It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's The Oil?Model Suggests May Be Gone...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So where were we? Oh yes, doom and gloom...

...But the spill is 23 days old since the Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20 and killed 11 workers, and the thickest stuff hasn't shown up on the coast.

...About 35 percent of a spill the size of the one in the Gulf, consisting of the same light Louisiana crude, released in weather conditions and water temperatures similar to those found in the Gulf now would simply evaporate, according to data that The Associated Press entered into the program.

The model also suggests that virtually all of the benzene - a highly toxic flammable organic chemical compound and one of the chief ingredients in oil - would be stripped off and quickly vaporize.

The model was not designed for deepwater spills like the one at the Macondo well in the Mississippi Canyon now threatening the Gulf Coast. But experts said the analysis might give a close approximation of what is most likely happening where the oil plume is hitting the surface nearly 50 miles south of Louisiana. apnews.myway.com...

I'm just sayin'....I'm, JUST SAYIN'...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Ive got to start by saying " luving ya posts
"
but do you seriously believe oil just " vaporizes " ?
Thats only possible if you have those fiery tornadoes I heard about in other posts

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Aussie_Rock

Well should I believe the scientist that stated in the eport or "aussie_rock" fellow ATS'er???

or just go with my gut and think "hhmm, most chemicals evaporate ratehr quickly, so does gasoline....they may be right"...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
So you think fossil fuels that take millions of years to form just evaporate when fixed with saltwater or oxygen?
When does carbon turn to hydrogen/oxygen?
When awhile since I studied chemistry but I dont remember that lesson.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Gulf Oil Spill

Is A HOAX

As I've said all along, it's a HOAX. None of the usual "disaster" teams (including FEMA) have been activated to head off a coastal catastrophe.

That's because there's no catastrophe.

Gulf Oil Spill An Extinction Level HOAX

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/15/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aussie_Rock

You had me at "fossil fuels", I don't believe the "oil is dead dinosaurs" theory.

and if/when someone has a link or some facts other than just speculation maybe I will reconsider my stand on what the article says.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

So there is NO oil? is it holograms? are they using the same tech they used in 9/11?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
So where does this oil come from?
If not from fossils, why cant we just make it in a lab instead of drilling thousands of metres in the ocean and why does it cost so much?
As for it being a hoax are the pictures I find all hoaxs too?
What is the purpose of this hoax?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

I understand your desire to search for support for a "best case" scenario, but this article is pretty weak and fundamentally offers little reasonable comfort.

...the oil from the Deepwater Horizon disaster is pretty hard to pin down...

...there seems to be no consensus on whether it will arrive in black waves, mostly dissipate into the massive Gulf or gradually settle to the ocean floor, where it could seep into the ecosystem for years...

When it comes to deepwater spills, even top experts rely on some guesswork.

...a program the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration uses to predict how oil spills on the surface of water may behave, suggests that more than a third of the oil may already be out of the water...

[but]

...The model was not designed for deepwater spills like [this one]...

...Even with computer models and history as guides, uncertainty reigns...

...NOAA's Office of Response and Restoration, said the agency was uncertain how much oil would sink to the bottom. For now, most of it is near the surface...

...most of the oil is within a foot of the surface...

"Ultimately, you could have a lot of oil on the shoreline. It won't be a black tide coming in, it will be globs coming ashore," he said.

"It's going to be a long, slow summer."

...a risk that the effort to break up the oil with dispersants would simply sweep it to the ocean bottom and contaminate the food chain...

A common refrain among experts and officials is that every oil spill is unique.

...if you dig down in some sandy beaches you can find a layer of Ixtoc oil."

Not to mention nearly ALL of the cited volume and flow rate numbers are wrong in this article.

See: Crisis By the Numbers: A Comparison of Ixtoc I, Deepwater and the Biggest Spill of All.

Finally, if the conclusion is accurate that 35% of spill would simply evaporate, then it would reduce the effective daily flow rate from 70,000 barrels a day to 45,500 barrels a day-- still much larger than Ixtoc I, which maxed out at 30,000 barrels per day.

You find comfort in that?

[edit on 15-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I've read the article you didn't have to include it. thats kind of annoying.
anyways, where is the oil? why hasn't it destroyed the shoreline? where are all the dead birdies we were promised?

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering

So there is NO oil? is it holograms? are they using the same tech they used in 9/11?

If you read my related post, you'd see that offshore drilling has always leaked crude oil into the Gulf (and elsewhere), every minute of every day for DECADES. Each oil rig leaks hundreds of thousands of gallons of the stuff daily, and there are hundreds of oil and gas rigs in the Gulf. It's been going on for as long as I've been alive, and I'm 50 years old.

The ocean breaks down the crude oil naturally, which is what your own OP suggests, as well.

Thus far, the catastrophe hasn't made itself manifest along the Gulf Coast. And it won't.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Glad to see I'm not the only sane one around here.
Star for you sir.

link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Originally posted by Just Wondering
I've read the article you didn't have to include it. thats kind of annoying.

Yes, I'm acutely aware of your significant aversion to the presentation of factual material.

I've read many of your posts.

Honestly, I don't want to be mean or anything, but many of your ramblings are the equivalent of index fingers firmly inserted in your ears and the sound of "LA...LA....LA...LA..." issuing forth from your mouth.

In my view, it is perfectly acceptable to question the facts, but your posts seem intent on doing something entirely different.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by loam]

link   
Well you need to ask yourself this.

Does all of the contents of the crude float upward under all of the water pressure 5000 feet down or only part?

What other hydrocarbon by products are seeping?

What type of currents exist 5000 feet to 0 feet and where do the currents go?

What floated to the top and what part of the crude is drifting with the very powerful underwater currents?

Unknown unknowns staring you in the eye!

Also the blow out creates a vacuum way down where they tapped into the edge of this deposit. What is going to fill the vacuum and how will that effect earth?

[edit on 15-5-2010 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
if oil evaporates how come i see it in parking spots all over the place?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Crude oil is organic, and it leaks into the oceans all the time anyway, even without Mankind drilling holes through the Earth's crust.

It's when Mankind distills and refines crude into synthetic compounds that it becomes highly toxic. Now, if we had a giant spill of refined motor oil or kerosene or gasoline or diesel, you'd have a real catastrophe.

But a crude oil spill isn't going to destroy the marine ecosystem.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

The article has most of those answers for you. You should read it.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spazzy
if oil evaporates how come i see it in parking spots all over the place?
that is the cutest thing I've heard all morning. Thank you for making me chuckle.

Doc Velocity explained it in his post about refined oil products.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Give it time and we will see just how bad we humans have fd up this time. to say its a hoax is beyond ignorant the oil will show shortly and if there is a storm NOL better have their umbrellas out in force gonna be a real mess

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aussie_Rock
What is the purpose of this hoax?

To impose new taxes and eco-friendly upgrade mandates on the oil industry, which will, naturally, be passed on to consumers in the form of higher petroleum prices, thus fueling more public outrage, thus lending steam to the Green Agenda, thus driving governmental policy reforms, thus driving the Globalist Agenda.

It's quite simple when you pay attention to world events, actually.

— Doc Velocity

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join