It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning pictures of planet Earth at night: (very cool)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

You are correct, see below, but the difference is not enough to show up in a satellite photo.

Earth is not perfectly round, as Isaac Newton firstly proposed. Newton believed Earth was an oblate spheroid: squashed at its poles and swollen at the equator.

This proved to be true: the distance from Earth's nucleus to sea level is about 21 km (13 mi) larger at the equator than at the poles.

news.softpedia.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
These are great pictures.
Thanks for sharing them

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
Beautifull pictures but.........why isthe earth perfectly round....again?

Not only that, but every photo has the same stars in them....so if you ask me, these aren't real photo's.

Probably just been created by someone.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik

Originally posted by broahes
Hey US and Europe..

Turn the damn lights off when you go to bed!

Don't forget Japan there... it's lit up light a lightbulb!

It's crazy how Australia is so dark~

its because most of australia is uninhabited. people usually stick to the coasts

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Anyone else notice how the Nile looks white? Lots of light in Egypt.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
i too think it's an awful waste of energy, there are more efficient ways to light our streets and parking lots without the majority of this light pollution. to be honest i don't think the pictures are beautiful at all, i think they're very telling in how long we have to go before we start using energy wisely. waste is not beautiful.

but that's just my opinion.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
All I can say is...The Borg. Are those from GE layer?

Peace

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
You know what would be cool. Is pictures of the earth at night from before we had electricity. Those would be very interesting.

Peace

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

What's trippy also. Look how many more people live in colder areas then hotter. Way more in the cold then in the heat. Wow...makes you think.

Peace

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
Hey US and Europe..

Turn the damn lights off when you go to bed!

good point: Think most of those lights are from streetlights: Are they all necessary? Cars have headlamps for a reason! how much carbon emissions are all those lights burning each night!?

looks the business though

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Exactly what I was thinking haha! God it's like we are begging for it lit up like a freaking welcome sign! "rooms available, at your own risk of being cut up and put in formaldehyde!"

Also, someone made a remark about how much room we have to expand and how much space isn't lit up...I personally don't think more areas need to be massively inhabitable and industrialized in order for us to actually "expand" in my opinion that's more on the path of more destruction if it's done the same as it has been in the past..just a thought.

Thanks for sharing OP, it's a simply beautiful sight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join