It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado in Serbia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Brief Tornado Hits North East Serbia

I just found out about this, haven`t seen it posted before.

Two houses were damaged by a tornado 200 meters high and 100 wide that appeared near Sombor on Friday. Meteorologist at the State Hydro-meteorological Bureau Nedeljko Todorović said that it was a so-called European tornado, which is not as strong as an American one. The appearance of such tornadoes is unpredictable and there can be no estimates as to when or where one would appear again, he said. The tornado, which was headed towards the village of Lugovo, passed through the Gradina community near Sombor. There is no exact information on when the last time was that a tornado appeared in Serbia, because the only records of tornadoes come from people who have seen them or the trails they have left.

Sources and video:

www.balkaninsight.com...

www.b92.net...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I find this interesting, although I'm the first to admit I'm not sure of the significance. Also, I didn't know that "American" tornadoes were stronger than "European" ones.

At least I learned something. I do find it interesting that there is no tornado records kept, I am inferring simply because they are so far and few between.

I wonder why they are so unpredictable? Aren't there weather patterns that make tornadoes more or less likely? I imagine the conditions would have to be right to have one at all. But I am far from a tornado expert.

Pretty cool find.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Hope this helps.

Do not know what they are saying but that is cool

I did a thread yesterday on a tornado forming in front of a car.

Should have a look.www.abovetopsecret.com...

Keith

[edit on 15-5-2010 by justKEITH]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Also, I didn't know that "American" tornadoes were stronger than "European" ones.

The American tornadoes are also more common, and the reason, as strange as it may look at first, is geography.

Tornadoes being a low atmosphere phenomena are much affected by the conditions on the ground (or on the water), and those conditions are closer to perfection in central US.

Some two or three weeks ago with had some little tornadoes and waterspouts here in Portugal.

PS: I am not a meteorologist, so my explanation may have several flaws.

new topics

top topics

join