It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am going to a Christian church on sunday...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This is awesome o do not knock anyonesbelief the constitution offers you that freedom. I myself having turned away to the occult and then turning back to God in 2003 I have learned this God may not speak directly to you neither may Jesus. The problem with most is they can't get past that question why did God speak to Moses or Adam & Eve but not me or us.Why did Jesus speak to his people but not us. Most forget that after Jesus the holy spirit was let loose most don't get that God & Jesus can and do interact work people but often its the holy spirit ex. You backslider and fall from your faith. The holy spirit might them work through a friend who puts a bug on your ear about something bigger it may work through someone on ATS to type something that makes wonder it works like that anything to grab your attention to make you wonder then when you look more and more you soul / spirit takes over and pulls you in. Then it is up to you your free will gives you the chance to decide.

You see no matter which path you take the greater good follows you no matter what religion you choose the divine is always there

Welcome to the holy spirit no matter what end up believing you are s brother now just through curiosity

Later

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I used to go to a Baptist church. Their motto basically said they care about people in the city in which the church is located. Here's thing the thing. As I was helping another guy with parking lot guard duty, I spotted a person laying on the grass sleeping. Someone at the church called the cops, and a plain clothes officer with a gun showed up, woke up the person, and put her in his car to haul off to jail I guess. This didn't seem like a Christian thing to do. The Christian thing to do would be to bring this person in and take care of her, invite her to join the church, etc. On top of that, I received an address book with addresses of all the members. I noticed that the entire church staff lived in another city. A city with better schools and a lower crime rate. They cared so much for the city that they went home to another city each and every day. I stopped going to church altogether. I believe everyone who works at a church should be a volunteer, not paid employees driving BMW's and living in mansions in another city. Being a pastor shouldn't be a career. Reading a few Bible versus each Sunday shouldn't be a career. These people shouldn't be making $100,000/year doing it, either. I'm still a Christian. I still pray. I enjoy reading about other religions, especially really old ones.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

You don't have to attend church to be a Christian. There are many false shepherds out there and many of them have theological degrees on their walls.

If you haven't already, pick up a Bible (My preferred version is the Holman Christian Standard Bible) and start reading. Pray to your Creator Yahweh for guidance, knowledge, understanding and wisdom. Seek TRUTH from above and not man-made religious ideals.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

If a religion inspires you to practice compassion and sincere community, then it's a good thing. If it causes you to compete with others for enlightenment or righteousness or progressed spirituality, then it's poison. That's your guide. If you feel inadequate, instead of included, or if you feel selective, instead of inclusive, then walk away. Love is symbiotic union, and agape love is that symbiotic union opened to all that exists. If a religion or philosophy battles against that - or causes you, yourself, to instinctively battle against that - in an effort to accomplish anything whatsoever, then it's poisonous for the human psyche.

You can get that sort of "us versus them" thing from a flag football league.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I don't want to be a jackass but a synagogue is a Jewish thing.
With Islam it's called a Mosk.

Good luck.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If it was a catholic church, my advice is to take advil and plan on a lot of kneeling and standing and some grape juice.
But a Christian church, have fun! I don't have anything to offer.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
i would highly recommend you go to a Baptist church with black people, really im not joking it will be quit an experience (no diss)

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by togetherwestand
funny i actually got the opposite experience..
oh i dread the catholic churches, alot of the ones i went to just do the same thing every sunday like brainwashed sheep, you can tell that the religion doesn't really stir up thinking and activity just by the same repetitive recitals every Sunday. omg.

Which is why all the catholic churches I've been to were empty. Though they were older and more abandoned ones so people didn't really go there anyway. I've never been to an actual church service nor do I plan to.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
I approach religion from a more theosophical view, I believe all religions have at least a small amount of divine elements within them, If you learn about all the religions you are better equiped to distill the divine from all the dogma and doctrine, many times you'll find the important parts to a religion such as "love one another" are virtually the same for all religions. You'll also realize that the suppression or editing of key concepts from the religion by negatives/PTB is not the same censoring for all religions, so what is gone from some will still be left in others and vice versa so by reading all the texts you manage to coalate the missing pieces and then have many many odd shaped pieces you can more easily identify as having been introduced by man, so a few could gain control over the many.

I had to quote you, polarwarrior, instead of just a reply, but you said it good. I too fell away from the Christian Church, as I was raised in, and went for many years with no religion at all.
After I got hurt, and believe me, if you get really hurt like I was, you kinda wish you had some super power to pray to for some relief. I began to research the religions, first the "book" religions, then the "mystical" religions, then the "spiritual" religions. I discovered many things during these studies, which include the Kabbala, the Key, and the Lessor Key, and the Sword of Moses, not to mention the Esoteric System Of Dimensions writings and Theosophy. I learned a great many things in these studies, mostly I learned that the book religions are like chains on a Free Spirit such as I am. Second, I discovered that only one book mentions Jesus, and he is not recorded in Roman, or Egyptian records, even the evidence for a 1st century town of Nazareth does not exist....It is an imaginary city for an imaginary godman. Any religion that worships a "Son" is actually worshiping the "Sun" as in ancient Egyptian Sun worship, they even end their prayers with Amen. which gives homage to Amon Re, the Egyptian Sun God.

I discovered that the true, most powerful God/Goddess is within me, and within everyone. Christians call this the "Holy Spirit," and attempt to convince you that you have to give your soul to Jesus to get it. That is a load of crap. You already have the Holy Spirit, we all do. All of the human race together, in Spirit form, is GOD. His/Her name is, ready? Mon. As in Amon, as in Amon Re.

The closest religion that I could ever find was Wicca, and it is not a religion in the normal sense of the word, it is more like a way of life. Religion is like a good leather jacket. It should fit you perfectly. It will not fit anyone else. Any religion that fits this description is not good, and you will not be good for following it.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I only have time to address one of your very misguided statements. (Sorry to be so blunt, but these are serious issues.)

even the evidence for a 1st century town of Nazareth does not exist...

Wrong. (But even if it had not been discovered, absence of evidence would not be evidence of absence.)

Jesus - era house found in Nazareth for the first time

History shows that nay-sayers frequently come to eat their words when it comes to Biblical archeology.

As it happens, some of your other points are also addressed here:

New Testament documents - are they reliable?

Are you prepared to re-examine the evidence?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
Can i ask, how many people here have objectively opened themselves up to every religion?

Well for me, I don't need anything but Jesus because what He gives will never make you thirsty again. All of my dreams and desires are fulfilled in Him.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Ok, i have decided after much deliberation, to attend a christian church service on sunday..

Can we ask how it went?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Hey all, update here.

So i definitely chose the wrong church to go to. The experience i had was not the most positive. As someone else commented they talked about giving money the entire time. I was kind of put off by this. I expect to hear something out of the gospel, relating to Jesus in the least. Not 1 mention of this. Now i do believe in the christ, but i think of him more as a brother then a savior. Like we walk side by side kind of. So anyway i won't be going back. It could be that i just chose the wrong place.

I think i will stick to meditation groups ran privately.

Next stop, a mosk. I think i am going to check out a mosk and see what those guys are up to. Not that i am going to convert or anything, just for the experience.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Hey all, update here.

So i definitely chose the wrong church to go to. The experience i had was not the most positive. As someone else commented they talked about giving money the entire time. I was kind of put off by this.

I'm very saddened to hear that. Ah, well.
Never mind. if God wants you in the Christian Church, I expect he'll find another way of doing it.
Keep enjoying your experiences.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I am thinking there is something else he wants me to do. Mybe it doesn't involve the place i went to. Mybe i am being judgemental.

I try this whole idea from the Celestien Prophecy about looking at the beauty of everything rather then being judgemental, still a work in progress.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think it's great that you're actually checking out different churches and places of worship. Most people who regularly attend them wouldn't have the guts that you do to check out all the 'competition' so to speak.

I'm sorry your first experience wasn't good. Here's hoping you have a more positive one at the mosque and in your future visits.

Originally posted by onequestionCan i ask, how many people here have objectively opened themselves up to every religion? What experience(if you can narrow it down) has lead you away from said religion? How many people would be willing to objectively allow themselves into any religious setting, and try a new perspective within any religion or not even a perspective but to even understand these people more or make a connection with them? I am not saying, accept any religion, i am not saying do what i am doing, or become a christian, i am just saying, when was the last time you were able to step back and say, well you know what, lets go to a muslim synagogue and pray with the muslims?

I have been to several different kinds of church services, but nothing too far away from your basic Christian church. I think it would be a very interesting thing to do. I would be very willing to explore other religions if I were interested in having a religion at all.

Nothing has led me away from religion, it's just that it didn't make logical sense to me.

I think I can make a connection with people at Albertson's as easily as I could with someone in a church. I have worked with people from all over the world and from many different religions, including Islam, and while I find it interesting, it's not something I'd like to pursue.

I'll be interested to hear about your experience next week if you go.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, i will toss up a thread about my mosk eqxperience. i don't even know if there is one in this city to be honest. i have to search around.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I am thinking there is something else he wants me to do. Mybe it doesn't involve the place i went to. Mybe i am being judgemental.

Well, I'm being very careful not to attempt any arm-twisting. As a former atheist, I know perfectly well that arm-twisting doesn't work. You'd better go at your own pace- but be careful, because God can be sneaky. In my case, he used a girl. I think the most important thing is to be honest with yourself.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

He is sneaky huh? He is so sneaky he uses the damn devil to aid in his endeavors. I will thank you for your voice of support though.

I am not really looking for a belief so much as i am looking to understand mine more. Mybe in that i will find a new one.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

If you are truly honest in your quest for the true way to serve God, pray to him repeatedly, to find the path, I know of many Christians who did this before they became Christians, they were searching and praying for some time before they found the peace of God that excels all thought.
God will answer sincere prayers that ask for help to find the way. You just have to be watching for the answer to your prayer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join