It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your personal definition, Enlightenment...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Ok, i have been exploring this for a while.

How do you define the word enlightenment through your own personal experience? I know this may be hard to do, but take a shot.

Here is a link to the definition of the term enlightenment found here -

Enlightenment Definition

I personally have not yet found this myself, i have yet to build a full understanding of this term. It is described on that website as transcending desire and suffering. I am just not sure about this. A large part of our experience as humans is experiencing desire, and suffering. Would we not be human if we did this?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
My enlightenment is simple:

It is believeable to me that I don't know everything; that we don't know everything. In comparison to the unknown we could know nothing. Are we a failed mutation? Afterall we cannot comprehend the beauty of life, only advanced so far as to destroy it.

In comparison to space and time we could very logically be created. From the beginning, wherever that could be, isn't it possible that conscience has learned to survive death, becoming the spirit and creator of evolution and it's cycle? I think that we are young in our understanding. Advanced? Hardly..

I see the beauty of what I am limited in my understanding to see. Imagine what we don't know about what we do know.

Knowledge of limited understanding is my enlightenment.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

There is no such thing as "enlightenment"...because from the perspective of yet an even more enlightened being, the first enlightened being might appear quite primitive and undeveloped.

There is no stage in ones development, where one can state "I am now enlightened"...some humans are simply more attune with the universe and the workings of reality than others.

Anyone can develop their 5th sense, so to speak, and develop a deeper connection with their higher self and sense of their true place in the grand scheme of things.

Everyone is enlightened to different degrees, some are just further ahead of the class than others.

[edit on 15/5/10 by CHA0S]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
to me enlightenment is unconditional love, no longer judging yourslef or others, but also having the cohonah's to fight against stop allowing all the crap to go on that violates anothers free will or harms anyone at all, without worrying about how you'll "look".

much more to it I am sure, but that is my nutshell for now...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
For me, enlightenment is not an ultimate conclusion or destination, but rather a continual evolution. That is to say, I feel that no matter how enlightened one may or may not be, in comparison to the totality of knowledge and comprehension, that degree of enlightenment could still be virtually nil.

Therefor for me enlightenment occurs to a slightly greater degree every time I learn something new, conceive of something I hadn't before, imagine something I hadn't before, become privy to a new and different perspective, or discover something new. And this is not a process that I believe will ever be completed or finished.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
i think enlightenment is knowledge, or reaching a point, new level.
that point of enlightenment could lead you on a path of new evolution

so i think watching a documentary can in fact enlighten you.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I agree with most all of you. Imo, enlightenment is to be sought after but never fully attained in this lifetime. I like to think of it like this: even the most enlightened, being Buddha himself, could not of stated or been aware that he was totally enlightened, as in a final destination, as he would of been too focused on becoming enlightened to perceive any true definition of such, and thus his energy would of kept growing or expanding until it was too great for his humanly body to with-hold, resulting in a unknown transcendental experience that cannot be defined by man as of now, or maybe ever.

I just try to constantly read, observe, meditate and work towards feeling pure compassion for everything that surrounds me, and do my best not to deviate from that path. Although, in this day and age, that is an awfully hard thing to accomplish I must say.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

How do you define the word enlightenment

The premise is that light is the "medium" of awareness.

Think of it metaphorically: if you're in a dark room, are you able to "see" the things in the room around you? Now if you shine a flashlight on an object in the room...you can see it now. You have become "enlightened" in the sense that you are now able to perceive the object.

Enlightenment is the becoming aware of something you were not previously able to perceive. Becoming "illuminated" is essentially the same idea, but with the additional connotation that the thing light is being cast on...the thing that you are becoming able to perceive...is yourself.

A large part of our experience as humans is experiencing desire,
and suffering. Would we not be human if we did this?

I personally would not wish to define humanity as being a condition requiring desire and suffering.

When you're happy, when you feel fulfilled...do you cease to be human?

[edit on 15-5-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

to me enlightenment is unconditional love

And how could you love something without full awareness of it?

"Love" without full awareness is not love: it is delusion. "Love" is not good feelings, or desire. Love is full awareness combined with acceptance.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I understand your point and i am not disagreeing with it.

Could i say that,

Enlightenment is full range of experience? I mean as far as understanding yourself. I think you get what i mean.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Happiness: a state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy.

But happiness is always temporary so it can not really be achieved.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hullabaloo

But happiness is always temporary so it can not really be achieved.

Last I checked, life is also temporary. Does that mean that life cannot be acheived?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
About roughly 3 weeks ago, i experienced what i believe to be enlightenment. To keep it brief i basically realised that because it is impossible to know anything with absolutely 100% certainty; that ultimately all my beliefs were worthless and in that moment abandoned every single belief i had ever had. It was the biggest realisation of my entire life, the next day while walking down the street i realised that i was not who i am. I was not long haired, introvert, johnny smith neither was anyone else who they thought they were. But in actually fact i was god (or consciousness whatever you want to call it) just pretending to be long haired, introvert, johnny smith.

I realised that i was the best actor ever. (Shakespeare summed it up perfectly with his quote "All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players") and that life was just a game, i felt like i was someone who had been hypnotised all his life and had just somehow snapped himself out of it and realised that i wasn't actually a chicken but actually a man; and that life was just a big game that we play, who cares if we lose the game? we can always play again if we choose to.

LOL sorry if this is a bit long winded but to me this is like...massive XD, but the point i am making is that i having experienced enlightenment would define it as the realisation of who we really are. Who we are underneath all the masks of our apparent identity, personality, occupation etc.

ok i am done now, make of it what you will because i am not particularly bothered either way XDD

[edit on 29-6-2010 by orrite??]

[edit on 29-6-2010 by orrite??]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
7-8 years ago ..... I glimpsed a state beyond this normal everyday crap we are used to.

That glimpse was sooooo life changing ...it was freedom, pure ecstasy, it was heaven on earth within me.

Since then my life revolves around this "enlightenment" ordeal, Union w/ God, becoming like Christ, spiritual perfection while still in a body. I have left everything for it ....a promising career as a record producer, a fiance which we were going to start a family, old friends with whom this new way of life meshed, and all old modes of being.

This "Enlightened state" ...while there are many awesome stops along the way (many of which you think are the pinnacle) ...eventually leads into a state where there is no 'I'. You no longer exist in that state ...instead it is a melting into the All.

With that comes an awareness of all things at once, seeing auras of people, animals, nature, knowing things before they happen, knowing peoples; ego complex better than they know themselves.

This is what it means to finally reach Christ-hood. The uncontrollable mechanism which always sins .....that is the ego and the ego isn't who you are. It is just a thought ......a thought form that has hijacked what really is going on behind the veil.

The ego is the veil, the sinner, the imposter!!!! Once the ego is finished ....along with that ...all your addictions, habits, weaknesses to sins, etc etc all of that is melted away and leaves instead a state of Divinity, Love, Awesomeness, and complete self mastery over every action and thought (though once the ego is dead ...it still may take a few years to a decade for the last remnants to melt away).

This is Union with God or enlightenment. Read any Religious book you care to, and you will find this is the common theme. You will also find that many have traveled this course and reached the pinnacle.

I find it takes a few glimpses first ...its like God giving you motivators to go forward with this .....

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Methinks enlightenment happens in moments... specifically when we live in the now.

We drop all the menial b.s. of life, and simply experience and appreciate.

However, we cannot ever claim to be enlightened. The same as anyone who outright claims to be a Zen master hasn't truly reached a mastered state of Zen.

We can only be enlightened.

Do we, as humans, need to suffer?
Some do.
In order to truly appreciate happiness, one has to experience sadness... and vice versa.

Is suffering & desire a requisite of being human?
...I'm inclined to think yes, with the clause that "suffering" can be a matter of perspective.
I suffer if I'm starving -- there's no question that that is suffering.
But if I suffer because my local Gap store doesn't have my jeans in...

Desire is, I think, a necessary cloud that we take on.
Again, we need the fog in order to appreciate seeing clearly.

We need to learn in order to unlearn.

I read Taoist texts...
...and am reminded of the wisdom in the words...
...the words that try to describe that which cannot be described...
...and remember that if I quiet my chattering monkey brain, I'd have known the answer without needing to read!

...but I'm human, I'm an academic, and so I keep reading... just so I can giggle at myself afterwards!

Onequestion

I very much appreciate your posts.

And I very much encourage you to continue your journey.

I Thank You.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So many interesting replies in this thread! I was quite enjoyable looking through some of them, and I agree with many of them!

In my own opinion, enlightenment is the act of investigating reality to determine what is most probably true and untrue and use this information to better propagate a good productive life!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I don't really have a personal definition, but I will say that for me, becoming enlightened means not making the same mistakes twice!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Being able to let go of all the things man has told you...and then looking out in to the world with new eyes.

The knowing that there is nothing to fear.

When you experience for yourself, you are more then just 'hu' man and that on a united scale....'hu' mans are a part of a whole....life in totality, is a part of a unit.

IMPO....enlightened ones are living for what benefits the 'whole' unit....what benefits the Universe, over the 'self'.

There have been many, and all reach this point of 'knowing'...when they are ready to look.

When you understand that there is no end to the questions and answers.

When you can see that both sides of duality/polarity....are very much needed.

When you can cherish all the bad things that you have done in your life just as much as the good because both have gave equal value to your path of learning about yourself and who you are and what you believe in, today.

Knowing a common thread runs through the entire quilt of life.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Enlightenment is the becoming aware of something you were not previously able to perceive.

I agree with this...and I think that it occurs in moments like another poster said. There is never a time that we still dont have something we can become 'enlightened' in or about, we all have room to keep learning.

I think enlightenment happens to the 'self' as individuals on a personal path...in many moments...and I also think it can happen to humans as a 'whole'. I dont think though, this has happened yet, as a species that is.

To know nothing without any certainty, but to be able to weigh and measure, possibilities.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

Hi mellisamouse! Hope you are well!

This is something I think about....the whole 'judging' thing.

How do we know though, what is worth fighting over...without 'judging' the situation or event or action?

To a degree...do we not have to judge, to weigh and measure? If we judged nothing...then we would have no opinion of anything would we?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join