It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Admin requests more money for teachers...look that their salaries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Obama Administration Makes Emergency Funding Request for Teachers Story Link

...the Education Department is asking for off-the-books emergency funding
to...

Administration officials want to add the teacher funding to a $60 billion supplemental request sent to Congress to pay for ongoing military operations in Afghanistan as well as Haiti relief and money for the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

An Education Department spokesman acknowledged that the stimulus funds have already saved roughly 300,000 teachers' jobs once, but an additional $23 billion more is needed to preserve education jobs, along with $1 billion in funds to save early childhood education jobs and an additional $2 billion to support public safety.

Maybe they should think about pay cuts. Below are sample salaries for public teachers in Kentucky:

TEACHER - JEFFERSON COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS -$ 86,383
TEACHER - $83,589
TEACHER - $79,189
TEACHER - $75,635
PRINCIPAL - $139,768

KY Gov Worker Salaries
Just use this website and find salary of any government worker in KY, and I was told growing up that teachers don't make any money.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
LOL!!!!! pay cuts? in north dakota here that's the last thing they need! we are rated 50th in the nation for teachers' pay! oh my gawd!

starting salary- $24,872
average-37,764

ya i don't think they need a pay cut.... but that's my opinion

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I didn't realize the disparity of salaries in our two states. I never thought Kentucky would be a relatively high paying state.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Florida is quite bad. It starts at about $30K and after a lifetime I think you get $42K.....

They do not get paid enough. Period.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
those samples your provided are most certainly not representative of all of KY.

I know here in NC a while ago they released the salaries of every teacher and administrator in my district online. You could literally type in your teacher or principal or administrator's name into a website and it would show your their salary.

They range from low 30's to upper 70's and principals were b/w 70k and 120k depending on size and performance.

Teacher pay varies on tenure, their degree, and on other stuff that doesnt indicate teaching ability.

Some of my best teachers were paid far less than many of the higher paid ones, because they happened to have a masters or had been teaching for 20 years.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

ya there is a huge difference. and pay does differ by degree. my grandmother is a principal, and she makes a couple thousand more because than some of the other teachers in her area because she has a doctorate. mainly ability, education, etc, contribute to the salary.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

While that is pretty high for a teacher, its all based on how long a teacher has been there.

In the school district I grew up in the average starting wage was $26-32k a year, but I know teachers that have been there for 20 some years make well over $60k. School super made almost $140k.

It really should be an averaged wage.. new teachers shouldn't get paid garbage, and older teachers shouldn't be making 100% more than their new colleagues.

The entire education system in this country is FUBAR.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Personally I believe in a merit system for teacher salaries. I had some really great teachers that didn't make as much as the ones that had been there longer even though I learned more under them. You should be paid by how well you do the job. Provide initiative to teach the kids better. It also wouldn't hurt to get teacher unions out of this country so this kind of thing could be implemented. Just my .02, take it or leave it. /shrug

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Teachers should be compensated like everything else in a free market. By supply and demand. There are A LOT of bad teachers out there putting out bad and undereducated students. In fact the entire premise of public education in this country needs to be revamped, destroyed, and rebuilt. It's a mess. I'm not against public education per se. But it's a mess nowadays. Teachers need to be paid and held accountable according to the results they produce. They are a much needed sector of society..........just like police etc. But public education is a very administrative heavy industry. That's the biggest problem as usual. "Upper managment".

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

No.. that's a horrible idea. Then the bad teachers just give A's. Or like when Bush first started "No Child Left Behind" and those new test you had to pass to graduate came out.. omg, disaster. They made it so funding and such was based on the average grade of the school, my high school had a 63% fail rate (which is sad.. it was a pretty easy test, but I'd just come from private school soo.. maybe they didn't cover everything yet?) .. result was 3 months of "practice testing" and normal classes converted into "how to pass the test so we don't look bad".. and didn't stop until everyone passed. Only good that came out of that, was I got a lot of free days off from school since I'd passed.

Those kinds of systems fail horrifically.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I went to private school too, Catholic (believe me, I'm atheist now). Even though I didn't like the indoctrination and brain washing they did, I learned more about non-religion subjects more than my counterparts in my hometown that went to public schools. It became obvious to me when I went to public high school with them.

The government is begging for money to support their failing systems (ie. teachers and public education). I looked up public school teacher salaries in my state (Kentucky) and thought the salaries are high. Also, with the site, you can see the high paying jobs offered by the government (check out a federal contractor). I think it's crap that non-govt people are suffering so much but the govt workers are busy as ever with hefty incomes.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke
Florida is quite bad. It starts at about $30K and after a lifetime I think you get $42K.....

They do not get paid enough. Period.

I get a little under 22K and that suffices me. I don't know if the situation is similar in France and the USA, but here they should give schools more money rather than teachers.

new topics

top topics

join