It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consider Agnosticism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Well, I think it's completely irrelevant if 'God' exists.

It is totally unprovable either way until we die and / or some sort of settling of accounts on 'Judgement Day' or the subsequent lack of one!

I enjoy reading about and sometime discussing religous matters, but that doesn't qualify me as being either Theist or Atheist.

Both are opposite sides of the same coin and convince themselves that they have 100% faith...but do they?
I don't think anyone can have.
Everyone, regardless of faith, or lack of it, which is a belief system in itself, must have some slight seed of doubt even if it is locked away in some deepest recess of the mind.

No-one can ever, without doubt, unquestionably confirm or deny it.

But why worry about it?

I live my life by a set of values and morals I have set myself.
I try never to intentionally hurt or harm anyone unless provoked or in self-defence etc.
My values follow no particular religion or belief system, just simply something I believe in personally.

If there isn't a 'God', well, so what, at least I've been true to myself and tried to live by what I personally have thought was right.

If there is a 'God' and he is omniescent and omnipotent and has a Welcoming Party to his his Private Members Only After Life Club then I am certain that he will not be so arrogant and egotistical as to demand adherence to a strict set of rules and regulations rather than judge people on the very acts and deeds of their life.

If he he is so arogant and egotistical, well, deal me out, I don't want to go to his party, it'd be crap and boring anyway!

One thing is certain none of us will ever be certain so instead of getting hung up on crap like do we wipe our arse with the correct hand or have we been to confession or was Mary really a virgin why don't we just get on with life and try our best to minimalise the amount of unecessary hurt we cause through our own individual actions.

Organised religion is the bane of mankind!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Organised religion is the bane of mankind!

Couldn't this also read:

Organized anti-religious beliefs are the bane of mankind!

All I'm trying to do is show people that those opposed to religion and those in favor of religion are exactly the same --using the same tactics -- with just different chosen sides of the fence.

Preaching anti-religious messages is no better, nor any different, than preaching pro-religious messages.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Organised religous societies etc control and manipulate people to believe certain sets of rules and regulations.

It can not be proven the Atheist societies would have such a control over believers / population etc as no truly Atheist society of any significance has ever really existed for a considerable length of time...maybe one could argue about France during The Terror or perhaps some communist and fascist regimes but these only lasted a very short period of time.

As such, I stand by what I said:
Organised Religion is the bane of mankind.

Read my post, I clearly state that Atheism and Theism are two opposite sides of the same coin and Atheists can be just as ignorant and bigoted in their opinions as Theists can be!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by slane69
Also disagree with me if you want but agnosticism often seems like a cowards approach to atheism or by extension to nihilism and moral relativism. If you don't believe in a personal god then there is no eternal hope. If no hope then your death now or in 50 years, doesn't matter, may as well die now. If you don't die now your are either a 1) coward or 2) a liar who doesn't really believe what you say you believe.
[edit on 15-5-2010 by slane69]

I like the way you say that. (sarcasm)

God must love people like you!!!!!

Do you feel like the agnostic and the atheist are just a waste of space?

How do you feel towards others who put faith in a different God then yours? Do you love them?

By what age do you think someone may as well die if that person does not believe in a personal God? A child by age 8 maybe? a teenager?an adult or maybe a very matured person at age 80?

Any chance for a person to change their mind near the end of their life by some miracle perhaps?

Any chance that God may be a peace loving, all forgiving entity, who forgives everyone of their crimes and sins, no matter how vile so long so they convert but not an atheist or a agnostic who may have lead a decent life?

What is your religion? Are you the chosen speaker for your particular faith?

Does God speak through you?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This post makes no sense OP.
You titled it to seem as if it were to be about Agnostics.
You then turned it into an Athiest thread.

Agnostic - Belives in SOME sort of higher "power/being/God/etc" however conforms to NO religion

Athiest - Does not believe in religion nor a God

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PublicDefenseCorp

Quack, quack oops.
Methinks you got it wrong.

dictionary.reference.com...
ag·nos·tic   /ægˈnɒstɪk/ Show Spelled[ag-nos-tik]
–noun
1.a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as god, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join