It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychological Issue?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure this is where my thread needs to go.

Anyways, I have this issue that's been bugging me for..well.....a long time now. Ever since I could remember. I don't/can't/struggle to look at peoples eyes when I talk to them. It could be men, women, and even children. Doesn't matter.

Now, I'm not saying I LITERALLY can't make eye contact with someone. As soon as as I do, I quickly look away. Almost like I'm bashful, which I was was when I was younger, but not anymore. The problem still persists! When I actually force myself to look at someone's eyes when I'm talking or listening, it's a struggle. It almost feels like it pains me to make eye contact with someone for more than a couple of seconds.

Is this normal? I mean, I'm not sure why it's so difficult to do so and all I could think of is if this was a psychological issue or something.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Hope so!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I used to have the exact same thing
Really when i looked at people it felt like my eyes where going to pop out! It almost stressed them!, I think its due to being aware of it and we are trying way to hard to make that eye contact seem normal,

It takes time but you will be able to do it, Just smile when you talk to people and blink a good few times, Do it in small doses! Make conversation but end it and walk away, If you keep doing this it will get easter,

have a distraction like something in your hand so that when you feel like its too much kinda just direct it all to your hand, I used to carry a small pebble in my pocket,

You will get there,
It just takes a little time and some small effort,
Don't give up!! As i know it can really make you feel like there is something wrong with you,

Take it in small steps, And im here if you need to talk about it

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You don't have to answer this, I just wanted to give you a thought. Were you abused in chidlhood? This is common in people who were abused, especially sexually. To look into someone's eyes is intimate, and if you have a secret like that, you may feel like people can "see into you". It's like a sort of protection mechanism, not to be intimate and make yourself "vulnerable" to the person. Just something to ask yourself. If this is true, please get counseling because it will change your life.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by StealthyKat]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I go through that phenomenon from time to time.

A friend of mine who suffers from a similar shyness taught me a little trick:

Instead of focusing on the eyes of your conversational partner,
focus instead on the spot right between their eyebrows.

They can't tell, and it helps ease you back into eye contact when you feel ready.

I tried it for a while, and it worked wonders.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Yes, I actually was when I a lot younger.

new topics

top topics

join