It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the need for a one wolrd government relate to Star Trek?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
In Star Trek the federation will not allow worlds to join the Federation unless the countries on the planet are all at peace. One world government is almost required.

So maybe there is a larger reason people are fighting so hard for a one world government, like ET told them it was required prior to disclosure.

Silly?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Considering that one world government does not guarantee peace and for many people in many regions one world government almost guarantees increased violence, albeit a more unified and directed violence as most adopt an anti-establishment resistance militancy to their already natural violence patterns, I seriously doubt ET wishing us to be under one flag factors in at all.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Good point.
There is never a guarantee of peace.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann
one world government is the antithesis of sovereignty, and liberty.

Jews will be running (ruining) the world.

The world will not have it.

From Star Trek to bigot in 2.3 posts.....well done

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

So maybe there is a larger reason people are fighting so hard for a one world government, like ET told them it was required prior to disclosure.

There’s the magic word; fighting.

Is it an achievement for one set of principles to eradicate countless cultures, ideologies and philosophies just so we can be “one”?

Don’t forget, that “one” – as a concept - is a set of beliefs and ideas decided upon by a very small set of individuals. It eschews the idea of a world-wide communal decision and any real democratic choice.

Is that peace, or conquest?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beamish

Is that peace, or conquest?

Isnt conquest peace? And absolute conquest is absolute peace?

Not much is more peaceful than the complete eradication of everyone who doesnt agree.

Just keep going down the line until their is only one person left.

Very peaceful. At least until he starts shouting at shadows and cursing god(s).

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Isnt conquest peace? And absolute conquest is absolute peace?

Not much is more peaceful than the complete eradication of everyone who doesnt agree.

And would you want to live in a world that achieved “peace” through “complete eradication of anyone who doesn’t agree”?

Hitler tried it, I believe…

Sarcasm aside, the whole “Federation” thing is a fabulous concept, but only if it was realized by mutual consent. And how the hell do we do that when we are such a diverse species in thought and deed?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I hate to burst your cute lil bubble here- but a) there WAS no federation until Cochrane did warp and brought an alien race to Earth: a broken, disabled, war torn Earth. b) The Federation DID NOT exist until after the warp flight, and things were fixed WITH THE HELP of aliens offering their insights. The Federation was born on Earth.

c) It's sci fi- I may know it, but I seriously doubt it'll happen like that. If at all.

d) Know YOUR sci fi- THEN make posts. Otherwise, ya get pwn4d.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Perhaps a completely peaceful populous that agrees most of the time isn't really important for the ET's, as long as we meet their requirements for a strong central government, whatever those may be. Don't assume that just because they're way more technologically advanced than us that they're some super-peaceful touchy-feely benevolents.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

The Federation was born on Earth.

Now hang on! I’ve read several threads on ATS, and hundreds of grainy videos on Youtube that absolutely prove that the Galactic Federation of Brotherly Light and Love exists!!!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

*drums fingers on desk*

WRONG FEDERATION, YOU!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Oops. Sorry. Federation, Empire; it’s all so confusing what with them both being channeled information…

Does this negate my being an ambassador to this, or any, Federation?

Oh well.

I’d rather be in Special Circumstances anyway…

Now that’s a form of government I’d like.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I've thought exactly the same thing for quite some time. It makes perfect sense to me.

Course I'm somewhat of a Trekkie.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Taking Trek as a model for what could be going on, assuming there are aliens and they are waiting for us to get to some point before revealing themselves, then there's other factors besides being a peaceful world at work.

One of those is achieving a certain tech level - in Trek terms that means achieving Warp Drive capability. Before that level of tech achievement, the Federation considers a world too backwards to be considered for inclusion. After that threshold they reveal themselves and make contact with the world's authorities and offer friendship.

My point is, there could be multiple and varied factors as to why aliens are reluctant to reveal themselves so far. Tech level, philosophical/spiritual enlightenment, world peace...these could be things. Or maybe the Galactic Empire prefers its members to have very strong authoritarian ideals, and only opens up to worlds ruled by evil dictators...who really knows.

Another space opera that offers a compelling explanation of what could be going on Out There is David Brin's "Uplift" novels: Sundiver, Startide Rising, The Uplift War, etc. In that universe, Earth is a forgotten backwater that only is even noticed by Inter-Galactic Civilization at large when we build our first interstellar space craft. The politics of that civilization are very complex and involve billions of years of breeding and genetic manipulation of lesser pre-sentient species into sentient, spacefaring species. Since the fabled Progenitors, the first species to achieve sentience on their own, nearly all other species in the history of the Five Galaxies were raised up, or "uplifted" to sentience by another, prior race. Humans seem to be an exception, we are a "wolfling" species who may have achieved sentience on our own. Some theorize that another species came a few hundred thousand years ago and began our path to sentience, in secret (and thus illegally), and then abandoned the project before finished and we evolved the rest of the way on our own.

By the time the books start, humans have themselves uplifted chimpanzees to sentience (there's spacefaring chimps with PhD's in the series
), and we've begun the process for dolphins, too. The second book involves a mostly dolphin-crewed ship, with some humans and one chimp, who crash-land on a world and discover a new species that is ripe for uplift - so by that point, only a few hundred years after humans (with their chimp and dolphin clients/allies) are getting out into the galaxies, and starting to find alien species to bring to sentience as well.

Sci-fi has a lot of good theories to offer as to why aliens could be out there and not really making themselves known. Brin's books are some of the best, I'd highly recommend them to anyone.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
you hit the nail on the head. star & flag. but i think the need for a one world govt is more sinister, dominate and control.
as for the galactic federation. this would make sense for spacefaring races to have a galactic federation, so they dont step on each others toes or tendrils or whatever. if earth were to join this federation,
which country speaks for earth? (not america)
who gets first dibs at the alien tech?
who is in charge of world security?

i can think of 100 questions. unfortunately i Don't have faith in any current govt anywhere on our little blue rock (earth).

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hitler wanted a one world government too.

One world government = serfdom for all.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This is interesting...topic went from Star Trek to talking dolphins...

Well my two cents is that the NWO is purely a product of petty human desires and has nothing to do with otherworldly involvement.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm thinking more like a zero world government.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm thinking more like a zero world government.

new topics

top topics

join