It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

87% believe English should be the official language of the United States; 10% believe it would be ra

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Americans continue to overwhelmingly believe that English should be the official language of the United States and reject by sizable margins the idea that such a move is racist or a violation of free speech.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 87% of Adults favor making English the nation's official language. This is the highest level of support yet but in line with what voters have been saying for several years. Just nine percent (9%) disagree.

Only 10% of Americans say requiring people to speak English is a form of racism or bigotry. Eighty-four percent (84%) disagree and say that's not true.

Twelve percent (12%) believe that declaring English the official language would limit free speech in this country, but 78% feel otherwise and see no limits being placed on free speech.

Over 80% of whites, blacks and those of other racial and ethnic backgrounds agree that requiring people to speak English is not a form of racism or bigotry. These groups also agree by similar percentages that such a requirement is not a limit on free speech in this country.

Source Article

Majority of the Legal Residents of the USA agree with having English as the official language. I don't think anyone should disagree with that. This nation though built on the back of immigrants has always had a common language and that language has been English.

What I do find troubling is that the individuals that do disagree label the majority who favor English as the official language as RACISTS.

Are you in favor of having English as the official language of America or not? Please explain why or why not?

I myself am an immigrant. I learned English when my parents immigrated here and I have never had any quarrels about learning the language, in fact I believe its made me more marketable than anything as I can speak 7 languages and in my field of work it makes me an asset to be able to communicate with such a diverse group of individuals I come across.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It seems like common sense. The funny thing is, the people that are often screaming how racist it would be to make English the official language, are often the same ones saying that government is trying to divide us. What is more divisive than not speaking the same language?! Tower of Babel anyone?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
It seems like common sense. The funny thing is, the people that are often screaming how racist it would be to make English the official language, are often the same ones saying that government is trying to divide us. What is more divisive than not speaking the same language?! Tower of Babel anyone?

I agree, how could a Language be considered racist? It should be common sense to adapt & learn the language of the country you want to become a citizen off.

I never had any issues with it and nor do the many immigrants I know. My temple even has a English class for those new immigrants that come here so they can understand their surroundings more and feel more comfortable in communicating in English.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well lets see, legal documents are in English, legal proceedings are in English, Declaration of Independence....yep English. Makes sense to me for the official language to be English. Makes sense for signage for public services are also in English. As well as driving tests and any other state and federal funded programs. All of this should be conducted in English. If nothing else it would open up an even broader avenue for interpretation service jobs in this country.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
How is it not the official language? I can understand having signs up in other languages and things like that but how is english not the official language already. Ive never thought that english wasn't the official language and I think in almost everybody's mind it is. I've got no problem being accommodating but if this isn't official already, it should be.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Actually the ones screaming racist are the ones here illegally. I really dont like having to..

Press 1 for English

Press 2 para Espanol

Uhhh.. how about 99.9999% of the citizens in this country speak ENGLISH!

Why would you need to cater to .00001% of those that only speak spanish.

I mean there are other extremely minority languages here too

What about

Press 3 for Arabic

Press 4 for Hebrew

Press 5 for Latin

Press 6 for German

etc.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by trueperspective]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I like the fact that Most Americans are so Condition and lazy to even uptake another language.

Most countries in Europe Children Learn two or more languages.

The ego of some American people(yes I am talking to you Border line Racist in Patriot clothes) in superiority blinds the acknowledgment of other cultures language.

America has no "language" English is just the majority of what is written since the nation was formed.

America is not a dictator ship and if you Want America to stay great, a the freedom of speech that be in other languages aswell need to be uphold.

Anger and ignorance is the only thing keeping the American people to the ties that bind.

Yes, sure Immigration is a deal, but A Language that didn't even originate from Mexico , shouldn't. The Nation of immigrants is the USA wether you like it or not and the Different Cultures and languages make this the best place to live.

The ATS-Mads
need to Chill and realize that even English is not native to America.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
Well lets see, legal documents are in English, legal proceedings are in English, Declaration of Independence....yep English. Makes sense to me for the official language to be English. Makes sense for signage for public services are also in English. As well as driving tests and any other state and federal funded programs. All of this should be conducted in English. If nothing else it would open up an even broader avenue for interpretation service jobs in this country.

I agree 100% that driving tests should be in english but I realize the need for multi lingual signs ,at the very least for tourists. I know they have the universal stick man but sometimes thats not enough.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AZ_zman

I speak a fair amount of Spanish. I am also in the process of learning Japanese. Why may you ask? Because I intend to take an extended trip to Japan. Just as with the Japanese business men I deal with every day, they learn English. Why? Because they're coming to a country that predominately speaks that language. It's already the unofficial language of the US, since all legal business is conducted in English there is no reason not to make it official.

edit for VintageEnvy: Not all signs have to be English, I think just government service signs and phone recordings.

[edit on 5/14/10 by Hypntick]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AZ_zman
I like the fact that Most Americans are so Condition and lazy to even uptake another language.

The ego of some American people(yes I am talking to you Border line Racist in Patriot clothes) in superiority blinds the acknowledgment of other cultures language.

America has no "language" English is just the majority of what is written since the nation was formed.

America is not a dictator ship and if you Want America to stay great, a the freedom of speech that be in other languages aswell need to be uphold.

Anger and ignorance is the only thing keeping the American people to the ties that bind.

Yes, sure Immigration is a deal, but A Language that didn't even originate from Mexico , shouldn't. The Nation of immigrants is the USA wether you like it or not and the Different Cultures and languages make this the best place to live.

The ATS-Mads
need to Chill and realize that even English is not native to America.

Again you are trying to make this an against the ILLEGAL thread, stay on topic.

A lot Americans Learn a second language. Majority of Americans that have a diploma have already had been taught two different languages.

It falls on the immigrants to learn the language of this Nation, if they haven't done so then they need to do so. The whole argument on Americans need to learn more languages is Farse because they already do know more than one.

Did you even read the article, you would be in the minority to think that having English as the official language is an infringement of the 1st Amendment. I would suggest reading the constitution again, maybe with Google translator.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
Actually the ones screaming racist are the ones here illegally. I really dont like having to..

Press 1 for English

Press 2 para Espanol

[edit on 14-5-2010 by trueperspective]

I dont see the problem in this. Now if I had to press 1 for (insert a language other then english) then I'd be ircked, but not when it is the first one to push.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
While I understand why people want to make it the official language, do you think it would really change anything? In areas where hispanics live predominately you will still have spanish signs and hear spanish often. In any tourist area you will still have signs for other languages. When calling for customer support you'll still have "press 1 for English". If you think this will change, you're ridiculous.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by VintageEnvy

I can understand having signs up in other languages and things like that but how is english not the official language already. Ive never thought that english wasn't the official language and I think in almost everybody's mind it is. I've got no problem being accommodating but if this isn't official already, it should be.

Its not official when government documents are printed and processed in a hundred other languages. They give tests and documents for federal programs are in languages other than English.

I hate to see stores that have signs in English and spanish. The other day I was in Lowe's (a home improvement store) and asked the manager why the signs were in English and spanish, instead of English and Fench, which is the second de facto language here. He had no idea, it just came from their headquarters as such. Although, we all know why.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
While I understand why people want to make it the official language, do you think it would really change anything? In areas where hispanics live predominately you will still have spanish signs and hear spanish often. In any tourist area you will still have signs for other languages. When calling for customer support you'll still have "press 1 for English". If you think this will change, you're ridiculous.

I don't that would change, and it shouldn't change. English should be learned by everyone living in this country as it is the official language. It doesn't mean that you have to use it all the time. But to say that I will not learn English because it is Racist or my 1st amendment rights are violated is pretty foolish because none of that would be true. Even the democrats in their immigration reform package want everyone to learn English, which is the common sense thing to do.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

It makes sense to me. The dialect people use in most cases doesn't concern me. But when it comes to official business of government I do care. Several years ago there was a debate up here (MN) that would allow people to take the written part of a driving test in the language of their choice. Am I the only one who has a problem with that? (Other people did to) I mean there's this little issue of being able to read the signs. Someone who diden't agree with me said "It doesn't matter, people know the shape of stop and yield signs anyway"! Jesus priest, I need a valium...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by VintageEnvy
... I realize the need for multi lingual signs ,at the very least for tourists.

I have been around the world, and the signs don't cater to english speakers. Signs here should be in English. If you go as a tourist, you don't expect a country to tailor themselves to your language. I didn't.

In areas where hispanics live predominately you will still have spanish signs and hear spanish often.

If a business wants to do that, that's their choice. Government documents for welfare, drivers licenses, citizenship, road signs, etc should not.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AZ_zman

Why should Americans have to learn another language? There is no real need to.

They might "learn" but that doesn't mean that they can actually speak the language; it's like American kids learning French or Spanish. Most kids have to take English in Europe. If you go up to most and try to talk with them, they can't speak English.

That was probably somewhat unnecessary. Anyway, you bring up culture. Isn't the culture in the United States and American one that is dominanted by English? Shouldn't the immigrants learn English? Why do Americans have to respect the other culture but the immigrants don't?

Now, no one in reality is saying that an immigrant should entirely abandon their culture. The vast majority of Americans find other cultures interesting. But when you immigrate into a culture, you should integrate.

You mentioned Europe before. Did you know that European countries make immigrants take classes just to learn the language? Isn't that so racist and bigoted?

Makes English a perfect official language if you ask me.

Just because English is the official language doesn't mean that people would lose freedom of speech in another language that they might speak.

Of course, it wouldn't be an issue because they'd speak English anyway.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

I don't that would change, and it shouldn't change. English should be learned by everyone living in this country as it is the official language. It doesn't mean that you have to use it all the time. But to say that I will not learn English because it is Racist or my 1st amendment rights are violated is pretty foolish because none of that would be true. Even the democrats in their immigration reform package want everyone to learn English, which is the common sense thing to do.

But if none of this changes, what gets people to learn English? While people born here will, those traveling here won't. I don't know much about our immigration process now but is there an English competency test? Or does any country use something similar?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Several years ago there was a debate up here (MN) that would allow people to take the written part of a driving test in the language of their choice. Am I the only one who has a problem with that?

What's worse is, in my home state of Florida, you can vote in English or Spanish. Isn't that nuts? I was really confused when I learned that because, being able to speak English is one of the qualifications for citizenship.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I am in favor of having a single language as the official language for a country.

If you can't speak the common language, how do you expect to stay informed?

What will you do if there is an emergency and no one is available to give you instructions in your native tongue?

I think that a common language helps all the residents of a country through better communication.

If you wanted to migrate to Germany, would you expect to learn the language?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join