It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger says California must slash spending

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
BBC is reporting this story above - doesn't seem to have made it onto the US networks just yet.

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said the state had no choice but to eliminate spending programmes that help more than one million poor people.

Just as governments in countries hit by recession have been cutting welfare spending, so California's governor has proposed the same for a state with the 8th largest economy in the world and a looming budget deficit of $19bn. "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the most populous state in the nation with the largest debt load responding to its own financial crisis. Expect to see mass protests in the streets, just like in Greece.

Once California starts austerity measures, expect other high debt states in the USA to follow suit, followed by the Federal Government.

I would expect to see protests in the streets just like Greece, spreading across the USA and then hitting major centers when Washington starts making drastic spending cuts across the board.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Will food stamps be cut? Seems like food stamps are a federal program administered by states and localities.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I dont know about cutting food stamps
but u can bet welfare is gonna get cut.
u think the LA Riots were bad???
just wait for this to take effect.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Saying that Cali must slash cost, is like saying Oprah has to stay away from

the donuts, it's a no-brainer.

But don't expect any riots like in greece. Not gonna happen.

Protests , and riots are born into the European culture from birth.

American's will bitch and complain, and do nothing.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Left the leftist state of Caulaafaurnia 1.7 years ago.

Do not be surprised if this does not even show up in the news.

Hell, we got people on this site still posting the propaganda. Just yesterday someone posted a graph on jobs. Oh what a joke. You know the Cass Sunstein folk are here when they are still posting propaganda pieces on a good economy.

That state is swamped with illegal immigrants. Absolutely swamped. 60% of births are to illegal immigrants. How bout that number.

You want another one. Illegal immigrants are costing the state over 10.5 Billion per year. Oh yeah no problem at all with illegal immigrants.

Here is where I got the numbers for the cost, now this is from a government supplied location. So you can assume the number is much higher then that.

Illegal Immigration Costs California Over Ten Billion Annually

Also, this number is from 2004.

Think about this, if the Corporations are making a killing on the illegals low wages, who is paying for it?

Looking back, in 2004, California's budget deficit was 7.5 Billion.

So, tell me, what could be a direct link to the budget deficit?

Besides the economy, the number one problem illegal immigrants.

Sorry to bring it up again.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

On the plus side, this MIGHT actually spark a real chance for legalization of cannabis. And if Cali does it, it will become a big issue in 2011.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Nice one, but people will starve to death way before you're legally allowed to get high and watch..

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

Left the leftist state of Caulaafaurnia 1.7 years ago.

Do not be surprised if this does not even show up in the news.

Hell, we got people on this site still posting the propaganda. Just yesterday someone posted a graph on jobs. Oh what a joke. You know the Cass Sunstein folk are here when they are still posting propaganda pieces on a good economy.

That state is swamped with illegal immigrants. Absolutely swamped. 60% of births are to illegal immigrants. How bout that number.

You want another one. Illegal immigrants are costing the state over 10.5 Billion per year. Oh yeah no problem at all with illegal immigrants.

Here is where I got the numbers for the cost, now this is from a government supplied location. So you can assume the number is much higher then that.

Illegal Immigration Costs California Over Ten Billion Annually

Also, this number is from 2004.

Think about this, if the Corporations are making a killing on the illegals low wages, who is paying for it?

Looking back, in 2004, California's budget deficit was 7.5 Billion.

So, tell me, what could be a direct link to the budget deficit?

Besides the economy, the number one problem illegal immigrants.

Sorry to bring it up again.

The women from South of the border are not coming here to
make money.
They are coming here to make babies.
They want to have large families and they cant afford
them in their home countries.
As long as we provide
them with free health care, welfare for their babies,food stamps
and all the other perks for their Anchor babies they will come.

Anyway there may be 40 million of them here already so
this is now The United States of Mexico.

Just for the LULZ.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

Saying that Cali must slash cost, is like saying Oprah has to stay away from

the donuts, it's a no-brainer.

But don't expect any riots like in greece. Not gonna happen.

Protests , and riots are born into the European culture from birth.

American's will bitch and complain, and do nothing.

I disagree. Look at the protests in Arizona against the illegal immigrant bill.

If people realize that their meagre government handouts are going to be reduced even further, I think you'll see hungry, poor people with lots of time on their hands taking to the streets.

Americans are lethargic by nature, so long as their bellies and ammo clips are full.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Americans are lethargic by nature, so long as their bellies and ammo clips are full.

You have to ask yourself though, who is going to come to the rescue of the US?

No one. Period. No one can. There is no money. Currency is a lie. The more they create of debt, the more money the bankster thieves take. Period.

The more money, even if it was given with no interest due, all this does is make the currency worth less. Inflation to be coming.

You can write that down and I guarantee it.

You cannot continue to spend more than you bring in and then give the banksters your money. Hell, I would not be surprised if you added up the debts of every country in the world, then you added up all the value of everything in the world, you would have 5 times as much debt as their is value.

Think about that for a moment.

This means that the value of the planet is owed at least 5 times over to those that hold the debt.

Anyone else going to wake up yet?

The system is done. Period. Something drastic has to happen.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I dont know about cutting food stamps
but u can bet welfare is gonna get cut.
u think the LA Riots were bad???
just wait for this to take effect.

I totally agree with you. It's not going to be pretty. I'm glad I don't live in a big city.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

I wouldn't underestimate Cali people. A lot of people out here on edge already. When they cut back, a lot of people buying drugs are no longer going to be able to buy drugs. Anyone who lives out here knows that there is a lot of drugs. Where there is a lot of drugs, there is a lot of drug dealers. With drug dealers is gangs. Seems like a very violent situation.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

On the plus side, this MIGHT actually spark a real chance for legalization of cannabis. And if Cali does it, it will become a big issue in 2011.
Cali already has legal "medicinal" emjay.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I find it funny that Ahhnold is afraid to go to Arizona for fear of being deported (what? he doesn't have his proof of residency / citizenship?)
Yet the only way Cali can accomplish what he says is needed is to do EXACTLY what AZ is doing.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Heard the announcement over the AM radio. People were yelling in the background. Gotta love Terminator, the way he's like 'throw the women and children overboard first'.

So Cali defaults, Greece doesn't bail Cali out, the markets go flatline, and we get to live happily ever after with no gov't and grow tomatoes on the capitol lawn to eat.

Can you see the old paradigm is dead? It is a walking, domineering corpse of criminal invalidity.

The End is here, friends. Hang on to your wallets.

And tell a control-freak gov't leech to go get a real job making things.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Chakotay]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Yep, there's a legalization initiative coming up this November. Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010

I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the political arena between the parties. The republicans have already come out against it, and I just haven't heard anything from the democrats or anyone else.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This might be the thing that gets normally "laid-back" Californian's off their duffs, on their feet, and into the streets.

You'll note that ol' Arnie didn't really do one damn thing to increase State revenues (taxes), didn't suggest any action that might impinge on his "Fat-cat" cronies' gravy train of government spending, and , in fact did everything he could to give the middle finger, and the ragged shaft, to the lower and middle class citizens of the State.

Continued, and further cuts to State employees will serve to further diminsh the services available to the most needy of the society; and will, in fact, tend to Increase the number of Californians falling below the poverty line.

You can only work without adequate pay for so long before you can't afford to work at all.

And when the workforce that actually provides the services everyone in the State relies upon (and those who actully pay taxes have paid for) are no longer able to provide those services...

You're going to see ALOT of very unhappy taxpayers hitting the streets as well.

Cutting goods and services to the poor and needy doesn't solve the problem of having vast numbers of poor and needy: they're not that dumb, they're not that mobile, and they ain't got nowhere else better to go to if they were!

And, if by callous cost-cutting actions, you actully force more folks over the poverty line, how are you making the situation any better?

Doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result is a good definition of Stupid.

And let's not be too quick to blame it all on the so-called illegals either.

If there were no illegals, the jobs that they supposedly "steal" from "desparate citizens" would have to be filled somehow. And it is true enough that those positions would be open for "citizens" to fill.

But if this scenario is your dream, think about this:

Those jobs were Always available to the Lowest "bidder". Employers don't hire illegals because the illegals are from a certain country, they hire illegals because the illegals are willing, and able to work for the lowest possible wage!

If it weren't about the money, those jobs would be filled by MBA's and PhD's.

And what happens when employers begin hiring "citizens" to fill those jobs? As a "citizens" most folks would expect, if not demand, to be paid a fair wage for their labor. In the past, this lead to the rise of labor unions.

Is that what you want? To strengthen the currently flacid labor movement in America? To open the door to a "Worker's Paradise"?

And, of course, if an employer is forced to pay his employees higher wages, do you really think that the employer is just going to "eat" the additional expense?

No, of course not! Those expenses will be passed on to the consumer, one way or another.

$5 for a tomato anyone?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

You'll note that ol' Arnie didn't really do one damn thing to increase State revenues (taxes), didn't suggest any action that might impinge on his "Fat-cat" cronies' gravy train of government spending, and , in fact did everything he could to give the middle finger, and the ragged shaft, to the lower and middle class citizens of the State.

He is to busy at the Biltmore 4 seasons on the weekend doing nothing, not caring about anything.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

He is to busy at the Biltmore 4 seasons on the weekend doing nothing, not caring about anything.

top topics

join