It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lars Vilks home, arson attempt!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Lars Vilks home, arson attempt!

www .winnipegfreepress.com

STOCKHOLM - Police say the home of a Swedish artist whose drawing of the Prophet Muhammad offended Muslims has been subjected to a suspected arson attack.
Lars Vilks, from Nyhamnslage in southern Sweden, was not at home during the attack and no injuries have been reported.
According to police reports, attackers smashed windows and left plastic bottles filled with gasoline behind them. A small fire broke out, but is thought to have fizzled out by itself. There were no suspects.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aftonbladet.se

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Just a couple of days after the attacks at the university happened bottles filled with gasoline are thrown into the house of the controversial artist.

Looks like they won't give up, I guess we can expect this to go on.
Seems a little bit sloppy done though, why use plastic bottles, real molotov cocktails could've done some serious damage.

What's next? I wonder how this will progress in the coming months, I could see the racial tension brewing because of this.

Discuss

www .winnipegfreepress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-5-2010 by TheLaughingGod]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

This has been going on for years. Ever since the cartoon came out. Hats off with respect to the artist and the news paper who published. I hope they will never give in to those who are doing this. I also hope the authorities will work to find those responsible.
Also this is yet another example of why no one should ever let religious doctrine govern a society.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
These brain washed loony toons who go out of the way to harass individuals who disagree with islam are the sole reason why Islam is getting a bad name. And also those Jihadi's that are committing atrocious acts in the name of Islam.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Prionace
I agree with you on both of your points.
But now to take it one step further, what do you think should be done about it? Or to change the attitudes and views.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

It comes down to the community involved to take this matter into their hands. Of course if the said members of this community are caught in the act, they should be punished to the full extent of their intended crime.

The community has to teach tolerance in light of several disagreements that can occur when assimilating into the western culture. The community elders need to speak out to the young and talk to them about the persecution they had escaped from their country of origin to enjoy the freedoms of the free western societies.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Prionace
Ok, reasonable well spoken. I think the ideas you put forth are about as good as any. I would just like to add that the community leaders speaking out against violence, and for tolerance, can also just as easily be pushing people into committing these acts of violence. That being said I also think it is very important for those responsible to be caught and incarcerated.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I personally don't know how to deal with it, except cut back on our insane immigration laws for a while, cater to the immigrants we already have and assimilate them. Because right now they're just sending them to project housings and it just fuels the segregation. Rosengård is the worst example of this where they've attacked the police and even firemen at times.
They're basically creating ghettos, 62% are unemployed and 80% are on some kind of government cheese.

Our immigration laws are unsustainable at the current rate, the system doesn't even make use of all the immigrants with degrees in other countries.
I also feel that there should be some kind of requirements like they have in Denmark now, taking language courses for example.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It's amazing how religious extremism has complete control over our society.

I still cannot believe that somebody would be targeted, assaulted or have a murder plot revolve around them just for being a cartoonist.

It's truly sad that we've come to a point where we are actually afraid to express ourselves and cater to the delusional thoughts of these extremists.

A sad, sad day in journalism and comedy.

~Keeper

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

This has been going on for years. Ever since the cartoon came out. Hats off with respect to the artist and the news paper who published. I hope they will never give in to those who are doing this. I also hope the authorities will work to find those responsible.
Also this is yet another example of why no one should ever let religious doctrine govern a society.

Well said.
I hope the paper has the courage to print the 'offensive' cartoons again to prove they are not afraid of these criminals

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
it is okay for people to insult the muslim prophet but a 14yo autistic boy gets charged for a few sketches.

ooo freedom of expression my a**!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Looks like old Lars did not realize the gravity of the situation.

Islam has reached critical mass.

The reproduction rate of Caucasians in Europe, unfortunately, is below the 1.11 ratio while the reproduction rate of Islam is somewhere around 3.

I applaud and support Lars but if you are a minority you may find it hard to speak against what the majority view as "untouchable" points of view.

Remember John Lennon's comment back in 1964 or so concerning Jesus?

Hmmmm.

Look what happened to him.

Criticizing Islam is a dangerous thing to do during war.

I cannot speak for the Swedes though...they may already realize this.

Most people in North America of course do not believe that we are at war.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i was going to say i wonder what will happen on the 20th of may but i looks like facebook have taken the page down www.facebook.com... i for one hope thay find another outlet. i see this as free speech standing against threats
heres a guy still doing it reason.com...

edit to add - oh no its up again bad severs at facebook? anyway i wonder what responce this will bring form the violent nutters.

[edit on 15/5/10 by Aceofclubs]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
It's truly sad that we've come to a point where we are actually afraid to express ourselves and cater to the delusional thoughts of these extremists.

A sad, sad day in journalism and comedy.

It was a sad day when a newspaper asked for what they knew (unless they were all incredibly ignorant) would create a situation like this.

On topic, what kind of arson attempt was that that "fizzled out by itself"? It looks more like somebody wants to keep this private war going on.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
It was a sad day when a newspaper asked for what they knew (unless they were all incredibly ignorant) would create a situation like this.

Its a sad day when art has to be censored out of fear of death.
Which was the authors point.

There have been drawings of Mohammad all thru history, many from Iran, others show him not in a good light. It is only in recent history the fear of death from sketches of him have risen.

The recent cartoons were out for months with no problem. In fact, some of them were published in Arabic news without any problem.

The reason the drawings became a problem is because a couple of Imams went to Iran and LIED to create a situation. The Imams added images that were never part of the drawings. Iran then got others to stage protests using the added images.

This is documented in Hellmutts thread Denmark On Muhammeds Naughty List which started in 2005, and is ongoing.

Depictions of Mohammed Throughout History

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17d2477c0b64.jpg[/atsimg]In the nation of Sweden there is a contemporary urban folk custom of placing in the center of "roundabouts" (the circular traffic islands in the middle of major intersections) whimsical homemade sculptures representing pet dogs. The sculptures, which are fairly commonplace in Sweden, are called "roundabout dogs" (rondellhund in Swedish). In the summer of 2007, Swedish artist Lars Vilks made some paintings of Mohammed as a roundabout dog; after they were rejected by two art galleries wary of controversy, a sketch based on one of the paintings ended up being published in a small local Swedish newspaper, Nerikes Allehanda, and on his blog.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d7373b3d1ee.jpg[/atsimg]
The 1911 Italian silent film L'Inferno contained a dramatization of the scene; Mohammed is here on the right with his entrails hanging out.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3895b0b207de.jpg[/atsimg]
This medieval drawing of Mohammed (on the right) showing his entrails to Dante and Virgil (on the left) is from one of the earliest surviving illustrated manuscripts of the Inferno, dating from the third quarter of the fourteenth century (1350-1375)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8e89d909080.jpg [/atsimg]
This picture is of an early Renaissance fresco in Bologna's Church of San Petronio, created by Giovanni da Modena and depicting Mohammed being tortured in Hell. In 2002, Islamic extremists plotted to blow up the church in order to destroy the image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/82167799b47f.jpg[/atsimg]
MSNBC political cartoonist Daryl Cagle emphasized the point with this response to the story, which includes a stick-figure Mohammed.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Its a sad day when art has to be censored out of fear of death.
Which was the authors point.

It's a sad day when anything is censored.

The reason the drawings became a problem is because a couple of Imams went to Iran and LIED to create a situation. The Imams added images that were never part of the drawings. Iran then got others to stage protests using the added images.

And that was probably what the newspaper was expecting.

Don't you think that in these times they would know what to expect when they promoted something like it? No publicity is bad publicity, specially if it involves someone else's religion and the natural mistrust of immigrants, even if the lives of some people are put in risk.

That's why I also find this attack to Vilks' home a little suspicious, it sounds more like someone trying to revive this case.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I don't believe it.... they're in the news yet again over this... when will they let this lie?

It's quite pathetic really living in this World yet having to put up with this nonsensical behaviour from Adults and children alike... there must be moderate Muslims who are shaking their heads in dis-belief at the absurdity of it all... havn't they got anything else to wage war about?

There have been many cartoons over the years, not to mention TV programmes where people (famous people or non-famous) have had the peeee taken out of them.... you don't see those people or fans of those people hounding the streets looking for the Cartoonist, Producer or Director....

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Thanks for all the comments.

I didn't know there was depictions of Mohammed hundreds of years old just a few days ago. I understand how the cartoons are insulting, but the South Park episodes really didn't show him in a bad way at all.

Anyway, I just had a thought.. I thought about Sufism, and how I've basically seen it as the only sane version of Islam(I'm biased to the esoteric interpretations of religions) since I found out about it.
Then I thought, why aren't they all sufis.. there couldn't possibly exist any sufi terrorists so I googled it and found this article:

www.time.com...

Yet amid the hurly-burly of 19th century empires, Sufism lost ground. The fall of Islam's traditional powers — imperial dynasties such as the Mughals and the Ottomans — created a hunger for a more muscular religious identity than that found in the intoxicating whirl of a dervish or the quiet wisdom of a sage. Nationalism and fundamentalism subdued Sufism's eclectic spirit. In the West, Sufism now usually provokes paeans to an alternative, ascetic life, backed up perhaps by a few verses from Rumi, a medieval Sufi poet much cherished by New Age spiritualists. But there was nothing fringe or alternative about it. "In many places, Sufism was the way whole populations expressed their Muslim identity," says Faisal Devji, an expert on political Islam at Oxford University. "In South Asia, it was the norm."

I just read yesterday here on ATS, someone mentioned how the dismantling of the Ottoman empire messed things up for Islam, I understand why better now.

But can Sufism really bend terrorist swords into plowshares? The question is most urgent in South Asia, home to more than a third of the world's Muslims and the cradle of Sufi Islam. Shrines of Sufi saints are ubiquitous in India and Pakistan and still attract thousands of devotees. Yet the Taliban in Pakistan have set about destroying such sites, which are anathema to their literalist interpretation of the Koran. "Despite our ancient religious tradition," says Ayeda Naqvi, a writer and Sufi scholar from Lahore, "we are being bullied and intimidated by a new form of religion that is barely one generation old."

God damned fundamentalists.. taliban destroying sufi worship places in Pakistan and India.......... tiring.

Just wanted to share these thoughts.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by TheLaughingGod]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Religious extremists really rub me the wrong way. I understand some people need "god" or something to believe in. I promote believing in something that can give people hope and compassion towards one another, but this is just rediculous. Maybe I'm retarded, but my common sense is wondering how someone can get sooooooo offended just because their "prophet" is depicted as a cartoon. I mean seriously, what kind of 4 year old mentality is that?

As far as this arson attempt on this hero of sorts, I think the childish extremist punks should be beaten and shot. If they want to act like little terrorists then they should be treated like them. I'm really starting to get irritated with these people who want to whine and cry over a dang picture. If there happens to be any of these people in the crowd then this part is for you:

Grow up, stop whining about a picture (everyones religion gets bashed by someone at some point) it's not something worth killing someone over, learn to laugh it off and allow others to express their opinions and ideas freely. The world is running out of place for religious extremists that do not return anything to society but a damned headache.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xilvius
Maybe I'm retarded, but my common sense is wondering how someone can get sooooooo offended just because their "prophet" is depicted as a cartoon. I mean seriously, what kind of 4 year old mentality is that?

According to their religion, any depiction of their prophet is forbidden, and if people kill because of soccer, what's so surprising about killing in the name of religion?

It's just an excuse for their violent behaviour, just that.

As far as this arson attempt on this hero of sorts, I think the childish extremist punks should be beaten and shot.

What extremists? Has this case been made more clear and we really know who were the responsibles?

As things are now, if someone that doesn't like Lars Vilks throws a stone in his direction it will be considered an extremist's attack, they are now the perfect escape goats.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join