It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Rig Loss will cause Earthquake pockets around the world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Like night whilst listening to C2C, a smart lady brought the idea that, with the thousands of gallons of oil spewing out of the earth, don't you think it's gonna make a pocket somewhere else and the ground is just gonna let up?

Like the recent case in Canada were a family and their home just caved into a hole in the ground. She speculated that all the oil is gonna create a pocket somewhere else and probably cause the California Earthquake that Edgar Cayce predicts will make it fall into the ocean.

After all the sea turnining black is one of the last signs of the Hopi Prophecies for the end of this civilization.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
How big is the oil field? Have you any links? Depends on the size really but i would think it would be possible.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
How big is the oil field? Have you any links? Depends on the size really but i would think it would be possible.

It's approximately the size of Mount Everest according to most experts.
This was also announced as the second largest deposit ever discovered by BP back in November of 09.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
If at some point the cavern beneath the leak lost its pressure keeping off all that seafloor (was it 17 miles into the seafloor, I don't remember) from caving into the chasm and displacing all that water and oil, would it cause a tsunami?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Pocky

If oil is natures way of radiating heat, one would think it would cause a large loss (sudden loss) of heat dispersion in the Earth. Then Yes, it will cause problems. But maybe all oil wells displace the equivalent each and every day? In wells everywhere? If that case it's the status quo, except that this one's polluting with every drop.

Fortunately, it has caused al gore to stfu.

I saw a horrible geyser or something erupt in the western states. It was just a lot of hot water moving. Not sure where yellowstone is. I was dreaming and awoke not being clear. This is hardly certain, as it was just a dream. It's not like the one where I was a seal and we were heading hard from the shore, one stroke out and one stroke down...as fast as we could.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by davidmann]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

And this is EXACTLY why BP is doing everything it can to salavage this well. There are MANY options that could permanently seal this thing off i.e. drilling deep holes around it and setting off explosives. This is how they've been closing off oil wells for decades. Deep ocean wells are no different. But BP would NEVER want to lose the future potential of profits this well will provide for them. If BP REALLY wanted to shut this thing off it would have been shut off since the beginning.

Why do you think all these fancy contraptions are being thought up only to "contain", or salvage the oil and the well in some way. It's disgusting. The US government should have told BP to get out of the way and they should have set off a goddamn bunker buster around this thing.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I mean is someone telling me that we can send astronauts up into space in a billion dollar space ship but we can't close off a deep oil well in the coean? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Interesting thread. I have wondered this myself recently. I have come to the conclusion in my mind that the void from the loss of crude and gass is being filled by seawater, sediment or gas of some sort. I'm not even close to an expert but I know enough that when something is brought to that much pressure to be shooting out of the pipe, something must be pushing on the oil to create the pressure, thus filling in the void at the same time.

Now could this still cause earthquakes and buckling of the seafloor? Yes I think it can because whatever is replacing the oil I'm sure is not the same material as oil which would act in different ways with its surroundings. Until the pressure equalizes , which I have no Idea when, will the oil stop flowing.

And yes I am talking out my &^% here and almost have no Idea what I am talking about. I am just using a little logic.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
You all realize that there's not some huge cavern the size of mt everest right? Oil reserves are made outta pourus rock and #... not empty space.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Is there any way of knowing how far and in what direction the oil reserve extends underneath the ocean floor? I'm not sure how the oil industry works, but surely blocking the leak off with explosions would only lead to them having to relocate their efforts some miles away with the same reserve if they're THAT desperate for profits out of this shambles.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The Oil rig accident was just that ,AN ACCIDENT.Fixable,damaging but fixable.

Not the portend to armageddon.I am not blinking on this one,listing it but not blinking.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I live in Mississippi, between Gulf Port and Biloxi. A gas station owner friend sent a request to USGS asking this very question.

I just threw the e-mail of their reply away yesterday, because he gave me a copy, and it was laying around here for a week or so.

He was told this is not a possibility, and that there was no earthquake that caused the problem in the first place.

Oil is drilled everywhere. Do all the regions drilling oil have earthquakes?

NO!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
profits???
here have some: what if people (if they WAKE the !@##$up) tell the !@#$ to stuff ther oil down their !@##$%, who's gonna profit from it if noone is paying for it???

i just think they want to destroy this planet (whoever THEY are)

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Send a request to USGS to have them answer your question. They will answer you. As I said, I had a friend ask the very same question, and they got a reply.

Quit trying to scare people!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

I think the oil is just under pressure, maybe from heat and confined space, but not because water is displacing it. I am a complete know nothing in oil dynamics. Some are saying that oil is only in pockets, confined, scattered. Perhaps thats relative to our ability to access them? They may be connected, all around the planet?

(Could they not simply lower a structure heavy enough to counteract the pressure?

Something with a gasketed bottom...pliable, a plastic or some polymer that won't break down from oil or sea water? Surely they have a handle on how much pressure is coming from the source?

It could be a donut, a heavy donut with a valved top, leaving options of controlling it or sealing it.) off topic I know.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by davidmann]

new topics

top topics

join