It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Well, that's human nature for you. Cover up, lie. Isn't that how it usually goes?

Before I go on a semi-rant here, star and flag for you OP for the thread and story.

But I mean seriously. Big companies are GREAT at one thing: Do whatever it takes, the cheapest way to maximize profits.

A valve which cost what, 500K which wouldn't even put a dent in the companies profits wasn't installed, something which could have diverted this disaster. Why? Like I said above, do it the cheapest way to maximize profits.

It's only when SHTF that a company is held responsible it seems. It's like, companies get to do whatever they want free from insight until something happens. Then it's, "You've been a bad boy!". I mean come on.

Now it's not just the companies fault, it's also the governments for not ensuring that they (the company) is doing everything it can to ensure stuff like this can't happen.

I get so fed up with big oil businesses and the governments who succle at their teet. Especially when things go wrong and end up destroying the very precious surroundings (and life within it) around us.

/Rant

FK

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Hell I don't even care if this drives the prices of gas to $5 dollars

I think the real catastrophe here is the amount of life that will be killed, because of us and our irresponsibility and our love for pieces of paper that we worship as if they are gods.

I'm sick of this crap, I seriously think we urgently need a massive natural disaster to kill of much of our species so we can start over again and bring back balance to mother Earth.
And this is the problem with environtmentalist, where anmals are more important than humans...scary , scary people.

Say hey, how are those polar bears doing anyway? last I heard they were floating away on an ice float...Global warming much?

...I'm just sayin'

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
1 - Humans are animals, a special kind of animals, but are as part of the ecosystem and "tree of life" as a Bee.

2 - I do not think the rest of the animals are more important per se, but they are important to us, as we are a part of something bigger than the nice SUV you'r driving. We are part of a symbiotic system, as bacteria are part of our system, but we keep thinking ourselves as the Chosen Ones, that only need the brains to survive, almost as if we didn't belong here.... hmmm...
Nope, we are an Organ, a Limb of the Earth life system. it's not tree-hugging, it's science.

And if we keep this way, it's not the planet that's going away, IT'S US... The earth will just start over and over as it always did...
I'm just trying to say that if we want to keep being a part of the earthly community we need to SEVERELY change how we see and think our position in this god-forsaken planet...

Sleep tight

Drakus.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The problem is that most people aren't capable of seeing the bigger picture here; or don't want to. Once the Gulf Coast resorts and restaurants and seafood supplies become contaminated, then people will start seeing the impact. Until their own personal worlds are affected, they stay ignorant of the situation. If Mexico or other countries become affected from this, then the political aspects will also come into play. I don't think this is over by a long shot.

And as far as a sea floor collapse and possible tsunami, who do you think will be blamed for that? We will. It would be seen as a devastating event caused by us. We will be judged harshly on that, don't doubt it one bit.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
oh boy big trouble. can you imagine 10miles long 3 miles wide 300ft thick? thats half of Manhattan and there a bunch of does we just got a rough estimate."Scientists studying video of the gushing oil well have tentatively calculated that it could be flowing at a rate of 25,000 to 80,000 barrels of oil a day. The latter figure would be 3.4 million gallons a day"That is far worst than what was originally estimated by the government of 210,000 gallons of oil a day.

The End If Finally Near>>

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
things like this just prove how powerless we all really are to do anything at all to change things.

this is why even if i disagreed with the red shirts in thailand at least they have the sack to actually make a showing and tell their government they dont like the way things are being done. What do we do? sit in the comfort of our homes and rant like this.....

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
www.pbs.org...

Link to a 'gulf leak meter.'

also read this from a NYT article: BP has resisted entreaties from scientists that they be allowed to use sophisticated instruments at the ocean floor that would give a far more accurate picture of how much oil is really gushing from the well.

“The answer is no to that,” a BP spokesman, Tom Mueller, said on Saturday. “We’re not going to take any extra efforts now to calculate flow there at this point. It’s not relevant to the response effort, and it might even detract from the response effort.”

This is treason. How could BP be calling the shots? Treason. This is war.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
ALL I HAVE 2 SAY THIS WILL GO ON 4 A YEAR MAYBE MORE LATS TALK THEN UNTILL THEN GET UR GUNS AND START SHOOTING MF AT BP
THEY HAVE ALREADY COLLECTED INSURANCE AND ONLY HAVE 2 PAY 4 THE DAMAGE UPTOILL A SURTHEN NUMBER THIS WAS VERY WELL PLANNED I READ ON ATS
STICK THAT IN UR PIPE AND SMOKE IT

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
THIS IS AN INSIDE JOB AND THEY WILL START WW 3 BECUSE OF THE AFTERMATH MARK MY WORDS

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Here's a thought: If we waste the gulf we will likely waste half the coast of Mexico etc. How can we ever compensate for all this(not all BP's fault; our government allowed it and Obama supports offshore drilling in theory and actions...)? We can't, we blew it and we know it. The least we could do is completely open the boarder for those getting the hell off the stinking dead coast. Pay with our land for what we have destroyed. Mexico would have the right to take back a few states for this nightmare we unleashed. No? Oh well just a future thought then.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Mind
I have not heard or seen anything about the government trying to help.

Please check this thread then.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This was also posted on pg 2.

Originally posted by Soular System
Latest headlines?

Barack Obama sends nuclear experts to tackle BP's Gulf of Mexico oil leak

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Hope that helps.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Now here's a question for the appropriate experts out there:

Assuming:

A. The leak isn't stemmed before a hurricane hits.

B. The subsurface plumes don't dissipate or they grow more extensive.

C. There are subsurface methane-saturated plumes also.

D. A hurricane passes over the leak zone.

E. The low pressure lifts the sea over the leak zone.

Then:

A. Wouldn't that set of assumptions lead one to think there would be a strong possibility of the methane hydrates sublimating out of the floor due to cumulative pressure changes?

B. A runaway sublimation process could begin, leading to

C. A seafloor collapse in the leak zone resulting in:

D. A combination hurricane and tsunami with both wind and water filled with hydrocarbons?

Please tell me I'm wrong and worrying needlessly.

I've posted the evidence supporting this thought in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

" Please tell me I'm wrong and worrying needlessly."

I hope so Apacheman, I truly hope so.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You're right! And then moments later it will trigger the Yellowstone caldera to ignite and the crazy new gravitational forces will summon in a meteor the size of Texas, which will direct hit a nuclear power plant thereby mutating a pissed off oil covered sea turtle into GODZILLA!! Even Japan isn't safe! AAHHHH!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FearNoEvil

He's too busy making sick jokes about predator drones.

You know, they said that peat moss absorbs the oil. There's about as ecologically of an alternative as you can get. A cubic yard is like 6 bucks at Home Depot...time for British Petroleum to get off their assets and start hauling it out there.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

If you wish to debate, fine. Look at the evidence, find counter-evidence, and present your case.

I'm not generally an alarmist, and never panic. But I can research, collate what I find, and draw reasonable conclusions from the evidence.

Go look at my sources and show me where I've erred, and I'll happily breath a sigh of relief and thank you.

But you haven't offered any proof to support your position, so if it's all the same to you, I'll continue to research and acknowledge genuine possibilities, and try to figure out how to deal with it if it does happen.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

As others have stated 'you shouldn't be wishing for things like what you said... most of us on this planet have not contributed to this....

And as for the actual 'Oil Leak' ha! that's a laugh... oil leak!! It gets worse everyday... every time i see one of these threads on it, it's like 'wow, even worse than it was yesterday'...

What a mess!!

EDIT: Wouldn't surprise me if the CEO's were out sipping champagne on some Company Yacht!

[edit on 16-5-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is a crazy situation and I absolutely hate reading about it (but I try to read most of the threads I see on it). All of the great minds and technology in the world, and we're being potentially devastated by oil?

I think this helps illustrate a 'worst case scenario' in regards to offshore drilling and like Dredge pointed out, once it reaches shore it will become personal for a lot of people.

While I realize the newer greener energies and alternatives to oil dependence aren't anywhere close to the mass market and usage level yet, this makes me sincerely hope for some astounding breakthroughs in my life time.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Dude, you're implying that a the seafloor is going to drop out right while a hurricane hits thereby releasing a tsunami 49 miles of off the LA coastline... and want to be taken seriously? You've been watching the overhype fearmonger mainstream media for far too long.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Much ado about nothing. Wait and see, in two weeks time you alarmist and gloomers will be back on to 2012 or Nibirou or whatevEr its called or some other ridiculous theory to spread your doom and gloom to the masses.
This leak is almost contained, BP will have it piped in within 2 to 3 days and skimmer boats will skim for another week or so, it will never devastate the shore lines and we can begin worrying about something really dangerous like...GLOBAL WARMING!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join