It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Russia Signs Arms Deal With Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Report: Russia Signs Arms Deal With Syria

www.haaretz.com

Russia has signed deals with Syria under which it will sell it warplanes, anti-tank weapons and air defense systems, Itar-Tass news agency quoted a senior Russian arms trader as saying on Friday.

Mikhail Dmitriyev, head of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, said Russia would supply Syria with MiG-29 fighters and truck-mounted Pantsir short-range surface-to-air missiles and anti-aircraft artillery systems.

He did not specify the kind of anti-tank weapons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS, that I have wait all week!

After Russian presidents visit I have read about all other kind of deals in energy sector and nuclear plants, but this is what Ive really been waiting for.

AAs are Pantsirs, ok - not S-300 but but very latest tech from Russia and MIGs are updated too. I believe that we are talking about those very deadly AT missiles in this deal.

Some analyst went to say few days ago, that if arms deal will be done there is no other way than Saudi money behind those deals, because Syria cant afford to buy any weaponry now - just after their latest debt is overwritten just year ago.

This is harcore news and shows us how imminent is the all out war in ME and just after USA has by reports deployed Bunker busters and starting to deliver missile shields to Israel - Russia is doing the same in Syria.

This is very alarming - I also recomend fellow ATS thread:

"Turkish Air Defense System Deployed to "Defend Syria, Iran against Israel Raids"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Turkey really has sided its policy with Russia and China against Israel/US hegemony policies. "WW3, anyone? - Just get ready!"

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Seems like all the pieces are being put into place, things are looking to be stepping up a notch. Nice thread with the others included starts to build a bigger picture.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Mig 29s... Those are some sick jets man.......

Syria is going to be more than ready...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Mad!
I wonder how much Russia will make from this, like you said 'if' the Saudi's are giving money to Syria to buy this stuff, then them saudis have deep pockets.

Wonder when things will kick off.
Bet Israel wont likd this news.

ALSO- What with the Turkis anti-aircraft news, I think tension between Turky and Greece is on the increase.
Due to Greece's money troubles there affraid Turky may try to gain more land (read that on BBC news earlier.)

[edit on 14/5/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to weaponary so I will have to research further but even to me it seem that balance is evening out more with more nations getting on board.
Oh and I guess Turkey has just waved goodbye to gaining entry into Europe.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

Here is a link with some info about them Wiki - Mig 29

They are quality pieces of equipment.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This time its different.No coalition of the willing,now we have countries choosing sides and not afraid of going up against Israel,U.S,U.K.and relevant allies.All these weapons changing hands ,war games,tough talk will lead to conflict,you don't buy weapons to put them on display in your lounge room you buy weapons to use and they have a use- by date stamped on them.
If war breaks out i hope Australia leaves some defence at home because I remember hearing about 20 years ago how Indonesia would be a threat if relations broke down ,200million approx people on our northern doorstep and which team do they play for?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The new Lebanon battlefield

Nobody knows whether a war will break out in Lebanon this summer. Yet what is completely clear is that a war in the north – if and when such war breaks out – will not be like the war that took place there in 2006. Hezbollah is growing stronger every day, in terms of the number of fighters, quantity of missiles, and capabilities. And what’s even more significant: The way this military power will be utilized will be vitally different.

www.ynetnews.com...

- And this is fighting Lebanon only without escalations.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

israel tagged hezbollah part of the syrian army, and if hezbollah hit israel then israel will hit syria, iran has a military alliance with syria so what does that mean? a large regional war that will most likely escelate into a world war.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

Yep - Thats the way situation has developed since Gaza war, and it has been waited to happen so. Also Turkey has change their side against Israel after beginning of this new era and started deep cooperation with Syria, and first time for long time many Arab countries has alligned in front of Israeli threats.

- China cant loose Iran.
- Russia will not loose Syria.
- Both of them are backing Lebanon.

New ME war is whole another ball game - today WW3 is my quess.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
This is harcore news and shows us how imminent is the all out war in ME and just after USA has by reports deployed Bunker busters and starting to deliver missile shields to Israel - Russia is doing the same in Syria.

Seems that something else might be going on here. There's this news today:

Medvedev to Assad: Israel intends to use nuclear weapons on Syrian cities

Moreover, Russian President Medvedev made it clear that currently there is a silent agreement between the major powers, Russia, USA, France, Britain and Germany, and Israel, that in a Total war, Israel will get all the breathing space it will need to Overpower the Arab world. The message from Jerusalem to Damascus was in these Russian President Medvedev handed Syrian President Bashar Assad, an Israeli Warning

Seems the Russians might just be trying to play both sides in order to strike a better deal for the sale.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

It definitly looks like the ME will be where the three world powers would fight for who they support. China supports Iran, Russia supports Syria, and USA supports Israel. So.... Israel attacks Hebollah/Syria and Russia & Iran will retaliate, then Israel will attack Iran and China will retaliate. That would definitly send the whole ME into war.

The scariest part is that all of this has been prophecied, in the bible and by 'seers'. All I have to say is that if Damascus is destroyed, I am becoming a Christian. I know it might be a self fulfilling prophecy, but I will take my chances and become a believer.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
2nd part of article what I send above...

Getting ready for Hezbollah

IDF to head into next Lebanon war with more firepower, upgraded capabilities

www.ynetnews.com...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

the Bible in that sense is more of a script in a play
as it takes actors to follow the script,

when someone watches harry potter they dont say its fullfiling a prophecy as the films based on a book written by a person.

just like people who keep going on about prophecy of the bible it takes people to follow it and to act on it. its nothing HOLY and MIGHTY,

if people didnt act and follow such dribble, the prohhecy would mean bugger all.
but another script which people chose to ignore.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I said in opening post about possible Saudi connection in these arms trades - now FM of Israel is aiming Saudis!

‘Two-Track Lieberman’ Phones Britain, Takes Aim at Saudi Arabia

Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman has taken on two new tasks -- inviting Britain’s new Foreign Minister William Hague to visit and publicizing Saudi Arabia’s human rights violations.

The Foreign Ministry this week breathed a sigh of relief after Nick Clegg, the Liberal Democratic leader who has condemned Israel and backs a boycott, fared worse than expected at the polls. He was appointed Deputy Prime Minister in the new Conservative government, leaving the Foreign Office post for Hague, a Conservative.

The “Saudi Arabia track” features a campaign to use various North American and European lobbies to raise public awareness of human rights violations in what the United States and media label a “moderate” Arab country. Foreign Minister Lieberman has concluded that Saudi Arabia is financing an international campaign to de-legitimize Israel, according to the Hebrew-language newspaper Maariv.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

- Even the idea that Israel is going to true clashing course with Saudi Arabia is stunning, now when Turkey has already take that stance, think about the impact about it to everything in ME policies!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Something more to think about...

Syria, Hizballah are building a massive wall in eastern Lebanon

Hizballah and Syria are building a massive fortified wall, running from Rashaya Al-Wadi on the western, Lebanese slopes of Mt. Hermon (85 kilometers southeast of Beirut) in the south, to the Lebanese Beqaa Valley town of Aita el-Foukhar, in the north, debkafile's military sources reveal.

The structure, 22 kilometers long in parallel to the Lebanese-Syrian border promises to be one of the biggest fortified structures in the Middle East. It is designed as an obstacle against any Israeli tank forces heading through Lebanon toward the Syrian capital, Damascus. When it is finished, the barrier will isolate a key Lebanese border region - 14 kilometers wide and 22 kilometers long - from the rest of the country and place it under Hizballah-Syrian military control.

www.debka.com...

top topics

join