try to save their oil well at the expense of releasing more and more daily.

I'm sure that is what it is. If they wanted to stop it, they'd nuke it. They don't want to stop it though - they want to CAP it, so they can USE it.

That's where I think it is at right now.

I don't trust the media coverage or that the media that means to cover it is getting complete and total information. I don't think the govt. has the ability to deal with it, or make anyone else deal with it.

I don't think it is Obama's fault, but it is his shame.

Anyway, it is interesting how the average joe is not talking about it at all, except to say 'that's a shame.'

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

What?! That's Ripley, you know, from Aliens.

Mexico. It was the ground zero shot heard around the world when they declared war on the US. Stage 2 was sending bands of organized crime druglords for our borders in a La Raza invasion. They even have control over the media who covers it all up telling US its a good thing. And nobody ever suspected Mexico behind this new Deepwater Horizon 'accident'... who knew the Mexican that Mexican Intelligence was smart enough to blow it up the day before Earth Day to shift the blame on the Environmentalist patsies!?

[edit on 16-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This is obviously something very serious and all of us should pay close attention to what is going on. Yet some of the posters on here just drive me a little crazy by making everything political. Obama this and Obama that, like he's either Superman that should fly down and blow all the oil off into space or...he's not doing anything because he's making jokes or staring off into space or whatever.

What would you do if you were POTUS? BP is a British company the last time I looked yet one poster wants Obama in their face. To do what? Intimidate them? Fine them? Rub their faces in the Gulf water? Conservatives want the Fed out of private business so we either leave them alone (which is what started this mess in the first place) or what? This isn't FEMA organizing a rescue operation.

How many of you buy Exxon petroleum? After the Exxon Valdez disaster (which they never finished fixing or paying for), we have done squat and Exxon Mobil is just as strong as ever. Was George H.W. Bush in their face about it? What did he do about it? Nothing?

This is a natural disaster the likes we have never faced before and the repercussions of it are only beginning to be felt. We are all pretty powerless to do much about it and the "Chicken Littles" are running free, obviously. Along with Obama haters, most of whom supported Miss "Drill Baby Drill" like that would have made one iota of difference.

Lets talk about this thing, observe it, marvel at how big of a screw up it is, and pay the piper for our own personal greed, malfeasance, environmental disinterest and recognize that most of us know nothing about who, how, or what needs to be done. And stop using it as some political tool to cheap shot others.

One last note: this oil well was not in production so the impact on petroleum prices would be....nil. Of course, that won't stop people from accepting higher prices at the gas pumps under the fictional auspices that this is creating some shortage somewhere. Probably the same people that don't know that the U.S. exports as much oil to other countries as we import from the Middle East. I wonder how the conversation would be if B.P. was owned by a Saudi sheik? Wanna bet it would start with the word "terrorism"?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
reply to post by apacheman

Dude, you're implying that a the seafloor is going to drop out right while a hurricane hits thereby releasing a tsunami 49 miles of off the LA coastline... and want to be taken seriously? You've been watching the overhype fearmonger mainstream media for far too long.

So far I haven't seen any fearmongering mainstream media overhype. I think the lack of interest in this thread is an good evidence of how little attention is being paid to the problem. This is crisis overload syndrome setting in. Tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, we are hyped out and chillin while the leak just goes on and on and on...

If they disperse the oil into small droplets, will it clog the fish's gills easier than it would otherwise?
I don't see a good solution to this.

Wouldn't a bomb be hard to detonate under that much pressure. If they did wouldn't a huge ragged hole be harder to plug that a small round pipe?
I fail to see the logic of blowing up water to seal in something lighter than water...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Nah, I never saw it. I'm feeling humorless can you tell? I wonder if anyone in my family is making money off of this catastrophe...good chance someone you know is and that should never be the case, that should make everyone sad today.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Its looking more and more like the united states may need to add this event in the gulf to there list of Biggest events in this nations history . Maybe the top 10 ? who knows , Along with the wars and land take overs from the native Americans .

All I do know is there is a lot of oil pumping in the gulf . Maybe they will stop it some day. I have no more to add

[edit on 16-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearNoEvil

Every day that goes by, I blame Obama.
!

Yeah, we know. Maybe you need to work on getting that one-track mind fixed. I hear they can drive one......insane.

[edit on 5/16/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
reply to post by apacheman

Dude, you're implying that a the seafloor is going to drop out right while a hurricane hits thereby releasing a tsunami 49 miles of off the LA coastline... and want to be taken seriously? You've been watching the overhype fearmonger mainstream media for far too long.

Actually the only MSM I watch is the Weather Channel for realtime weather news. The rest are a day late, a dollar short, and on a bus going the wrong way most of the time.

I dig for my news far deeper than that.

And yes, I expect to be taken seriously when I present strong supporting evidence, as I've done here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You continually seem to miss my point, which leads me to suspect that you've not read much of the material I've posted. This isn't merely about the oil, but rather the methane hydrates that they were actually going after.

Perhaps I've assumed too much in assuming folks can put the data together and draw a conclusion from them. Methane hydrates are solids only under specific temperatures and pressures. If they are already dissolving in the waters around the leak, that would reduce the hydrostatic pressure, pushing it closer to sublimation points. A hurricane passing over the zone would reduce it further. Would it reduce it enough to cause a massive sublimation event?

I don't know.

I do know that there's a lot of the stuff right there (it's what they were after more than the oil, I think).

I do know that there have been significant subsea quakes in the area recently.

I do know that if a significant amount of hydrates suddenly dissolve into the water, it has a good chance of creating a subsidence event that could create a tsunami.

I'm not saying that these things will happen...I'm saying that rational people should be examining the possibility, which doesn't seem to be happening anywhere.

If it were to occur I wouldn't expect a huge tsunami, but even a small one sloshing oil and methane laden water around the gulf would be a very erious problem, much worse than it is right now.

Like I said before, study the data and show me the physics or chemistry or whatever that eliminates this scenario as a possibility, and I'll be grateful for the news.

But to say it won't happen or can''t happen because it hasn't before is not science, it's an opinion. While I respect your right to have one, I'd feel lots better if soemone could actually show me exactly how and why it can't occur as I've outlined with facts and supporting data.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
You all know that big business is big business and does not care about anything but the massive profits. I dare companies such as BP, Exxon, etc do something to save the environment, or the planet without being forced to.

Its gonna take the families of the executives (or something they care for-whatever that is) to make these monsters realize what they've done. I doubt that it will happen.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Actually the only MSM I watch is the Weather Channel for realtime weather news.

Right. ANd they're the worst of them all:
about halfway down my post where I talk about hurricane reporting.

But to say it won't happen or can''t happen because it hasn't before is not science, it's an opinion. While I respect your right to have one, I'd feel lots better if soemone could actually show me exactly how and why it can't occur as I've outlined with facts and supporting data.

WHAT are you even saying? Citing every article that talks about there being methane hydrates deep in the sea doesn't mean much of anything. Unless of course you also begin by citing a doomonger who claims that all of the earth oceans worth of stored hydrates will release all at once and ignite causing asteroid scale destruction and extinction, or that a hurricane will hit the oil leak and cause a tsunami.

Your predictions aren't rational, they're extremist and unplausible. Trying to even understand what your point is beyond these predictions is convoluted and confusing, other than to interpret that you're predicting total extinction in one way or another, all because humans decided to drill where these hydrates exist.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Well, it looks like pretty much all of this oil related doomongering has been debunked:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yah! The ruskies are geniuses! we need their help!

englishrussia.com...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I do not think your day is done, nor do I think you can continue manipulate perceptions to suit your very short term goals. This disaster has barely begun to show its effects. Your propaganda has a lot of support by others with similar short term interests and I have discovered today how you even have tacit support from ATS management but as deft as you are some of us are going to force you to make a case for your optimism every single day until this thing is controlled.

No, your work is not done but if you want to go to bed early so you'll be fresh for your big day tomorrow, nighty night.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
Your propaganda has a lot of support by others with similar short term interests and I have discovered today how you even have tacit support from ATS management but as deft as you are some of us are going to force you to make a case for your optimism every single day until this thing is controlled.

Right. That's why I haven't received a single "Applause" or even response by an ATS mod anywhere I've posted on the issue.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Researchers, meanwhile, warned Sunday that miles-long underwater plumes of oil from the spill could poison and suffocate sea life across the food chain, with damage that could endure for a decade or more. Researchers have found more underwater plumes of oil than they can count from the blown-out well, said Samantha Joye, a professor of marine sciences at the University of Georgia. She said careful measurements taken of one plume showed it stretching for 10 miles, with a 3-mile width.

The hazardous effects of the plume are twofold. Joye said the oil itself can prove toxic to fish swimming in the sea, while vast amount of oxygen are also being sucked from the water by microbes that eat oil. Dispersants used to fight the oil are also food for the microbes, speeding up the oxygen depletion.

"So, first you have oily water that may be toxic to certain organisms and also the oxygen issue, so there are two problems here," said Joye, who's working with a group of scientists who discovered the underwater plumes in a recent boat expedition to the Gulf. "This can interrupt the food chain at the lowest level, and will trickle up and certainly impact organisms higher. Whales, dolphins and tuna all depend on lower depths to survive."

She said it could take years or even decades for the ecosystem to recover.

finance.yahoo.com...

Keeps looking worse.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join