It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am going to a Christian church on sunday...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Ok, i have decided after much deliberation, to attend a christian church service on sunday. Having said this i want to make a few things clear;

I am going to remain completely open minded. I consider Jesus my brother, i am not sure about this personal savior business. I do believe in an infinite creator. I believe we are infinitely connected as well.

I have not been to a christian church in a long time, but i have been to buddhist meditation temples. I have been to pagan study groups, i have pretty much done everything else as of late. I will continue to go to buddhist meditation centers/temples, i will not attend anymore pagan study groups. This is due to the fact that the people i met there were trying to lore me into some kind of ritual i didn't understand and the feeling i received was not of a positive nature.

Also, i want to remain open minded, and accepting. If i close my mind off to anything, then i feel i close my mind off to everything.

I share this with ATS as i have been chronicling a lot of my more recent revelations and experience with this community and openly discussing them for reflection and discussion.

Can i ask, how many people here have objectively opened themselves up to every religion? What experience(if you can narrow it down) has lead you away from said religion? How many people would be willing to objectively allow themselves into any religious setting, and try a new perspective within any religion or not even a perspective but to even understand these people more or make a connection with them? I am not saying, accept any religion, i am not saying do what i am doing, or become a christian, i am just saying, when was the last time you were able to step back and say, well you know what, lets go to a muslim synagogue and pray with the muslims?

Someone once told me the hardest part of enlightenment is acceptance.

Someone also once told me, the most successful people do what they are scared of the most everyday.

P.S. - Please feel free to ask any questions for clarity. Please do not attack me with negativity.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
i like your post, i think everyone should do this as there is definitely much to learn from every religion and belief. It seems if you clump them all together u will get the best perspective. Only religion i just really dont care about is Mormonism (no offense to any Mormons) they are completely brainwashed as many other religious people are

peace

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I've always found Catholic churches more peaceful(I'm not religious in any way/shape/ or form. I come from a family of catholics turned agnostic/atheist), but only under the condition they were virtually devoid of people. Lovely architecture, besides the multitudes of crucified Christs(I've seen some downright disturbing ones). I've done some studying of religious mythology and it is quite interesting. There is no right or wrong religion, which ever one brings you happiness and peace. For me, lack of religion provides it.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

i have decided after much deliberation, to attend a christian church service on sunday.

I would offer you the suggestion to pay close attention to what they say, what they do, and what their book says. In my experience, these three things frequently have little resemblance to one another.

how many people here have objectively opened themselves up to every religion?

"Every?" No. There are a lot of religions.

What experience(if you can narrow it down) has lead you away from said religion?

In the case of christianity it was the actual material. To me it seems there is a serious disconnect between what christians say and what their book says. My impression is that most of them don't understand it. Most christians appear to be heaily involved in the ritual of "being christian" but willfully reject a deeper understanding of their religion. And while on the surface much of christianity seems basically reaonable, the deeper roots basically don't make sense to me.

In the case of scientology, it was that I concluded that while scientology has some good material, it's shrouded in a lot of things that are totally unneccesary, and I felt I could do better. Basically...scientology is a religion. And it really shouldn't be. If you were to take only the actual substance from it, scientology could benefit a lot of people. But so could 15 minutes of light excercise every day. Would it make sense to start an entire religion around the idea of doing 15 minutes of excercise every day? Probably not. That's scientology.

In the case of mormonism, it was two things: first, the Book of Mormon is so badly written that I have a difficult time taking it seriously. Whoever wrote it clearly had no knowledge of the things he was talking about. Second, my experience with mormon missionaries has been that they do what they do because they've been trained that they're supposed to, and they seem to have very little belief or intent in actually doing what they claim they're doing. For example, the first time mormons came to my door, I invited them in to talk with me. Why? Because I didn't know much about them, and it seemed like a good opportunity to find out. Their reaction? Total shock. And one of them asked me why I invited them in. Because apparently, in all the years they had been going door to door...I was the first person to ever actually talk to them. And once they were inside...they didn't really have much to say. They seemed to be simply going through the motions so they could feel like they were being good missionaries. I invite dthem back to talk to me again, and they flaked out. Oh, they called to leave me a message so they could report to their superiors that they followed up...but I couldn't actually get them to come back and talk to me more.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I like this. I think that opening yourself up to different religions is actually a very good idea. If you are seeking spiritual knowledge, yet only open yourself up to one religion, what have you actually learned? I feel that religion can be a wonderful thing for people if they find one that encourages them to be the best person and neighbor they can be.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Not excatly sure which Christian church you're going to be attending but, I would highly suggest that you go to one that believes in

~the blood that Jesus shed was for our sins,

~Jesus is God's only Son and was sent to earth to redeem us back to the father (to have a relationship again)

~was born of a virgin

Those are the die hard absoulte points of true Christianity and there are more but i'm limited on time and those should suffice for now.

I do feel like I need to tell you this, don't be surprised if you should find what you are looking for. God knows you're going and is waiting.
It's time to come home.
)

Have your ever read the story of the Prodical Son? If not, it's one of my all time favorites.. here

The prodical son is.. you and I .. before we decided to come to our sences, (even though we're search the world over, just to find nothing satisfing).......

and here's God's heart toward you, -->"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him"

OneQuestion.....God has been runing after YOU for a long time, you just have to stop, turn around, and allow the Father to embrace you. It's not about what you've done in the past that matters to God.. just like it didn't matter to the son that he took ALL his inheritence and blew it on the world ....the Father STILL embraced his lost Son......why? Simple, just because he was his son.......!

How can anyone really argue with a love so great??

I'll be expecting a good report soon
)

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully

I've always found Catholic churches more peaceful(I'm not religious in any way/shape/ or form. I come from a family of catholics turned agnostic/atheist), but only under the condition they were virtually devoid of people. Lovely architecture, besides the multitudes of crucified Christs(I've seen some downright disturbing ones). I've done some studying of religious mythology and it is quite interesting. There is no right or wrong religion, which ever one brings you happiness and peace. For me, lack of religion provides it.

funny i actually got the opposite experience..
oh i dread the catholic churches, alot of the ones i went to just do the same thing every sunday like brainwashed sheep, you can tell that the religion doesn't really stir up thinking and activity just by the same repetitive recitals every Sunday. omg.

here is an example of what im talking about

vigilantcitizen.com...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
damn double post..

[edit on 15-5-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
One thing I've found when looking to other denominations in my life... is their book of rules - the (Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic insert name of favorite religion here) doctrine on which they have based their beliefs. Each one has their own set of rules. Don't believe me? Walk into any Christian pastors study and look at the books sitting in the cases. It's almost like a lawyers office.

Eventually I found that a simple belief in God (without the team spirit thing) is a more peaceful existence than pronoucing a faith and commitment to say xyz religion.

This is what works for me. Christianity in the long run, is a great way to go, but watch out for the fellow worshipers though, if you're really looking for truth, don't look at them! Look inwards to yourself; as fellow worshipers may not be looking for the same degree of peace and salvation you are, and may simply be attending 'because they were taught to', and do other ill conceived things on the side.

You get that part on cnn and fox. You really don't need to go to a church to be a Christian, a believer, or a proven follower, you just need to believe, and walk the talk for real - every day of your life. IE do something about it... live it, without carrying it on your sleeve. Being a decent human being to your fellow man by nature, will help you to be of 'Christian' character! And that's what's important imo, not the labels, or the organizations.

Peace!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I commend you for your exploration for spiritual discovery and satisfaction. I have studied various religions myself, but only had the opportunity to practice a few.

I have come to the conclusion that virtually all religions offer truths, just from different perspectives.

In the end, I consider myself a catholic, despite having some fundamental differences with the church and its dogma. However, its form of ceremony and ritual I think offer one of the best avenues for my personal spiritual enrichment and development. I still practice indian mantras, buddist meditations, native american ceremonies, and study the text of all religions.

I think if more people realized that no one religion is the end all of truth and practice, they would be more harmony and personal fulfillment.

Since you are embarking on a journey back through Christiandom, remember that there is a wide range of beliefs and practices.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

hahah im sorry i kno ur trying to be a good person but c'mon really? dont u guys just knock at doors?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

If it's ritual you want, find yourself a high church traditional language (rite 1) Episcopal/Anglican church, preferably one where lots of gay people go. We do it better than the catholics, and have better architecture and music. Basically the same liturgy, except our traditional language liturgy sounds better than the "Hi there God" language of Novus Ordo or our modern language (rite 2) liturgy. Just avoid the guitar masses, or as some of us call them, "Ukelele Eucharists".

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
From my perspective,unless you are just looking for "fellowship",I would stay away from churches altogether!

If you are seeking a relationship with Christ,there is no better place to begin than on your knees in prayer.

Hopefully,you have a good Bible you can open and begin reading,asking the Holy Spirit to guide you. Ask God to speak to your heart and open your eyes to His truth,and with just a little faith that He is able to do all things,He will meet you right where you are.

May God's grace be with you on your journey and light your path. Keep your eyes on Jesus. Don't think other people will be perfect in their examples,as few ever are.

I'd hate to have you walk away feeling worse than when you began.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Someone once told me the hardest part of enlightenment is acceptance.

Others would say the 'hardest part' is putting yourself under God's WILL and giving up your own.

Tough stuff that.

peace and good luck to you - I hope you find what you're looking for.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Personally I came to the conclusion after searching for the "right" religion for me, that i don't need to label myself. I have my own beliefs and i don't feel the need to be called by a certain religion or join a group. I hope this helps in some way.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I wish you much luck. Not all churches are bad, so I decided to give my wifes church a go. After opening with a half our of music the preacher went up to move the service down to the new building. Before doing this he preached for a few minutes on the importance of tithe and how badly the church needs it, even if it is your last cent (not exaggerating either). He told a story of a man who gave his last penny to a church in Canada and a few weeks later became rich. I couldn't help notice his BMW and 2 story house across the street either. Needless to say I walked out and waited on my wife. I haven't been to a church since and probably won't try another one any time soon.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by togetherwestand

i dread the catholic churches

Im with you on that one...
Nothing more than a religious sect claiming to believe God, while praying to dead humans..
Catholic church made to conform and control the Christian faith by the then government, the Roman empire.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

To me it seems there is a serious disconnect between what christians say and what their book says. My impression is that most of them don't understand it. Most christians appear to be heaily involved in the ritual of "being christian" but willfully reject a deeper understanding of their religion.

Tragically there is a lot of truth in what you say. The solution is not to judge others, but to become part of the solution by following Christ's teaching sincerely, even in the hidden recesses of your heart.

What experience(if you can narrow it down) has lead you away from said religion?

Having followed Christ over a few decades I have come face to face with one or two in positions of influence whose behaviour remind me of Christ's words: "The master of that servant will... cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth".
These experiences would have led me away from my faith if it had been based on what I saw in other people. But I believe that Jesus Christ was and is the Son of God, come what may.

Having read the prophetic writings concerning a unique, flawless, human being who would come from the Jewish race to reveal the very character of the invisible Maker, and join people from every nation in heart-felt love for Him, I believe what I believe on the basis of the how the prophecies were fulfilled 2,000 years ago. Hypocrites and charlatans can have their day. But when the secret thoughts and intentions of every person are finally revealed when we stand before our Maker, those who have genuinely been humbled by their own shortcomings and the purity of Christ will have all eternity to enjoy his forgiveness and cleansing, and to experience the full magnitude of what it means to be loved by your Maker, Creator of time, space and everything living.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I approach religion from a more theosophical view, I believe all religions have at least a small amount of divine elements within them, If you learn about all the religions you are better equiped to distill the divine from all the dogma and doctrine, many times you'll find the important parts to a religion such as "love one another" are virtually the same for all religions. You'll also realize that the suppression or editing of key concepts from the religion by negatives/PTB is not the same censoring for all religions, so what is gone from some will still be left in others and vice versa so by reading all the texts you manage to coalate the missing pieces and then have many many odd shaped pieces you can more easily identify as having been introduced by man, so a few could gain control over the many.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Try a greek or russian orthodox church. Lots of burning incense and really cool byzantinian chants in weird scales, really cool to listen, or try an african american church, where they all sing and dance during service.

Catholic and protestant churches are somehow boring (the service, not the messages about Jesus aand being a good person)
Also try a muslim mosque once, its cool to see them do their service and pray to Allah. Very respectfull and dignified atmosphere there. The chants there are also cool and give you an "oriental" feeling

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Dynamitrios]

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Dynamitrios]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join