It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf

www.msnbc.msn.com

NEW YORK - Scientists are finding enormous oil plumes in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, including one as large as 10 miles long, 3 miles wide and 300 feet thick. The discovery is fresh evidence that the leak from the broken undersea well could be substantially worse than estimates that the government and BP have given.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SABOTAGE: Did Halliburton lay waste to Gulf Rig with explosives?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

“There’s a shocking amount of oil in the deep water, relative to what you see in the surface water,” said Samantha Joye, a researcher at the University of Georgia who is involved in one of the first scientific missions to gather details about what is happening in the gulf. “There’s a tremendous amount of oil in multiple layers, three or four or five layers deep in the water column.”

The plumes are depleting the oxygen dissolved in the gulf, worrying scientists, who fear that the oxygen level could eventually fall so low as to kill off much of the sea life near the plumes.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on Sat May 15 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Another related story, if you're interested:

Gulf Oil Spill: Ties to Cheney and Acoustic Switch Not Installed

+8 more 
posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This is just sick, I don't care that BP is losing money...

Hell I don't even care if this drives the prices of gas to $5 dollars

I think the real catastrophe here is the amount of life that will be killed, because of us and our irresponsibility and our love for pieces of paper that we worship as if they are gods.

I'm sick of this crap, I seriously think we urgently need a massive natural disaster to kill of much of our species so we can start over again and bring back balance to mother Earth.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the people to come here and tell me that "this is not as bad as it seems" and that "the oil spill is small compared to the size of the gulf of mexico."

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Who is that person again... JustWondering I think it was? I don't imagine she'll show her face in here. Perhaps to bow her head in shame. We'll see... Completely disgusting. Now we need to plan for an even worse outcome... Sea bed collapse towards the point where all this pressure was stored.

I'm trying to work with a gentleman who has experience in the matter. I hope we'll be able to pinpoint possible areas. Keep an eye on the linked threads...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

I think the real catastrophe here is the amount of life that will be killed, because of us and our irresponsibility and our love for pieces of paper that we worship as if they are gods.

I'm sick of this crap, I seriously think we urgently need a massive natural disaster to kill of much of our species so we can start over again and bring back balance to mother Earth.

No need to be talking like that... It's the .01% of the population that led to this disaster. If you want to reference extermination, it's a really short list.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
To counter these observations we of course have BP talking more trash...

Dispersants working, BP says

Video Link

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I had a feeling it was going to be far worse than anyone had imagined. In grief over this, I'm pretty sure the gulf is going to be a dead zone for a long time. We should all be grieving this...you can't just blow this off and hope for the best. I had just come from MSNBC and wondered if anyone here had read this too.

It's probably the biggest environmental catastrophes I've seen in my nearly 60 years on the earth. I truly am in grief.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I agree with most of what you're saying, but why do me and other people (and I don't own a vehicle by the way) need to be killed off for what untouchable corporations and politicians have a hand in? I shouldn't have to die for anyone's stupidity except my own!

[edit on 15-5-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
I had a feeling it was going to be far worse than anyone had imagined. In grief over this, I'm pretty sure the gulf is going to be a dead zone for a long time. We should all be grieving this...you can't just blow this off and hope for the best. I had just come from MSNBC and wondered if anyone here had read this too.

It's probably the biggest environmental catastrophes I've seen in my nearly 60 years on the earth. I truly am in grief.

This is sizing up to be a game-changer. I'd Love to pound some heads right now. We should be making every available effort to stop this gusher. It's not only the pollution we're facing, but sea floor collapse in certain areas.

I go back to TARP. Where are the emergency funds to fix real problems not pad some bastard's back pocket. I'm about as
as it gets...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Slightly off topic but this disaster got me wondering
and I hope a Geologist or someone can answer one question for me.

With all the natural earth movements, earthquakes,plate movements etc.

Why has an Oil field never been exposed? Have we just been very, very lucky or is there a reason. It would be a true disaster.....

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Every day that goes by, I blame Obama.

Right now, Obama needs to get in BPs face and demand BP consider alternative solutions. Obama needs to sit in the damn meetings and use his brain, determine a solution and force BP to execute it.

What a slacker!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

They say they suspect the heavy use of chemical dispersants, which BP has injected directly into the stream of oil emerging from the well, may have broken the oil up into droplets too small to rise rapidly.

Chemical dispersants causing this. They've never done any of this before and they don't know what will happen when they try these things. For the life of me, I cannot understand why they thought that adding unnatural chemicals to the gulf was a good idea in the first place.

We deserve everything we get with this one...

And this:

“Right now it looks like the oil is moving southwest, not all that rapidly.”

explains why we have seen the oil on the gulf coast. Maybe, just maybe, at least the marshes could be spared.

She suspects that oil-eating bacteria are consuming the oxygen at a feverish clip as they work to break down the undersea plumes.

I must've missed the oil-eating bacteria solution... did we do this too????

[edit on 15/5/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearNoEvil

Right now, Obama needs to get in BPs face and demand BP consider alternative solutions. Obama needs to sit in the damn meetings and use his brain, determine a solution and force BP to execute it.

What a slacker!

He is busy. It seems he wants to recriminalize a natural herb. That would help his friends in big pharma, since the prozac in the water isn't cutting it.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I must've missed the oil-eating bacteria solution... did we do this too????

I believe the reference was to the natural forming bacteria although it wouldn't surprise me if they added more untested crap.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I think the real catastrophe here ill be the HUMAN LIFE that will be killed if you get your wish. The odds are you or some in your family will be included.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Gulf oil spill turning ‘unbelievably bad'

WASHINGTON – With a quick solution ominously uncertain, the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is on track to become an unprecedented economic and environmental disaster with millions of gallons of oil destroying an ecosystem as well as a way of life.
BP America said Monday that it would take another 75 days to finish one of two relief wells it’s drilling to shut down the flow.
By then, if the spill doesn’t worsen and the relief well stops the leak, some 20 million gallons of oil will be swirling in the Gulf, nearly double the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989.
Unlike the Alaska spill, which coated a rock-strewn bay, BP’s oil will cling to a spongelike coast, entering the pores of mangrove forests and sea-grass beds and the breeding grounds for crabs, shrimp and oysters.
Already some of the richest fishing grounds of the Gulf are off-limits, idling thousands of commercial fishermen.
Some restaurants in New Orleans and elsewhere are either out of homegrown oysters or are down to less than a week’s supply.
In Mississippi, charter boats and hotels are reporting declines in business.
“It’s going to be unbelievably bad,” said Jeremy Jackson, a professor of oceanography at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, Calif. “This is a problem that won’t go away for a decade.”
Ryan LaFontaine, a spokesman for the city of Gulfport, Miss., said Gulf leaders were in almost constant contact with federal and BP officials, including a daily conference call with people at the White House. LaFontaine said no one had much advice.
“The best protection right now, aside from booms and underwater fencing or everybody linking hands along the beach and trying to blow the oil back out, is to get this thing shut off,” LaFontaine said. “Just stop it. That’s the protection we need.”
The Gulf’s coastal sea-grass beds and mangroves are full of burrowing animals that make millions of holes. Oil works its way out of the holes eventually and then storms flush it back into the water, creating what amounts to a new spill.
Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., an opponent of offshore drilling, said it would be his “worst nightmare” if the oil flowed for nearly three months more until the relief well was complete.
“It’s going to cover up the Gulf Coast and the wind is eventually going to keep it going south, and it’s going to get into the Loop Current,” Nelson said.
Another concern is the possibility that the spill will get much worse. If the wellhead gave way entirely, the amount of oil would increase greatly, said Larry McKinney, the executive director of the Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies at Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi.
When storms blow up – hurricane season begins June 1 – the oil will be driven into the marshes and “then the problem will build up more and more, because you just can’t stop it,” McKinney said.
Developments Tuesday
• Interior Secretary Ken Salazar announced that the Minerals Management Service, which oversees offshore leasing, will be split in two. The agency has been viewed as being too cozy with the industry it regulates.
• After floating for hours in life boats after the disaster, platform workers were greeted by officials onshore asking them to sign statements that they had no “first-hand or personal knowledge” of the incident, their attorneys said Tuesday.
“These men are told they have to sign these statements or they can’t go home,” said Tony Buzbee, a Houston-based attorney for 10 Transocean workers.
• The rig site continued to discharge about 210,000 gallons a day.
• An oil containment box known as a “top hat” was being brought to the site. Undersea robots were to position it over the gusher by Thursday. The new device is much smaller than one that failed over the weekend.
• Top executives from three companies involved in the disaster faced a barrage of questions on Capitol Hill. And there was lots of fingperpointing among executives at BP America, which owned the well; Transocean Ltd., which owned the rig; and Halliburton, a contractor on the rig.
News Tribune news services

Disaster: Crude leak could persist through Summer

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have also been following Halliburton Closely. Here is a timeline of Halliburton events from my post, the link to it is found in my signature:

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
Here is a short Timeline:

March 1st : Boots & Coots on March 1 awarded some executives restricted
stock grants at $1.88 a share, and the stock may be sold at the
Halliburton offering price of $3 a share. source

March 31st: Edward “Coots” Matthews, who died on March 31 at 86, founded
the company in 1978 along with Asger “Boots” Hansen. They
previously had worked with Red Adair, famous for his
firefighting skills and portrayed in the 1968 movie “Hellfighters,”
starring John Wayne. source

April 12th : Boots & Coots as the company has agreed to sell out to
Halliburton (HAL) for $240.4 million. Shareholders will get $1.73
in cash and $1.27 in Halliburton stock for every share of Boots
& Coots. source

April 19th : Halliburton Co. said Monday its first-quarter net income fell
46%, as the oil service giant booked one-time costs related to
the devaluation of the Venezuelan currency, while operating
income rose. source

April 20th : Oil services contractor Halliburton Inc. says it safely finished a
cementing operation 20 hours before a Gulf of Mexico rig went
up in flames, killing 11 men and ultimately causing a massive oil
spill.

April 29th : Boots & Coots Inc., the oil well firefighter being bought by
Halliburton Co. for more than $240 million, was sued by an
investor who contends some company officials wrongly stand to
gain a windfall in the deal. source

April 30th : Boots & Coots Inc. of Houston and Amarillo, Texas-based GSM
Enterprises Inc., two of the companies that extinguished
hundreds of oil wells in Kuwait set ablaze by retreating Iraqi
troops in 1990, have been brought in to help cap the leaks.
source

May 3rd : Shares of Boots & Coots (AMEX:WEL) are trading up 1% to
$2.96 today on above average volume. Approximately 1.4
million shares have traded hands today vs. average 30-day
volume of 598,000 shares. source

May 4th : Wall Street has been quick to defend Halliburton, at least based
on the limited information available so far. The stock traded up
74 cents, or 2.4%, to $31.39 on Monday as analysts expressed
confidence that the company was not to blame. source

May 12th : The massive oil spill may now be spewing close to three million
gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. BP, Transocean, and
Halliburton blamed each other for the spill in a recent hearing on
Capitol Hill. sour ce

Ah yes, must show this video.. Everything will be okay, nothing to see here..

[edit on 14-5-2010 by BeastMaster2012]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann

Originally posted by FearNoEvil

What a slacker!

He is busy. It seems he wants to recriminalize a natural herb. That would help his friends in big pharma, since the prozac in the water isn't cutting it.

It amazes me how bass akwards our World is due to a few people... To the men in the shadows of the men in the shadows hope your next life ain't so comfy.

More to your comment... Research how these flamers took initial control. It's almost entirely drug trade and market speculation well before we were born.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join