It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hope for Gary McKinnon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
With the change in the UK government Gary McKinnon's lawyers are hoping the tory pledge to stand up to the U.S extends to their client .

Glasgow-born Mr McKinnon, who has Asperger's syndrome, is accused of breaking into the US military computer system. He says he was seeking evidence of UFOs.

Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg said the judicial review was "heartening news" and said he hoped the courts would "display more courage than our ministers".

Last year, Mr Cameron said that if Mr McKinnon had questions to answer there was "a clear argument to be made that he should answer them in a British court".

news.bbc.co.uk...
Hopefully this will signal an end to the affair and Mr McKinnon will face trial in the UK .

[edit on 14-5-2010 by gortex]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I would not hold anyones breath, but its all about favours you know that business.

Will be interesting how that goes.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I hope Cameron stands by what he has said previously and yes I agree, 'it's all about favours'. Gary Mckinnon must have gone through so much stress over the last 4/5 years, surely that's punishment enough.

The US can say what they like about it being one of the biggest military hacks of all time. The truth is their security was minimal and they want to make an example of this guy to draw attention away from their own incompetance.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I would say that backing the U.S in an illegal war ,allowing the U.S to park its jets and nukes on our soil and acting as a broker between the U.S and Europe over the years are pretty big favors .

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Gortex.....

For what it's worth, I never thought McKinnon would do jail time in the USA I've posted to that effect in many threads.

I hope I'm right.....they should just leave the guy alone & get on with more important things.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sadly, I really don't think there is any hope for him. The US claims all this damage was done to their computers but according to Gary, all he did was access their files and it was fairly easy to do with their crummy security. How could he have damaged anything from remotely accessing the files unless he planted something or destroyed something, which according to him he did nothing but look around. I have no reason not to believe the guy and going by the US's track record of lies, even more reason to doubt their claims. They're just out to get him for what he may have seen. Which only implicates them more. Why are they so desperate to get their hands on him? Well, I think it's pretty obvious. He went looking for UFO files and he found some. There's reports all the time of people hacking into government sites. Why is this guy such a high target for him. I think their actions speak for themselves.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ok I don’t believe any thing the US movement says unless its confirmed but a trusted independent source.
But what the hell did Gary McKinnon see that the US wants him extradited.
Well he tell us read on and check out the link.
FROM Independent.co.uk

"So, what punishment would be appropriate?

A punishment proportionate to the crime and consistent with other accused hackers in the UK, including those accused of hacking into the Pentagon. As Robert Gates from the Pentagon said: 300 people a day still infiltrate Nasa and US military computers. There have been no other extradition requests from the US for any other hackers in the world, including a Romanian hacker who hacked into the Pentagon and was sentenced to eight months in Romania, and an Israeli hacker who hacked into the Pentagon and was not even given a sentence and no extradition request.

What were you looking for at Nasa?

Suppressed evidence of reverse engineered UFO technology, free energy that would help to stop climate change and would help to stop old age pensioners from dying of cold... and also evidence of anti-gravity.

What did you find?

A space fleet and an impressive UFO and a total lack of Nasa and military internet security, which I found truly shocking which is why I alerted them via cyber notes. "

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 15-5-2010 by knebauz]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think it's going to cause this government a lot of hassle (not least the preception of going back on their word so early in their term), but I suspect that now they are in power, and US pressure comes to bear, both parties in the coalition are going to hum, ha, and cave in to US demands.

Political parties in opposition say and promise a lot of things, cause they can... and they can dare to be a little bit more 'anti-US, cause they can ... but now, in the real world it will be business as usual

ie: ... bend over and politely ask the US government to give it all they've got.

I just wish that once, just ONCE, a British Prime Minister and a British Government would stick 2 fingers up at the US ... but I don't think it will be this time.

I really hope I'm wrong though, for the lad's sake

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Maybe...maybe not
For what it's worth, I never thought McKinnon would do jail time in the USA I've posted to that effect in many threads.

Hi Maybe...maybe not , I hope you are right , at the moment watching this story unfold is like watching a cat playing with a mouse , you get the feeling there will only be one outcome .

Dagar
I just wish that once, just ONCE, a British Prime Minister and a British Government would stick 2 fingers up at the US

You and me both mate

I think the U.S respect people with backbone , something Labour have been sadly lacking on this Issue , hopefully Cameron has the backbone to test the so called "Special Relationship" and regains the respect this country has lost over the last 13 years .

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel , the new Foreign Secretary William Hague made his first official visit to the U.S this week and met with Hillary Clinton , now he has said that there will be a review of extradition agreement to US .

The Foreign Secretary William Hague has promised that the government will take a fresh look at extradition arrangements between the United Kingdom and the United States. His comments follow a decision by the previous Labour government to surrender a British computer hacker, Gary McKinnon, to the US authorities.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This guy is autistic he should not stand further trial. I hope mr Hague does not knuckle under to the US Government.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What Gary McKinnon has to say is interesting but for all the trouble he is going through.

Why on earth did he use a pitiful 56k modem AND smoke dope at the same time? To me those are very serious mistakes to had been made.

If he had broadband access he would have been able to snag enough incontrovertible evidence from NASA, and of course anyone smoking dope how are you going to take someone seriously if they are under the influence of 'narcotics'? We don't know what kind of physiological effect he has been under.

It's too bad, because I can't tell whether he's lying.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
I hope Cameron stands by what he has said previously and yes I agree, 'it's all about favours'. Gary Mckinnon must have gone through so much stress over the last 4/5 years, surely that's punishment enough.

The US can say what they like about it being one of the biggest military hacks of all time. The truth is their security was minimal and they want to make an example of this guy to draw attention away from their own incompetance.

You bet that the Chineese, Rusisans and any other interested nation has visited this poorly secured mainframe of NASA and other agencies. Gary was so naive to go into a conversation with a system manager and made it easy to backtrack his ID.

The americans got stupified when they realised their computers were this poorly secured and need someone to blame for their own mistake.

Nobody is served if gary has to leave England. The american justice department will only make more fools of themselves.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by redrezo

You do realise how long this has been going on don't you ?
The charges relate to offences carried out between the 1st of Feb 2001 to 19th Mar 2002
He used a 56k modem because that was all that he had available to him, broadband/ high speed internet was not widely available in the UK at that time.
As far as the pot smoking goes I personally have never hallucinated when I have had a smoke.
Did he see things he shouldn't have, I don't know but it just seems like overkill to me to have him extradited and face 60 years in the clink.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
For those ATS members who feel that an injustice is going on in relation to the proposed extradition of Gary McKinnon and want to try to help ,there is a petition which at present stands at 3553 Signatures.
I have signed , will you ?

www.petitiononline.com...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Just signed
Now 3554.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I wish this was over with so Gary could get some peace of mind, I'm on his side all the way. Fingers crossed he's got an ace hidden up his sleeve. He has hinted at that. Though it could be that some folk know about that ace and want it. That might be the real reason they want him. Whatever, let's get the cards on the table, soon.

I seriously hope they don't extradite him, though another side of me wishes that Gary were a much tougher person and that he does go over there for a trial. He could well be the catalyst for complete disclosure, or just a much clearer picture of UFO activity and it's cover-ups, military and NASA corruption, and the inability of these high-level secret keepers to work any damn security on their PCs.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by wigit]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What a difference a change of government can make , things seem to be moving faster in the last few days than they have over the coarse of the whole of this story .
The Scottish Daily Express has today revealed that the nightmare for Gary McKinnon is about to end .

SCOTS computer hacker Gary McKinnon is set to avoid extradition and be tried in Britain, the Scottish Sunday Express can reveal. The 43-year-old’s family expects confirmation from the new Government within days that the decision to send Gary to the USA has been overturned.

www.dailyexpress.co.uk...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
Sadly, I really don't think there is any hope for him. The US claims all this damage was done to their computers but according to Gary, all he did was access their files and it was fairly easy to do with their crummy security. How could he have damaged anything from remotely accessing the files unless he planted something or destroyed something, which according to him he did nothing but look around. I have no reason not to believe the guy and going by the US's track record of lies, even more reason to doubt their claims. They're just out to get him for what he may have seen. Which only implicates them more. Why are they so desperate to get their hands on him? Well, I think it's pretty obvious. He went looking for UFO files and he found some. There's reports all the time of people hacking into government sites. Why is this guy such a high target for him. I think their actions speak for themselves.

The tough part is he admits not remembering much of what he did since he claims to have been high much of the time he was online -- which is his excuse for not making any screen-saves or downloads of images he claims he saw [which could well have been 'honey traps' set up by the security guys to lure and delay hackers like himself].

It's possible he did harmful stuff he can't -- or won't -- remember, which the spooks will never disclose, OR it's possible that most of what he remembers are stoner delusions. Or both.

If what he did was so easy, why isn't anybody else coming forward (with identity security) claiming to corroborate his reported discoveries? Either those discoveries are delusional, or maybe he found some trick nobody else had thought of. And hence earned his distinction.

And in the great game of computer security, making an example out of him serves some purpose, perhaps actually attracting others to try and emulate his techniques when the security guys actually know they will fail.

If that's the case, his undeniable suffering (and dubious Asperger's Syndrome claim) could be part of a cynical and cruel publicity campaign.

It does stink. And probably not by accident.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well,I doubt if the present administration will push for his extradition.

They have more pressing issues with all the real terror suspects to deal with him.

I wouldn't hope on the new Brit administration either.They are after all politicians.You can not believe a word any of them say.

It is most likely he lives in judicial limbo for a while longer.

Nothing better than mentally torturing a person now is there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join