It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deleting Facebook a top Google search

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Facebook loses friends as privacy campaign grows

Type 'How do I ...' into the search engine and one of the first suggestions it comes up with continues: '... delete my Facebook account?'

It's a fitting congruity that the simplest way to gauge Facebook's current woes comes via that other unchallenged behemoth of the internet, Google. Type "How do I ..." into the search engine and one of the first suggestions it comes up with continues: "... delete my Facebook account?" Today it was the ninth top-ranked search term, bringing more than 18m results.

Since it was devised a mere half-dozen years ago by Mark Zuckerberg and three Harvard contemporaries, the social networking site has grown at an astonishing speed, seeing off once-powerful competitors such as Bebo and MySpace. It has also attracted controversies, notably over the issue of a "panic button" for child users.

But this week Facebook has experienced perhaps the closest thing to a crisis in its brief history, with reports of an emergency staff meeting at its California headquarters about privacy issues.

www.guardian.co.uk...

This is why I have never had, and never will have a Facebook account. Any site that wants you to post your picture and then intimate details about your life and friends just doesn't appeal to me. Nor does it even seem reasonable.

Americans are entitled to a reasonable expectations of privacy from government intrusion by the Constitution, as well as court cases and precedents. Maybe a lot of Americans and others as well these days do not either accept the same expectations or don't care. But with this coming up now on deleting accounts, maybe more people are deciding they don't like the intrusions into their life. Or are honestly just realizing it is happening.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
With all that being said though, when I started the "how do...." into Google, the first thing it shows me is How do you get pregnant.

Uh....I guess that explains my rant about people having Facebook pages above. Those who don't know how to get pregnant probably don't care too much about privacy.

Not saying they are related, but I can see how they could be....

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It blows my mind how many people willingly give into this stuff.

Myspace was bad enough, but at least it wasn't so bold in erasing any semblance of privacy.

My poor mother is even addicted to Facebook now. The last three times she told me she deleted it, she was so proud of herself.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It is just my opinion but ATS members are only blowing this facebook thing out of proportion.

Unfortunately, 99.99995% of us are not important enough for any alphabet agency to give a damn about. Get over it.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I think it's funny that people 'google' how to delete their account. Is it that difficult? Honestly I guess it is, I never deleted my account, all I could do on Facebook.com was "deactivate", but my FB friends can't see my account any more. I know FB still has my profile though because I can re-activate it any time with my password. If any one knows how to truly delete it I would appreciate the advice.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by naught
The last three times she told me she deleted it, she was so proud of herself.

Just like an addict.

Quitting then relapsing over and over.

How long before we see those "internet rehab" facilities that China has spring up here?

When will there be a patch or lozenge to help with the withdrawal?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BenIndaSun
If any one knows how to truly delete it I would appreciate the advice.

Well..after Googling it, I came up with this link here.

It is not all that simple. Or easy to find. They must not WANT people to delete their account. However, I did notice, that once you "delete" it, it only says all your account info and posts become inaccessible.

This does not mean necessarily that FaceBook no longer has your info. I'm sure they do keep it in fact. It's all about data mining these days. That's what started the big stir already, was making too much info publicly available for ad revenue.

But who here really believes that's all they were wanting it for....????

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
It is just my opinion but ATS members are only blowing this facebook thing out of proportion.

Unfortunately, 99.99995% of us are not important enough for any alphabet agency to give a damn about. Get over it.

99.99995% ........ represents 100`s of millions of users , individually they may not be of particular interest but collectively that is a valuable `insight` into the daily lives of Joe and Jane Public.
The alphabet agencies may only be interested in a few individuals , but there are others very interested in the data mining potential of so many peoples daily updated free info.

You play the markets GreenBicMan - you know the value of such data .... that is when you have enough of it over a decent span of time .

==============================================

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
All I can possibly say is...

THANK YOU ATS!!

My account has been deactivated for so long and I was actually pretty mad I couldn't delete it (er, that I didn't KNOW how to delete it).

Facebook is the ultimate social information gathering tool.

Forget the census, or tapping into your phone calls... there is no greater way to keep a pulse on us than by seeing what we're doing every 3 hours and that's what way too many people are doing with facebook!! Not to mention the time of your life that you have officially lost staring at a computer screen clicking "I Like" because your buddy got soooooooooooooooooo drunk last night!! Like omg he was puking and stuff lolz!!!

rot in hell facebook

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan
Yes most of us aren't important to these abc companies but once we post videos related to conspiracies we get flagged and at SHTF there's a precise list of primary and secondary new terrorist (friends of the new terrorists) there's gun registration, various registrations for different things and these lists allow the goverment\corporation\PTB to have exacting control on 'threat levels' to their power.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Still helps period. There is all sorts of things these people can do.

Plus how many times have you seen it damaging in getting or keeping jobs.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

None personally.

I am pretty sure that the greatest majority of users have contemplated this scenario if they are applying for a professional job. You aren't going to see an executive of any company, or one that applies with pictures of beer bongs etc.

If you are the type that has that you probably should have thought a bit harder before posting stuff like that on the internet IMO.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

1) Don't post videos like that

2) Use a different name than your real name.

3) Think before you do something stupid

Facebook is just the newest fad for teenagers to keep up the facade that what they do in their day-to-day lives actually has some sort of meaning. If you think it is more nefarious best thing to do would just to be not sign in anymore and max everything to the highest privacy settings so no one other than your other pitiful friends can see your profile information.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Other than marketing, related to the newest consumer discretionary items targeted for ages 16-24, IYO what else would you be personally led to believe is being "datamined"?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Open Facebook Alternatives Gain Momentum, $115K

Looks like this is building steam in the opensource community. Now if that money can actually get people to hear of the alternative.

When Wired.com called for an open alternative to Facebook last Friday, lamenting the company’s untrammeled desire to control your online identity and reconfigure the world’s privacy norms, reader response was overwhelming, with hundreds of comments and ironically, thousands of “Like” votes on Facebook.

Now, a group of four New York University students — who were working on just what we called for — have harnessed that dissatisfaction in the form of more than $115,000 in crowdsourced funding for their distributed, social networking system called Diaspora. That’s the equivalent of a significant angel round of funding in the internet startup world, and their fundraising on the Kickstarter crowdsourced funding site has another 19 days to go.

Read More www.wired.com...

wired.com

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
i wouldn't take this too seriously, we have no idea how exactly google picks those searches...

this comes to mind:

plus, i deleted my facebook account not so long ago and i don't remember it being too difficult...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What I find disturbing, and correct me if I am wrong, is the amount of money that is possible to make from selling and compling the collection of your data from FB - the data you signed away, the data that they hold that you have given them the right to use, sell, re-sell, wholly or partially .... it adds up to an enormous amount of money - if your data 'is' yours, and you wholly own it, wouldn't it be nice if they paid you for it? Market research companies used to pay a room full of individuals to collect their data - they'd pay for the persons time - they now have another source of acces to the data they need, and they only have to 'request' what they want and pay for it.

How much time have you put into your facebook page - how many hours have you spent compiling your thoughts and your life and placing it there for them to mine through ... so they can use it and chargethose who want it.

A couple of FB terms - if you go to the link you can read them all ...
www.facebook.com...
[my bold]

2.Sharing Your Content and Information

... 1.For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

5.We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

This sounds like the biggest research company in the world that offers you a platform to socially network, does not pay you for any of the information, your time, your efforts, your media gathering and research - uses all your work files to gather, compile and sell the information you have made as a data entry, sell it to whoever, and then when you complain, slaps you in the face(book) and says 'Get Back To Work!' ... and you do this for no wages, and they dont listen when you tell them that there's something wrong with the company ...

You'd think they at least learn something about themselves from the data they collect about themselves - that people are not happy. They are ignoring the very resource they sell others (data and information) - why would you then trust any information they collect if even they wont use their own and act upon it?

[edit on 15/5/10 by Smiggle]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Smiggle

To that I ask you..

Do you think your personal information is worth a damn?

Not you personally, because I'm sure everything you post to facebook has great IP value, but IYO what kind of research is presented on a normal users FB page that would garner a dime from someone with interest?

IMO it is not even a measurable percentage.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I dont have a FB page

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

It's not about individuals. It's about trends... statistics. Social engineering requires refined social models.

Your energy is being used against you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join