It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand the Christian religion.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You can be a believer in God and not be a believer in the bible. The bible is just a source of beliefs for the Christian religion. I already made it clear earlier that I'm an agnostic. So, it doesn't necessarily mean that I'm a non believer. I may not believe in the Christian religion, but, I don't necessarily believe there couldn't be a God.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

You can be a believer in God and not be a believer in the bible. The bible is just a source of beliefs for the Christian religion. I already made it clear earlier that I'm an agnostic. So, it doesn't necessarily mean that I'm a non believer. I may not believe in the Christian religion, but, I don't necessarily believe there couldn't be a God.
You can believe however you wish man, on the day of judgment, it'll be you and Him, it's between you and Him.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Is that all you Christians have? Whenever someone questions your sacred text you think that anyone who doesn't believe it is just a nonbeliever or a heretic? I think that a lot of you and the people in this topic probably haven't even read the bible or read any of the texts, and, have just charry picked quotes that they've heard people tell them at Church. Then, when someone goes out and questions the different books, you tell people that they're going to go to hell, or, be judged, as a nonbeliever? I think that is completely immature. I will believe in what I want to. Thank you very much.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Frankie. Don't assume. Notyourtypical said

" it will be you and him "

you don't know if it was out of judgement. He's saying imo that that's between you two.

and btw I see entire athiest websites devoted to mis interpreting scripture BIGTIME without reading surrounding text and causes a whole crap load of people who don't want God to be real to rebel.

I have read the bible inside outside upsidedown any way you can imagine and it makes tons of sense to me.

peace.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Jesus who was God on earth, mentioned books of the Bible.

From the Gideons:
The Bible is the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation,
the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding; its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you. It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword, and the Christian’s character.

Here paradise is restored, heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed. Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure. Follow its precepts and it will lead you to Calvary, to the empty tomb, to a resurrected life in Christ.”

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being" ; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.-1Cor15.45

For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?-1Cor10.29

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.-Rom3.21

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig

According to the book of John Jesus was the son of God. He wasn't God himself. In fact, the reason why he said that he was down on Earth was to get people to believe in God. He wanted people to believe in him so they could believe that God was real. I think that the whole point of the book of John was for theologians to show, or, from oral history, to try to make an attempt to show that Jesus was sent to Earth to get people to believe again.

And I guess what I would say now, is that, now I understand the Christian religion a bit better. I just fundamentally disagree with the teachings, as some of them go too far, and, I disagree with its main tenants. I don't think that necessarily believing in Jesus is only enough for the spirit that passes judgment on you in the afterlife. You have to live your life the way that you want to. Not how a book tells you to do it. I think a lot of people will read the bible and completely miss the point of what it is trying to say. It's mixed with a lot of metaphors, and, I don't think that it's intended for people to take them 100% literally.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Please, I don't want you to try to convert me. You won't. I'm an agnostic. First of all, I would want to say that I'm trying to read the Christian religious scriptures so that I can gain more of an understanding of the Christian religion. I read the Roman scriptures already. I have a few problems with that.

Keep reading the Bible from beginning to end and you will get all the answers you need. I promise you that by the time you are done, ALL of your questions will be answered.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This might help some understand Christianity.

Surprising. A Christian Bishop speaking truth. Hell.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Hell, or any place of otherworldly punishment, is a demonstrably immoral construct that any moral God would never create or need.

If you answer these honestly, you will agree.

Is it just for a man to only be able to sin for 120 years and then have to spend eternity in punishment and torture?

Punishment is given to change actions and attitudes in character. Repentance, in other words.
Is it just to punish or torture if these cannot be accomplished?

Would death then not be the moral thing to do?

Regards
DL

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am
This might help some understand Christianity.

Surprising. A Christian Bishop speaking truth. Hell.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Hell, or any place of otherworldly punishment, is a demonstrably immoral construct that any moral God would never create or need.

If you answer these honestly, you will agree.

Is it just for a man to only be able to sin for 120 years and then have to spend eternity in punishment and torture?

Punishment is given to change actions and attitudes in character. Repentance, in other words.
Is it just to punish or torture if these cannot be accomplished?

Would death then not be the moral thing to do?

Regards
DL
Quit thinking of God in terms of humans. You have to try and understand that God is infinitely holy, and eternal. Therefore being separated from Him is also eternal for the unholy.

But why worry about Hell? If you don't want to go there simply ask God to forgive you of your sins. Salvation is a free gift to anyone who humbles themselves, agrees with God that they are a sinner, and asks for His forgiveness.

Check out Isaiah 1:18:

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join