It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music lyrics

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogbert
reply to post by ImaNutter

Dan Fogelburg has not left us. He got PO'd at the labels and is living comfortably on his ranch. He did a PBS special about two years ago. Also, he made a video for Apple's GarageBand on how to play his stuff in 2009.

Wha...? You've got my confused as all get out...

www.danfogelberg.com...

Dan died, dude.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There's always been bad music, but its now in the mainstream. The saddest part about all of this is that kids like that Beiber guy get a record contract, when he doesn't write any of his own music, and the real artists are left to starve. But I guess that's just the way it is. I'm a musician in Atlantic Canada trying to start a band, and unlike 20 years ago when everyone went to listen to bands, people go to the club now and just listen to trance music. It keeps them stupid though, hence why these artists get so much money. "Ya keep making that violent, hateful, materialistic music, and we will give you all the money in the world".

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaNutter

Wow, that's one on me. I watched the PBS special around two years ago; and, i thought it was live. Must have been a rerun. The thing on Garageband 2009 caused me to make another assumption.

Geez. I thought for sure I would have heard about his death as much as I read news every day!

Thanks, i am a dummy and I now humbly eating my crow pie.

My bad--I was confusing the artist with John Fogarty. He is still here--i hope

[edit on 16-5-2010 by ogbert]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Muse has obviously been mentioned. A few Mainstream bands I can throw into the mix with lyrics about anti-capitalism or political awareness would be System of a Down, Neutral Milk Hotel and Regina Spektor.

Granted it is frustrating when all you hear over the radio is rap and watered down rnb/dnb, but there's literally millions of bands out there which are just as easily avaliable to look-up outside the Mainstream Chart, who's only mention is in "alternative" magazines, if that.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
Muse has obviously been mentioned. A few Mainstream bands I can throw into the mix with lyrics about anti-capitalism or political awareness would be System of a Down, Neutral Milk Hotel and Regina Spektor.

Granted it is frustrating when all you hear over the radio is rap and watered down rnb/dnb, but there's literally millions of bands out there which are just as easily avaliable to look-up outside the Mainstream Chart, who's only mention is in "alternative" magazines, if that.

I feel Muse lost their cred once they became associated with Twilight.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A lot of posters are sounding like their parents in this thread..."Music used to be better...it's all noise nowadays...lyrics used to mean something..."

BS! Your just riffing on the generation gap.

Music and lyrics are as meaningful now as they ever have been and probably always will be.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
A lot of posters are sounding like their parents in this thread..."Music used to be better...it's all noise nowadays...lyrics used to mean something..."

BS! Your just riffing on the generation gap.

Music and lyrics are as meaningful now as they ever have been and probably always will be.

Actually, I read this article written in the 60s about how today's music would someday be considered great ... i haven't read anything saying the rap music of today will ever be considered great.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I'm sorry but in some cases this is a flat out lie. Mainstream Hip-hop in the 80's and 90's was far different than it is today. It wasn't all about bitches, booze, clubs, cash, nice cars and bling, a lot of the mainstream hip-hop back then had actual messages.

I dare you to find ONE mainstream hip-hop artist that delivers actual messages these days, besides Eminem.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Not mainstream but certainly more recent. I suggest checking out Lake of Tears (the band), Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Nightwish, and even HB (Christian symphonic rock). Sorry none of these bands arre from the U.S. I find their music to be very original and enjoyable.

I could list a few more but these are certainly my top favorites.

Raist

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

I dare you to find ONE mainstream hip-hop artist that delivers actual messages these days, besides Eminem.

Mainstream? Messages? Eminem? Who cares?

There are plenty of artists, not just hip hop, who are writing very good lyrics and music. Sage Francis is a poet wordsmith. Wu Tang, Raekwon are knocking out 'messages.' Seriously, there's no difference between music now and music from the past. I listen to anything decent from 30s blues to last week's releases...music is as good now as ever

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

reply to post by SpectreDC

I listen to anything decent from 30s blues to last week's releases...music is as good now as ever

Well if that's what you think through your own perception you're free to think so. Just like how I'm free to say that mainstream music for the past decade has sucked ass.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If anyone is intereested in well-written lyrics as well as the heavier/progressive music you could check out any of the following bands:

Cynic
Between the Buried and Me
Devin Townsend

Here are the lyrics to Cynic's "The Space For This"

The Space For This

Space, raise my arms
Space, wake my eyes
Space, grace my heart

Can I be the space for this?

Soft omens
Traced in air
Phantom warnings
Disassembling the Captain's chair

Will I be the space for this?

Breathe out, breathe in

Out of ruins
We've haunted like owls
The future druids
Drop the crystal goblet forming spells

Breathe in, breathe out
Must I bend the sky to realize?

A bundle of thoughts
On a dirty cloth perfumed
To tell you who you are
A bundle of thoughts
On a lonely ghost pursuit
Lost inside the space for this

Raise my arms
Space, wake my eyes
Space, grace my heart

Breathe in, breathe out

Can I be the space for this (I will)?

I can be the space for this
I will be the space for this

I am now the space for this
I am now the space for this
I just bent the sky and realize
----------------------------------------

Happy Listening!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
BTW, to the hipsters on board, i'm not looking for music suggestions, I know plenty of good music, I'm just saying mainstream music has got progressively worse over the past 20 years, especially lyrically.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I don't find myself not liking any of the music I hear or listen to... Maybe because nowadays it's up to us to find out what we LIKE to listen to, not just turn on the radio and listen to what's being played. There aren't many songs on the radio about anything acutely RELEVANT to what's going on here, but I can almost promise that if you look for music that you would like/speaks to you lyrically, you can find it.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by EverythinIrie]

[edit on 26-5-2010 by EverythinIrie]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Brilliant Topic lol, I listen to the Radio most days when I am going about my daily crap.

Some of the lyrics are pathetic, some songs only consist of about 5-10 words in the entire song... Normally to do with Drugs, Whores, Bitches, Blunts and 40's... The point I am making here is most of the music today is sung in some sort of Slang, some new language that makes no fing sense to anyone who isn't on crack or something.

Such a shame music is heading this way, probably why illegal downloads are on the Rise.... Crap's not worth paying for.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join