It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ethnic cleansing in Arizona

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I heard this on NPR, and it was the first time I heard it put like this:

"Tom Horne, who is now running for attorney general, has come here to focus on TUSD and what we believe is sort of like a cultural cleansing, an ethnic cleansing. It’s very, very clear what this legislature is up to. They’re trying not only to drive immigrants either underground or out of state, but all of us to put us in—really in our place. These measures are absolutely racist measures, backed by racist tendencies on the part of these legislators, and they’re absolutely lying about everything that they say about Raza studies. They’re totally lying. "- Isabel Garcia

TUSD: Tucson Unified School District, Raza studies:

"Well, the program is actually called Mexican American Raza Studies. When I enrolled in the class in 2002, it was titled Hispanic Studies. And so, Mexican American Raza Studies, junior year, is American history through a Chicano perspective, and we look at several different issues, not just nationally and not just within the Chicano community, but globally. And senior year is American government through a social justice perspective, so we learn how to do different methods of looking at social injustices, such as video documentation, photo documentation, blogging, different things like that. "-Kim Dominguez

Juan Gonzaliz: Just three weeks after signing a highly controversial anti-immigrant bill that orders police officers to stop and interrogate anyone they suspect is an undocumented immigrant, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer has signed a new law banning ethnic studies in Arizona public schools."

link

+5 more 
posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Its not racism when you are pro-Mexican even at the expense of your own nation. right.

Even trashing the very value of your own citizenship or legal worker status in the process.

How is the complete undermining of the American work force, starting with that 'B' movie actor, Reagan

NOT a complete trashing of all the people who fought & died for workers rights in this nation? Fought against child labor. Fought for a 40 hour work week. Benefits, bargaining power.

More hatred of honest American working people.

While these Arizona laws are wrong on their face,

Why is it none of the whiners decry the US federal government's complete failure of border control, which Arizona HAS borne the brunt of?

So all you apologists can devalue YOUR citizenship,

YOU have absolutely no right to devalue mine or anyone elses against their will or legal rights.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
edit-

I have had enough of these threads.

Invaders in my opinion. All I am going to post for now on.

Bookmarked for ease of pasting.

[edit on 5/14/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by slank

You can be pro-mexican, pro-black, pro-asian, pro-white etc. all at the same time. That is the American way, right?

What you have is a a Governor signing a controversial bill then following that up with a law that basically bans books and learning about non-white cultures. This law makes the intent of the bill more evident, don't you think so?

The "devaluing" is in the law.

"Apologists"? I don't think so. At least not in my opinion.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
edit-

I have had enough of these threads.

Invaders in my opinion. All I am going to post for now on.

Bookmarked for ease of pasting.

[edit on 5/14/2010 by endisnighe]

Really? I didn't see any threads about this law so I started one. To ban knowledge of culture in schools is a bad idea IMO.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark_price
reply to post by slank

You can be pro-mexican, pro-black, pro-asian, pro-white etc. all at the same time. That is the American way, right?

What you have is a a Governor signing a controversial bill then following that up with a law that basically bans books and learning about non-white cultures. This law makes the intent of the bill more evident, don't you think so?

The "devaluing" is in the law.

"Apologists"? I don't think so. At least not in my opinion.

banning books? thats what you got out of this. Some white racist governor declaring war on hispanics and banning books about their culture. is that your learned opinion? eh bunkie?

All I can say to that is thanks for making it a short read to reveal that your not one we need to try and argue with.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
urbanlegends.about.com...

"Americanization" was a favorite theme of Roosevelt's during his later years, when he railed repeatedly against "hyphenated Americans" and the prospect of a nation "brought to ruins" by a "tangle of squabbling nationalities."

He advocated the compulsory learning of English by every naturalized citizen. "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools."

He also insisted, on more than one occasion, that America has no room for what he called "fifty-fifty allegiance." In a speech made in 1917 he said, "It is our boast that we admit the immigrant to full fellowship and equality with the native-born. In return we demand that he shall share our undivided allegiance to the one flag which floats over all of us."

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN: "In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Anyone disagree?

[edit on 14-5-2010 by infolurker]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ethnic cleansing involves a great deal of murder... One tribe/group/people targets another. It's also known as genocide.

In this case, who's killing all the Mexicans?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phedreus

Originally posted by mark_price
reply to post by slank

banning books? thats what you got out of this. Some white racist governor declaring war on hispanics and banning books about their culture. is that your learned opinion? eh bunkie?

All I can say to that is thanks for making it a short read to reveal that your not one we need to try and argue with.

That was my point. What's your point...self imposed ignorance?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
For those who are interested here is a link to what the law actually is..

House Bill 2281

if we are going to argue about something lets at least know what we are argueing about.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

urbanlegends.about.com...

"Americanization" was a favorite theme of Roosevelt's during his later years, when he railed repeatedly against "hyphenated Americans" and the prospect of a nation "brought to ruins" by a "tangle of squabbling nationalities."

He advocated the compulsory learning of English by every naturalized citizen. "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools."

He also insisted, on more than one occasion, that America has no room for what he called "fifty-fifty allegiance." In a speech made in 1917 he said, "It is our boast that we admit the immigrant to full fellowship and equality with the native-born. In return we demand that he shall share our undivided allegiance to the one flag which floats over all of us."

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN: "In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Anyone disagree?

[edit on 14-5-2010 by infolurker]

I agree. He was a big fan of Africa(got that book and a few others of his). Why can't an African who was born here be the same? Roosevelt's interest was hunting etc. Maybe another's is drumming and culture etc. Why limit what can be taught at school?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Thanks to the member that posted the comment about AMERCANIZING.... When my grandma came from cuba when she was 3, back in the 1940's her mother and father spoke spanish at the house and taught the children english, but no body spoke spanish unless it was in the house because that was their choice to express their culture. But at school, and on the job they spoke english, because they RESPECTED the AMERCIAN CULTURE and were happy to be here. Now a days these lil F***s take everything for granted and have a wrong sense of entitlement to this country. My grandma raised her children to only speak english and married an Irish man. Everyone has the right to express their culture in the privacy of their homes, but when you our out in the streets you should respect the AMERICAN CULTURE!! Once you become an american your new culture is AMERICAN!!! And Kudos to Obama for passing a law where in order to receive your drivers license you will have to take the test in ENGLISH and if you cant read or understand ENGLISH then to bad u dont deserve a D.L .... No more excuses for when they get pulled over "No Comprehenda" as they pull out there card LOL

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Thanks to the member that posted the comment about AMERCANIZING.... When my grandma came from cuba when she was 3, back in the 1940's her mother and father spoke spanish at the house and taught the children english, but no body spoke spanish unless it was in the house because that was their choice to express their culture. But at school, and on the job they spoke english, because they RESPECTED the AMERCIAN CULTURE and were happy to be here. Now a days these lil F***s take everything for granted and have a wrong sense of entitlement to this country. My grandma raised her children to only speak english and married an Irish man. Everyone has the right to express their culture in the privacy of their homes, but when you our out in the streets you should respect the AMERICAN CULTURE!! Once you become an american your new culture is AMERICAN!!! And Kudos to Obama for passing a law where in order to receive your drivers license you will have to take the test in ENGLISH and if you cant read or understand ENGLISH then to bad u dont deserve a D.L .... No more excuses for when they get pulled over "No Comprehenda" as they pull out there card LOL

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
For those who are interested here is a link to what the law actually is..

House Bill 2281

if we are going to argue about something lets at least know what we are argueing about.

So let me get this straight:

"E. THIS SECTION SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED TO RESTRICT OR PROHIBIT:

3. COURSES OR CLASSES THAT INCLUDE THE HISTORY OF ANY ETHNIC GROUP AND
2 THAT ARE OPEN TO ALL STUDENTS,"- from the bill/

While courses about ethnic groups/history are banned.
You can discuss is school; you just can no longer dedicate an entire course or class to the now banned subjects in Arizona? That's it as far as I can tell. That limits knowledge of cultures.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
You can still have ethnic studies courses you just cant have classes that do the following

1. PROMOTE THE OVERTHROW OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.
2. PROMOTE RESENTMENT TOWARD A RACE OR CLASS OF PEOPLE.
3. ARE DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR PUPILS OF A PARTICULAR ETHNIC GROUP.
4. ADVOCATE ETHNIC SOLIDARITY INSTEAD OF THE TREATMENT OF PUPILS AS INDIVIDUALS.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
You can still have ethnic studies courses you just cant have classes that do the following

3. ARE DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR PUPILS OF A PARTICULAR ETHNIC GROUP.

Or American history from a Chicano perspective(Raza).

That's the cleansing part. American History is biased--that's a fact. How can kids learn the truth without seeing both sides of the issue?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You can still have studies from a Chicano perspective, it just has to be open to all students of all ethnic groups and can not promote division or overthrow of the government or promote one ethnic group over another.

The problem now is that in many Ethnic studies classes the "white" view for lack of a better term is never discussed at all and to often under certain instructors these classes become nothing more than "hate whitey" classes.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I would bet there are close to as many illegal Canadians in Arizona - - as there are Mexican.

No one ever talks about that though - - do they?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I would bet there are close to as many illegal Canadians in Arizona - - as there are Mexican.

No one ever talks about that though - - do they?

In the name of all things logical, PLEASE tell me your not serious?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well I seriously doubt that that many Canadians are hunkered down in Arizona but those that are need to be sent back to Canada if they are not here legally.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join