It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn't Christianity Contradict The Ten Commandments?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I see Christians worshipping a guy hanging on a cross, isn't that against the first commandment?

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
You know...it's irony at a base level....but it makes sense too.

What about thou shalt not covet? If he is a jealous god, I mean......see what Im getting at?

Honor thy father and thy mother? Hey, he is the alpha and the omega...meaning he has no parents. I dont think a perpetual orphan has any right to tell me how to treat my 'rents.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yeah...Tell THAT to some catholics.

second line for fluff...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

I don't think it's Christianity that violates the ten commandments so much as some practices by some Christians.

It's common to see worship of images, like Jesus on the cross, or the Virgin Mary, and yes it occurred to me worshiping those images would seem to be a violation. But if the images are not worshiped, maybe it's not a violation:

www.religioustolerance.org...

Today's faith groups often violate the literal interpretation of this Commandment. It is very difficult to find a church in North America that does not display some object which is a likeness of a crucifix, dove, host, cross, burning bush, lamb, saint, member of the Holy Family, or some other entity found in heaven, earth, or under the earth. "...our churches are filled with them, from crosses to crucifixes to tabernacles to ambreys to icons to stations of the cross."

Roman Catholics make extensive use of statutes of Jesus, Mary, and the other saints. Many wear crucifixes showing Jesus being tortured to death on the cross. Eastern Orthodox churches make extensive use of icons. The Roman Catholic church interprets this Commandment as prohibiting only the worship of statues and images, not their display. "Catholic teaching distinguishes between veneration (dulia) -- which is paying honor to God through contemplation of objects such as paintings and statues, and adoration (latria) -- which is properly given to God alone."

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
For starters, Catholics don't "worship" statues. Statues, crosses, and the like are all reminders of God's presence in our lives.

No one in their right mind actually worships these items in and of themselves.

Catholics worship the Triune God - God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Three in one. Or, as St. Patrick is said to have described the Triune God concept as being similar to a three-leaf clover - Each leaf is a part of the whole.

Prayers said to the Virgin Mary and Saints are prayers for intercession to the Triune God. Jews do not believe in intercession, and believe that one should only pray to God the Father alone.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2
[more

First off, you have to understand that there are many different sects in Christianity. They are all unique in some way. Do not for once think that they all worship the same god.

Now to answer your question: the commandment you are referring to does say to worship god and only god. Also I see that you brought up the "idols". Now, as I have explained above, there are a few groups who follow the teachings of Jesus, yet do not worship him. These groups realize the contradiction you are talking about. They worship god and only god. You should probably be specific when you say Christianity or Christians, if you are going to discuss their teachings.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

"Christ", literally "anointed one"...Jesus

Christianity is a monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as presented in the New Testament.

And Christians are worshipping Christ. They even ask him for forgiveness.

If they aren't worshipping Christ then they aren't Christians, right? And now you are telling me I have to be more specific about what kind of christianity i'm talking about!!!! Wow..religion is very confusing.

Talk about a major Contadiction, let me repeat this one. You have to ask Jesus to forgive your sins.

Why do I need a middle man? Why can't I just ask God for forgiveness? Why can't it just be that simple and not so dang confusing?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Are you going to base religion on literal meanings from Wikipedia? Listen, if you want your information go out and find it yourself. Last I checked I am categorized as a Christian yet I do not worship Christ. I worship god. I understand how someone like you would seem to think that all Christians worship Christ and not God.

You CANNOT define religion.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

Christianity has already been defined, you cant change it!
And yes, you can define Christianity!

If you are not worshipping Christ then you aren't a Christian, that is what I know from personal experience.

It is what it is and if it's different then it's probably called something else, i'm not talking about something else, i'm talking about Christianity.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Christianity is absolutely CRAMMED full of these kinds of simple logical errors. The Old Testament is especially glaring what with God coming down and telling people Thou Shalt Not Kill and then going around smiting people and telling the Israelites to kill others and wipe whole civilizations off the map. I mean look what happened at Jericho, I'm sure there were hundreds if not thousands of innocent children in that city but does God spare them? NOPE.

Any God who cannot follow his own commandments is a false one.

The whole thing is mind bogglingly nonsensical. When I was a kid it was easy to believe, kept in line by constant trips to Church to feed from the mouth of madness but as you get older and begin to question yourself and your beliefs.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Exactly, I grew up in a Christian church helped keep me in line. Once I did grow up, though, everything sounded ridiculous and it amazes me people don't question the roots of religion.

When you question some people they change the definition.

However, it is good for the kids, helps keep them in line. lol

[edit on 15-5-2010 by earth2]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
There are many false religions. There are many false churches in those religions. Make a list of all the Christian religions and mark them off one at a time when they do something contradictory to what the bible says.

Idol worship? The Catholics are the first to be marked off the list.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

so, in a way, you are praying to a demi god to have your prayers answered.not much difference in an ancient greek praying to dioynisus for a great party or to poseidon for calm seas. why do sailors pray to st. elmo? elmo is not god. mary is not a goddess yet people pray to her. where does it say in scripture to pray to her? she is a creation ( yes, she did exist) by the catholic church for women. they realized they were losing women and had to come up with something for them.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Christians pick and choose what they want to apply from the bible according to their own agenda. Otherwise, Christians would stone homosexuals to death.

Great post. Reveals just how the christian faith has lost all relevancy in the modern world (i.e. where we the people actually think for ourselves, rather than being told to do).

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

so, in a way, you are praying to a demi god to have your prayers answered.not much difference in an ancient greek praying to dioynisus for a great party or to poseidon for calm seas. why do sailors pray to st. elmo? elmo is not god. mary is not a goddess yet people pray to her. where does it say in scripture to pray to her? she is a creation ( yes, she did exist) by the catholic church for women. they realized they were losing women and had to come up with something for them.

Saints are not gods, or even demi-gods, according to Catholic doctrine. Mary is the Mother of God, but not God.

Again, and I will repeat what I said before: Catholics believe only in the Triune God - God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Idol worship? The Catholics are the first to be marked off the list.

Catholics don't worship idols. Sorry. You are misinformed.

The cross, and church statues, are not worshiped. They are simply reminders. They are not worshiped in and of themselves as any kind of deity.

The only God that Catholics worship is the Triune God - God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

To suggest that Catholics worship idols is not only untrue, but it's also grossly misinformed.

Why do I need a middle man? Why can't I just ask God for forgiveness? Why can't it just be that simple and not so dang confusing?

No one ever said that you need a middle man. Catholics pray directly to God all the time. In fact, in the traditional Catholic Mass, part of the prayers are direct pleas to God for forgiveness.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I see Christians worshipping a guy hanging on a cross, isn't that against the first commandment?

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yes, I agree that the cross that so many professed Christians wear/venerate is a violation of the ten commandments. I also agree that God contradicts himself when he states that he is a 'jealous' God for how can one who IS love be jealous?

I read a book a few years back entitled "Jehovah Unmasked" by Nathaniel J. Merritt. Although it had it's flaws it was a very interesting read and some of the points that were brought up made me think. There is such a vast difference between the God of the New Testament and the God of the Old Testament? Why is that? Perhaps because they aren't the same person? Could the god described in the Old Testament actually be Satan? Think about all the lies and deceit starting from the Garden of Eden, how God instructed groups of people (including women, children and animals) to be slaughtered...does this match up to the loving God Jesus describes?

I know that there is a lot more in the book but as I said it's been a few years since I have read it. Interesting concept though!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
We...Christians... don't worship the image of Jesus on the cross. We keep those images as a reminder to us of the sacrifice Jesus and God made...He was the sacrifice to cleanse us of our sins.

We worship Jesus, not instead of God, but because Jesus is God... in the flesh...on this Earth... and now, in the Spirit.

The way I explain this to little children in my class is this... there is Ice...it can melt and be Water...it can evaporate and be vapor. Same thing in three forms.

Likewise, I understand God as the Father in Heaven... as the Son, Jesus, here on earth in the flesh, and... as the Holy Spirit. All existing at the same time...in different, distinct forms. Can you wrap your mind around that? Just like an ice cube partially melting into water, all the while evaporating as vapor.

The word "jealous" does not mean envious... it means God shares us with no other gods. Our relationship with God is often described in metaphor as a marriage. He is faithful to us, God expects us to be faithful to Him. He will tolerate our infidelity for only so long, then He will cut us lose to our own indiscretions and consequences. Yet, at any time... no matter how unfaithful...He will forgive and take us back if we seek forgiveness.

The Book of Hosea is just that. God tells Hosea to marry a harlot. She continues her lifestyle...always hurting Hosea despite his love for her. Hosea mourns her cheating on him, her joy in his pain. that's how God is with us... it pains Him to see us follow after sin, betraying the trust He put in us. Yet, in the end He takes us back.

As for the killing of those in Jericho...if you do some in depth research, the inhabitants of Jericho were Nephillum and Raphium...giants and descendants of the fallen angels. they were Satan's attempt to defile the blood line of Jesus. God destroued them in the flood of Noah, and Joshua was ordered to destroy them here at Jericho. The giants/Nephillum are another well treaded thread all together...look it up.

Anyway, the worship of God and Jesus and reading of His teachings in no way contradict the 10 Commandments.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Originally posted by earth2

No, it isn't.

Since Jesus is regarded as God incarnate, technically those who worship Jesus are worshiping the One God. So no Commandments are broken.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
people people people, can you believe what we are hearing in this thread?? the poster for sure didnt read the bible , studied, or he wouldnt ask such a question about worshiping jesus. The bible is clear on jesus's role in gods plan. Jesus himself said not to bow down to him for he comes from the father, and is the ransom for our sins. Only through believing that god gives him the power to clean our sins, do we get reborn. We are not worshiping jesus, we are worshiping god by acknowledging jesus's role in the cleansing of our sin.
People read the bible , study the bible with people who know the meanings of the bible--I sugest JEHOVAH'S WITNESS, or SEVENTH DAY EVANGELIST for starters. It take years to grasp the truths of the bible. Or for the ordinary just take it on faith.
this thread is here to attack the true message of gods plan. It is a false religion simply because the poster contradicts god almighy's real measage .-- LOVE, in this adminastration we are in, is the only commandment. Read the bible and study it for there are many points to feed the non-believers in their quest to disclaim it as the word of god. That is his plan for mortals. To want to get closer to god you must study study study and then you will be enlightened as to the truth of evil.
Remember first that we are pawns in the struggle between god and created imortal beings who wanted to be god-like and created evil. EVIL IS DISOBEDIANCE AGAINST THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE WHICH GOD GAVE CREATION . We play out the effects of disobedience, of evil manifested in creation. God will cleanse evil from creation, jesus will wash are sins that we commit from evil being in our lives. to those who were not hardened, will be reborn to walk and live without evil on a new earth-those who only believed in themselves and had a hardened heart, worshiped wrong things will not raise from the dead to life but judged and turned off again forever. Remember death comes to us all every night when we sleep, we know nothing, see nothing, feel nothing till we are awakened each morning--that is hell-the grave, death-nothing, After living your life and not searching out god, for he calls everyone some listen some deny, god will waste no more time with your soul, he will show your denials, and simply put you to sleep again forever. justly so.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join