It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger's solution to California's budget woes: End welfare

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthAboveIgnorance
Good for him for cutting off the people who have no work ethic and feel entitled , to keep the state out of even more debt.

He gets the value of hard work and reaping what you sow. Three careers later he has a true sense of what it means to make your way from nothing.

And shame on the people saying that the consequences for such an act will be dire! The consequence for not doing anything is far worse.

Truth
Thanks for your post. You made a good example. I have not yet really taken any side in this. On one hand I agree with your first statement. On the other I feel when times turn bad the man who has been working for many years deserves some form of limited support. With out seeing what the budget will and will not cut I don't really think I can say if I support or I don't. I can say I don't want people who have just been leaching off the system to keep leaching. In that regard I hope they are all stopped.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Arnold TRIED to deal with this AHEAD of time in case nobody remembers! You know, when the teacher's union allegedly spent *12 million dollars* on advertising against his proposals? And his special called-for vote went down in flames? And he basically had to go public and admit that what he thought was best was obviously not what the voters wanted?

People get the government they deserve. People wanted the unions. Arnie was such a bad guy. [edited to remove a comment that was ... uncalled for, though not horrible, still not kind, and unnecessary.]

When I left California in 1995 I was the last of every acquaintance and extended family we knew to flee like a refugee. It cost 3-4x more for me to rent a U-Haul out of the state than into it. I visited friends in AZ, OR and WA all of whom griped about the astonishing number of 'immigrants from California' in the previous 5 years and how it had affected housing prices.

AS is the best thing that happened to that state in a long time but they made it clear they don't really want things like responsibility or economic viability.

Arnold is trying a last ditch effort to either help or more likely, to force some "in response or in compromise" "reactions" that might in some way help. He has nothing to lose. But it's unlikely anything truly useful in this regard will come to pass.

If there was ever a good example of a state that voted themselves into destitution, it's California.

RC

[edit on 18-5-2010 by RedCairo]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

RedCairo
thanks for your comment. You put forth some good information and experiences. Stared
You say it is unlikely this will pass. I am undecided on that at this point. Best we can do is continue to follow it and post anything that happens with it.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
We've set up a system in which dependency is automatic.

Our educational system is broken.

Compensation for hard work is broken.

Distractions are CHEAP.

Drug-induced vacations are easy and when taken to far are punished with jail sentences that make people money in our privatized corrections system.

This whole way of being doesn't work and cutting welfare will just make it harder on the victims of the system.

Is it a good thing? Why was it such a necessity in the first place would be the better question.

I don't know the demographics in California of welfare recipients, however I will say at the height of Gingrich's "Welfare Queen" remarks, African Americans were only 16% of recipients (sounds more or less equal to their presence in the nation as a whole, though probably slightly higher, because, let's face it, they are not as well off, in spite of the improvements in equality.

Cutting welfare - Privatizing HUD ( blog.buzzflash.com... ) - Privatizing everything... - No corporate oversight - CORPORATE PERSONHOOD - ongoing wars

Yep, sounds like a blast of a time awaits us!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Even back then, I would go see the Dead Kennedys, and I thought we really should kill the poor, sarcasm and Communism were wasted on me...May California lead the way yet again AMEN

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Sphota
thanks for posting the information you did.
I would like to think that the system is not quite as broken as you made it out to be. There will be problems with any society, but I would like to think there will be good things also.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Well as a Californian, I do understand what he is talking about. In the area I live in, the first of every month is called"Mothers Day".
I have to count every dime I spend at the grocery store to feed my family of 5. It is usually less than $100 a week. Wile standing in line behind a woman with several kids trying to decide which EBT card to use.
They have to do something, we are dying here. There is almost no benefit to working in this state. We can not afford the social programs they have in place, and the programs are broken, they do not work. It is nothing more than a hand out, not a helping hand out of poverty, but an excuse to stay in it.
They have to cut spending, they have to cut welfare, they have to cut bloated,unessary jobs in the State Government. But they can't because buisness do not want to open here. It is to hard. The hoops are huge and expensive. So they leave to Nevada or Arizona. That means more on welfare, bleeding more out of the system. It is a catch 22. It does not work.
They need to be more buisness friendly and when the jobs come back, then they need to force those on welfare to get a job. In the meantime, get training for a decient job.
The State is the only one that can fix this problem that they created. They have tied the hands of those in the private sector to fix this mess. They have made it clear that they do not want buisness to come here.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I say he should just go ahead and do it.

That way we can see whats cheaper, welfare, or housing criminals. We could get some really good social data out of that. We could see how much property crimes go up, etc. It would be a really good test to see what if any value Welfare has been adding to the nation. Because its pretty silly to think that most of the people on welfare stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job right now. So we know they are going to have to pursue "alternate" means of producing income.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I got to say, that is one idea that I had not heard before.
I am sure there are some estimates available for it though.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
If he followed in Arizona's footsteps and then did this is would work itself out. But with all of the illegals there aren't any jobs for a lot of people. Oh, yeah, 'those are jobs people don't want'. TOO DAMN BAD. You do the best work you can get to get by, which motivates you to seek out for better work.

It could be argued that without illegals we could afford welfare, and at the same time without illegals we dont need welfare. No?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
did it cross Arnold's mind that if you had no government it would cost nothing to run?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join