It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your personal definition, Enlightenment...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I see enlightenment as a process, almost an attitude where we are so centered that we gain a glimpse into the timeless. It is an attitude in the sense that it requires a starting point without bias, an ultimate open-mindedness, if you will. When we are too focused on our own perspective we don't perceive using all our consciousness, regardless of what our consciousness is at any particular point in time.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This is a difficult one because as we grow our personal definition changes. However I read this definition very recently that seemed to fit , it may be different next week because things change, our perception changes, especially on what enlightenment is! I know you asked for personal definitions but I dont think I can put it into better words.

Enlightenment is the recognition that I AM an infinite being seeing and seen from, observing and observed from, a particular and localised point of view.

The above is copied from SynchroDestiny by Deepak Chopra, but Im not sure who originally wrote it.

So thats my personal favourite definition, its put into words what I cant, that all is one but the one can be observing and also be observed from what seem local points of individual awarness, but really all is one infinite being
Enlightenment is the realization that the Universe is part of One infinite being with localised points of awarness (us and all other aware beings within that Universe).

Thats my personal favourite today but I would not say its a definitive one as things change all the time. (I did try and put it into my own words, so I hope thats alright OP! )

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Mr Green]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diseria

However, we cannot ever claim to be enlightened. The same as anyone who outright claims to be a Zen master hasn't truly reached a mastered state of Zen.

We can only be enlightened.

This is really an important point. As soon as you "claim," you're not.

It's similar to looking at enlightenment as a time-based goal to be achieved at some point in the future--you're looking at it from the ego's perspective. It is the the thinking mind (ego), not consciousness, that utilizes linear time to construct its reality. But since time itself is an illusion, the goal of enlightenment becomes a part of that illusion. "Tomorrow never comes."

That is the self-deception of spiritual seekers who spend years going to this guru, studying that method, chanting this mantra, meditating in that style. Rigorous spiritual disciplines wind up becoming another ego-based activity, something for the conditioned mind to identify with: "this is me, the spiritual seeker."

The answer isn't out there somewhere. It's with you here, now. Just see.

[edit on 7/3/2010 by yuefo]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by orrite??

I really liked this description of what it's like to drop one's roles and assumptions, to suddenly see the deception perpetrated on yourself by yourself. Not knowing, now that IS knowing. Or rather I should say it is seeing. It is wisdom.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hitotsumami
So many interesting replies in this thread! I was quite enjoyable looking through some of them, and I agree with many of them!

In my own opinion, enlightenment is the act of investigating reality to determine what is most probably true and untrue and use this information to better propagate a good productive life!

I like the open, straightforward posts I've seen from you on various threads, and this is another. There isn't anything to argue with here. But I wonder whether the enlightenment you describe is intellectual rather than the esoteric variety this thread is concerned with.

Using information for a good productive life is highly practical. That's the realm of the ego. And it's important because we can't function in the world without letting the egoic mind take care of practicalities. The trick is to get out of the ego, observe it, while it takes care of business.

A good way to practice this is when doing simple activities like washing dishes or driving the car--being very present and aware of what you're doing, rather than letting your mind wander. Sometimes this isn't possible doing complicated tasks involving the intellect, but the idea is to gradually be in this watchful state more and more often. Esoteric enlightenment isn't intellectual, it's not information-based.

I hope you don't think I'm trivializing your comment or being presumptive. I'm just commenting on my impression of what you said.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
"Enlightenment" is a distraction, something to work for in a meaningless world
(to some), the here and now, the realization that We all are small parts of one very large whole and all play our own parts, seeing yourself in the universe around you, and the universe around you in yourself at the same time, and not worrying because no matter what happens, everything will still be "fine". I think anyways, I dunno # man. lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join