It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deleting Facebook a top Google search

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 30_seconds

OK..

So why don't they just track everything google does? Ad's on the internet are already tracking you anyway, so...

Good example would be ATS. Their banners on the top conform to where you live. For example they had an advertisement for some Sarasota company on the top of mine.. I know that isn't a national advertisement.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Sorry, to answer you question ...
Universities for one - and anyone/company/business/agency who needs a coverall base of statistical information. It can be honed from such a source.
Just one keyword and a region of demographic specific information: lets say 'Car' and 'Age: 18-35'
Then you gather a bulk of information - then you slice it up again and again, until you have an enormous amount of sub data relative to Car and Age. Model, colour, cost, demographic, new, second hand, likes, dislikes, accidents, most favourite .... these are standard chit chat things people may offer up, and maybe not in one post, but over several entries ...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

OK..

I guess my reply is simply.. So what?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

OK..

So why don't they just track everything google does? Ad's on the internet are already tracking you anyway, so...

Good example would be ATS. Their banners on the top conform to where you live. For example they had an advertisement for some Sarasota company on the top of mine.. I know that isn't a national advertisement.

Maybe because the policy and user agreements differ in some way and they have the ability to gather, collec,t use, and sell their data more efficiently and cost effectively.

Yes, I love the ATS bank thread at the moment where 50,000 people are in a class action law suit to sue the bank, and the ad in the banner or side bar is for one of the banks being sued LOL.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
What? Didn't hear about that, can you link this?

Thanks

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Smiggle

OK..

I guess my reply is simply.. So what?

They have changed the boundaries on their terms in mid flight - and many dont underatnd or know where their information is now, how it is really used, why, and what next.
Its not just privacy but security also ...

22nd April 2010
www.bbc.co.uk...

A computer hacker has advertised for sale what appear to be the passwords and login details of 1.5 million users of the social networking site, Facebook.
The details are being offered on a website in Russia, in groups of 1,000 for up to $45 a batch.

or the very tragic side of people not understanding what can happen on any networking site: People can open accounts using false names ...
www.abc.net.au...

and heres the link for the bank thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15/5/10 by Smiggle]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
sorry - double post

[edit on 15/5/10 by Smiggle]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

I mean I guess I just don't know how this is different from any other website. For example some hacker can come in and steal banking information from XYZ Bank and then sell it online to other goons..

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Absolutely, I agree - but I guess the topic is sliding a bit sideways
my initial post was about how I see what other elements of FB and data colection related to privacy concerns could be considered, and I was making a comparison of sorts.

Smigs

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

Yeah, no doubt.

xoxo

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

OK..

Google "Echelon" and read up on that, a lot of people think they already do.

Your attitude of "so what." is exactly why this could become a huge problem in the future... especially as political landscapes change.

30_ said it best... it is social engineering. They can collect (and purchase outright) from FB what have traditionally been very intimate details about ones life... from all these intimidate details that they've NEVER had access to before, they can see social trends, and adjust accordingly whatever needs adjusted. Could be media output, could be cutting some slack on taxes because people are getting super frustrated... etc etc

Hypothetical example could be that they found out the "USA did 9/11" fan page now has 104,096 members when it only had 399 last week or something... so on History channel they ratchet up the 9/11 documentaries, cementing the "true tale" of that day in your mind and anyone else's in case they had these weird ideas.

I can't say that they are doing it or that they're not doing it with any certainty but social engineering isn't something I support... and the law allows this as long as you click "accept" to sign up for FB.

I don't even really support this society as it is anyway and anything that will help those people constructing it to rearrange it as they see fit is not my friend...

And I think it deserves a lot more than a "so-what" response but I also realize we operate from different perspectives so to each their own and have a great day.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaNutter

IMO you are thinking about this too much.

I used to work for an Omnicom company and you are being targeted 24/7. I directly dealt with experimental marketing. None of it I was personally dealing with was nefarious IMO.

Now, if you are joining the "Kill Da' Prez Club" on FB then you are asking for it.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
ok so they don't accutly delete if man people just be smarter then they are its realy not that hard.
go into your account change the name to billy buck rogers change the place you live to incognito clicken county nene country.
delite all photos delite all personial info 9unless your brod and wish to give them things to laugh about .
My likes snacks snails puppy dogs tails lolol
anyway once you have done this then make it inaccessible .
realy any time i need to find someone and i dont want any one to find me i take my laptop to a public hotspot make a new email address filling in random junk for name place and so on .
then goto were ever facebook myspace tagged open an account there leaving it blank to begin with that leads to a blank email that leads to a public server.
most youl get from me is the city im accutly in and if i want to hid that i can using a ip changer

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

reply to post by ImaNutter

IMO you are thinking about this too much.

I used to work for an Omnicom company and you are being targeted 24/7. I directly dealt with experimental marketing. None of it I was personally dealing with was nefarious IMO.

Now, if you are joining the "Kill Da' Prez Club" on FB then you are asking for it.

I have a tendency to over analyze things so that's possible but I'unnnooooo 'bout this one...

I'm fully aware how ads operate on the net and to me what makes them different is that I don't think that gives you the same kind of societal insight that Facebook would.

I worked in a fraud prevention department of some clothing company when I was going through school and even at this place the details we could find out about someone were mind boggling. Anyone that worked there could have stolen about 103943090498 identities with little to no effort (and strangely enough I never heard of anyone doing it so that is kind of cool)... but I think all this stuff falls into different categories of information.

People are in different markets for information.

For instance, I learned that groups will buy a LIST of peoples information to commit fraud with.. they don't get one or 2, they end up with thousands and thousands of peoples information somehow... how? Someone freakin' sold it that's how.

If you want to commit fraud, you buy SS numbers and mother's maiden name... if you want to engineer society, you watch Facebook.

And what we all have to understand is that we agree to this possibility when signing up for Facebook.

There isn't a debate of can they... they can. I think for me this is a debate of privacy issues really. And with facebook, you literally sign this away and hardly anyone knows about it.

On the chance they might just be doing that, since there is a disclaimer alerting you that they might, I certainly don't want to contribute to it.

The responsible thing to do is be honest and say "I don't know if they're doing this, but they have a legal disclaimer in place to fully protect them if they wanted to do it."

It's logic. We didn't pass "Patriot Act" so the government would be protected if they decided they might want to spy on its citizens one day.... they WERE spying on their citizens already and needed a way in which to get off the hook legally.

Banks don't include fine print because they just might maybe sometimes will raise your rate if you do this or that... they put the fine print there because THAT'S EXACTLY what they do.

Same legal practice... different company...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

reply to post by UmbraSumus

Other than marketing, related to the newest consumer discretionary items targeted for ages 16-24, IYO what else would you be personally led to believe is being "datamined"?

Hey there G.B.M !

My concerns would be geared more towards the future applications of data-mining and on a much larger scale . Facebook would represent a relatively small social element of a much larger data set.
At the risk of portraying a whacked out dystopian future - its the advances in supercomputing , and their ability to create more accurate simulations with large scale extrapolations and predictive powers that spooks me a bit.

In this electronic age , we already transmit many data points e.g credit cards/ mobile phones/ internet usage, among other things relaying our locations/ time of day.The amount of information we share on a daily basis whether consciously or unconsciously is on the rise. As individuals it probably has little worth but collectively ....... we are a substantial mouthful of plankton to fill the belly of the whale.
More recently corporations such as Walmart are using RFID technology to track product lifespans, from production-lines to disposal. Its creeping up on us incrementally .

Soon there we will be the capacity to crunch these astronomical numbers, numbers provided by regular people in the process of living their lives .

Of course this technology can be of great benefit to mankind also - climate or medical drug design/ modelling for example ........ but aren`t we always sold on the `potential` to do good . When in truth - all technology is a double edged sword .

[edit on 15-5-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Hey there back at you

Hopefully this new technology will be used for good and not bad. But, IMO, technology must advance and hopefully the byproduct will not be more intrusion and greater efficiency.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am sorry to burst your bubble OP, but all that indicates is that someone either using your computer or on google has recently searched for that topic. That is in no way an indicator of what a "top search" of google is. Just another over-sensationalized thread with little substance. Can people please research for 2 seconds before posting their thoughts?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

They can target advertisements like that solely based on your ip address. It isn't "tracking" you so to speak, but doing a quick trace back on your IP to figure out in what area it is assigned to. That is one of the reasons ads take longer to load than the webpages.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't care who can find me on the internet, I have nothing to hide and if I do I don't put it on the internet.

My name is Wayne Casten, I live in LaBelle, Fl and here is my facebook link...

www.facebook.com...

OMG, the sky is falling!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join