It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autistic Boy Charged With Making Terrorist Threats Over Stick-Figure Sketch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I don't know what to say about this
This is severe paranoia, I never seen anything like this before

Is it just me or are schools becoming the enemy lately?
Not all schools of course but still, way too many it seems.
From spying on kids even while at home to calling autistic children that draws terroists.

No ModernAcademia its not just you. I feel that if I did what I did growing up in school I would probably been put away. School is where the young learn and some of the greatest lessons is making a mistake and being taught why those actions were a mistake.

This is an outstanding example why one should consider home education for our young. I moved to the UK and in the country far from cities for my two girls to be taught in school and they have lovely accents as a bonus. Where I lived before, kids had no values and BMWs were in student car parks which shamed the facility parking lots in some peoples values. This was pointed out to me by a young person before moving from Marin County. I miss living at home but never once worried about my kids in Devon England.

Problem most people myself included are either not financially or clever enough to do home education and also there are socialization skills not taught by home education so most of us must send our kids to the system to be taught. With the video games (you are able to kill your opponents and reset the game and they are alive again!) and what is on TV these days I am sure this child did not understand what he did and certainly did not deserve the attention he has received because of the teachers inabilities to teach and to deal with the situation. When I was young it was said that Johnny cannot read. They said when my second girl was entering the English school system that Johnny was now teaching and I am quoting my mother who was a teacher.

After reading this I guess Johnny is now hiring the teachers
!

SnF OP I would never have seen this outrage had you not posted this and I have emailed my Mom this link as I am sure she will be amazed by the teachers decision.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'm giving this a *BUMP* because more people need to be reading about this article. The term terrorist has now gained ground as a term that is being used too loosely.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Tragic
I'm sorry to say that a 3rd grader (by his mentality stated) knows that they shouldn't draw a picture of himself shooting his teacher.
I will say though that maybe he didn't understand what happens when the trigger is pulled?
I have a cousin, who's son has autism. I know that he's really smart but there are simple things that just don't make any sense at all to him.
They need to do some homework on Autism and then make their decisions.
But facing terrorist charges? Are you F'in kidding me?!
It's a drawing, not a real gun!
Crikey, these people need to get a grip.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Tragic]

This quote shows absolute ignorance of children, or anyone, handicapped or non-handicapped. That drawing = art therapy, releasing stress, problems and worries.
For example there are therapists, if you've been a victim of rape, abusive relationships, or any number of abuses that cause RAGE, who will tell you many ways to discharge rage, for it causes extreme physical and emotional consequences including but not limited to depression, changes in personality, coldness, illnesses, including cancer.

One way is to take a bat, and hit an old mattress repeatedly, screaming enraged swear words at the person who harmed you. This in addition to journal writing leading to metaphysics and forgiveness can work wonders, and can take a person short cut through years of abuse counseling, like coming out the other side in maybe 4-6 months.

Its not pretty.

Children, and teenagers who have problems with communications, either handicapped or special have a great deal of frustrations, inner turmoil, and rage! With the kind of teachers we have here in canada, that picutre would be like a breathrough, a way to understand that he was experiencing great frustrations, and anger over not being heard.

For autistic children, light, sound and stimulis can be an overload.

This is OUTRAGEOUS!

You inherit Facism by ALLOWING it. There are consequences to action, or disaction.

This would be a moment for large numbers of parents to literally storm the school, the sheriff's office and local leaders office and not budge, leave until they BACK DOWN.

Rather live in a state of constant revolution than allow the leaders the happy happy joy joy of a peaceful group of slaves. Take that expectation away and get with freeing your country.

Never let any issues slip under the rug.

This shows ignorance of any handicapped?

Did I ever state that this couldn't have been a form of self-expression (art)? No, I surely did not.
Did I say this child should be charged wih terrorism? Hmm, no, didn't say that either. I said they are going overboard.

I am also saying that with Autism, things are tricky. Some things people with Autism understand, other things they don't. It really depends on the kind of autism from what I have experienced. Do you deny that?
So, I don't know why you're twisting things around. But maybe you should try some basic reading comprehension. Or maybe if you didn't understand what I was saying, you could have asked for clarification.
Oh ... but then you wouldn't have had a rant session. My mistake

As to why he's in regular 8th grade classes - My cousin's son is in 4th grade regular classes. He does have special therapy and go to special classes 2 times a week (used to be 4 times a week). But for his mother, she doesn't want him to be labeled as anything other than a normal kid. Also, she doesn't want him to use autism as an excuse to not try. So, she keeps him in these classes as long as she can. She figures if he can do the work (he struggles so much but with help he gets it) then why put him in a position to be labeled etc.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Tragic]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
These stp1d teachers all have wished people dead in there lifes, its called human nature, and depicting it in some picture makes it no different than those teachers who hate some pupils, and do not tell us the teachers do not hate some pupils really badly.

Pure hypocrites again.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Seriously though, how can you CHARGE an autistic child with anything over a drawing? The most incompetent DA must know this will end up in family court!

I think this may be a misunderstanding. I've only read the myfoxdc.com link from the OP, so there's probably more information out there that would clarify, but here's the quote:

A fourteen-year-old autistic boy is facing terrorist charges after a sketch he made in school.

(snip)

Officials at Ridgeview Charter School say the student will face a tribunal and is being charged with making terrorist threats.

So it's not clear to me that these are even actual legal charges or if it's some kind of internal thing in the school. "The student will face a tribunal" is not the way that I'd expect the article to be worded if we were actually talking about a DA bringing charges in a criminal court.

So the kid was mad at his teacher and expressed that anger in a drawing...,

What the hell kind of teacher can't cope with this?

I have to admit I also share the concern posed by rcjw in this thread -- what was a boy with the mental capacity of a third grader doing in an eighth-grade class reading an assignment that includes "his mom has had a nervous breakdown ... " in the first line. I don't know much of anything about mainstreaming autistic kids, but it seems like common sense that if a kid is mature enough to deal with that kind of topic, he should be expected not to do things like draw death threats to his teacher on his homework assignments. Mind, I'm saying this in the assumption that this is not a law-enforcement issue, but one that has been rather misleadingly portrayed by FoxDC.

This is a non-issue being inflated to level of "news" to ensure that governance by fear continues unabated... pathetic!

Agreed.

I actually think there's an issue to be discussed here even assuming that the "charges" mentioned are a school disciplinary thing and not a law enforcement thing, and that's how easy it's become to throw around the label "terrorist(ic) threat".

[edit on 5/14/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm sorry but doesn't it seem weird to anybody that an autistic child with the mental capacity of a 3rd grader is in the 8th grade?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It does seem odd.
Are you saying the mother is fibbing and just saying he has a lower mentality than in actuality? (Oh, lord please don't anyone take that the wrong way. I am really curious. I didn't think of that one, myself)
But look at our school systems here.
It doesn't take a whole lot to pass these days
Hooray for educators not wanting to bother.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

You raise a valid point, and I may be assuming too much regarding the story.

I suppose its just a knee-jerk reaction to the word 'charge' but in conjunction with the legal term 'terrorist' I hope I can be forgiven the possible overreaction.

Still, I can't imagine the teacher being so fearful of the student that it comes to bringing so many resources to bear... It must be the 'good old days' in my memories influencing what I believe should be the proper way to confront such behavior in students.

And I will plainly state - I have no special knowledge of Autism or special need students in this regard. I have always been under the impression that people afflicted with this condition are extremely challenged when it comes to expressing themselves to what to them is a completely alien world (our 'social' world) so I naively fantasize that the teacher would approach the student and calmly ask if "you really wanted to hurt me", and take it from there... you know ... counseling-style.

This teacher seems to have been trained at Guatanamo... considering it must be their position that this autistic student is capable of terrorism in the name of combating the 'mean old teacher.'

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tragic

It just seems odd to me.

Either he is in a way to far advanced class or maybe his mom is lying to make it seem he didn't know what he was doing.

Either way its messed up.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
As stated previously, the autistic children I know of are in regular classes but go to a "special needs" class sometime during the day. I believe this is supposed to help with the maturing of the child, being with other children with more maturity. I don't know if this is the case with all school systems or if this is handled by each school district individually. This may also be a policy from the No Child Left Behind.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Mudman21]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

Doesn't work for me.

Not every school system does this and you don't know if that is the case here.

You can state this same thing over and over again but it doesnn't answer the question. Besides thats a pretty big leap in maturity level.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man

Not every school system does this and you don't know if that is the case here.

LOL! Is this not exactly what I stated in my post, that I didn't know if all school systems where like the one I stated?

I don't claim to know how the school systems work! If I knew that I would not have made the OP as I would then understand why an autistic child is being accused of terroristic threats!

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Mudman21]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It seems like TPTB and everyone else for that matter will use any opportunity to use the word "Terrorist". Even if it applies to a kid with autism. I think that alone should have given this child an out on this and besides what boy hasn't drawn graphic images of war by means of stick figure before?

I used to draw whole battle scenes complete with tanks, planes and blood.

I didn't turn out to be a terrorist. Why would this kid with a disability that renders most actions incomprehensible be considered a terrorist?

Is it because Autism and Al Qaeda both start with an A?

Ridiculous!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
FOX News Atlanta

Fox news Atlanta now has an article on this.

According to the article, the child is being charged with committing Terroristic threats, a felony.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Absolute bull, everyone on planet earth wishes people dead, and its a crime to try and prosecute one person, and i bet that teacher, has wished some of his pupils would die. Its a fact of life.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The worst about this story is that some people thinks what he did was "bad". Even if they admit the label "terrorist" is too much the PTB still managed to make them accept that you can't draw what you want.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I don't really know what prevents video gamers from being called terrorist theses days. I think it will come soon (worst than the map maker terrorists)...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
Something doesn't make sense. I heard about this, since its a few minutes from me and what is odd is MOM is claiming he has the capacity of a third grader, yet he is in a standard 8th grade class???? How is that, how is he able to mentally complete his work and assignments if he truly is that handicapped, yet not understand his drawing?

He is also being charged with terroristic threats, NOT terrorist threats....HUGE difference.

Bottom line is we have kids showing up at schools these days killing other kids and teachers...should this be addressed, YES! Autism is a sad thing and I feel for this family and boy, but I never knew autism as an excuse to draw pictures of killing your teacher....last I heard autism causes kids to repeat things, restrict interaction, and body movement, NOT cause for drawings like this.

EDIT TO ADD: And when I say it should be addressed, I don't mean arrested...I mean the parents and school should take all measures to get him help. Talk to him, find out whats going on, etc....he doesn't need to be charged...I agree, but does need to be made aware of what he did isn't smart and why.

[edit on 5/14/2010 by rcwj1975]

I will tell you why he was in that class: The school systems promore dosabled kids along with their same age counterparts so they will not be stigmatized by being huge in a clas of little kids...they call it ' social promotion'.

I KNOW this because my own dear 15 year old son, who is disabled with Aspergers as well as worse illnesses, was promoted along no matter what his grades were. The school is quite open about it and know that keeping big kids, no matter how they are mentally, with little kids is a recipe for trouble.

The schools are supposed to have individual programs for each kid that is disabled, and most do not so they stick them in disciplinary classes, etc. I had to fight the system tooth and nail to get real education for my son.

Tis is an outrage, using cops to charge kids, even the disabled kids...sick.

it is part of a pattern: Schools today are referring many kids to cops for things that were a few years ago just normal stuff. Zero tolerance means zero intelligence.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ickylevel
The worst about this story is that some people thinks what he did was "bad". Even if they admit the label "terrorist" is too much the PTB still managed to make them accept that you can't draw what you want.

Actually, autism usually prevents any form of clear communication, except for those children lucky enough to have the funding for the intense one on one program that can normalize their lives more, the one that there was controversy here in BC when Gordon Campbell cut the funding, though I believe the courts reinstated it as a given right. There are other findings too, such as for austism, apraxia/dsylexia and even down syndrom, that jumping on a trampoline and a jungle gym playground equipement improved the testing results, it was like rewiring. And it needed to be very prolonged, year after year, also, art, music, reconnects wiring. I even asked with my sons who have apraxia, if hemisync would help, and it does.

But....no teacher that is worth their salt would ever consider any communication from an autistic child or adult to be bad, they would consider this a strong indication that there was inner turmoil and frustrations and the person couldnt communicate it properly. In other words, this would be seen as a wonderful drawing, a gem, a clue to help them find out how to meet his needs better.

Also, does a parent flip out when their 3 year old son yells, "I hate you mommy/daddy, I wish you were dead." Just about every single one of them does this when they're mad, even the little angels. This implies the teacher was not suited for the job.

In reality, it actually implies NWO, and bubblegum mentality rules and reguilations that have nothing to do with teaching, or helping, but only control and abuse and terrrorizing civilians.

And like I said, don't let any of this slide for even one second. Get out and make your voices heard. Line up at the schools, police station and leaders offices with Bullhorns, do the Alex Jones things and don't go home till they back down. Its time. I don't see why any violence has to happen, for people to really really really make their voices stubbornly heard without backing down. But you need numbers. Time to organize the way to meet and do these things in each town and community. So people can be alerted to their true civic duty, that is to control and police their system, and ensure it is transparent and serves the people.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by americandingbat

You raise a valid point, and I may be assuming too much regarding the story.

I suppose its just a knee-jerk reaction to the word 'charge' but in conjunction with the legal term 'terrorist' I hope I can be forgiven the possible overreaction.

That was my original assumption too, and given the Fox Atlanta link posted in this post it may even be true:

Originally posted by Mudman21
FOX News Atlanta

Fox news Atlanta now has an article on this.

According to the article, the child is being charged with committing Terroristic threats, a felony.

Although I would note that the Fox Atlanta link does not give any source for the assertion that there will be felony charges beyond the mother and the school saying that he "will face charges" which could refer just to the school tribunal.

Still, I can't imagine the teacher being so fearful of the student that it comes to bringing so many resources to bear... It must be the 'good old days' in my memories influencing what I believe should be the proper way to confront such behavior in students.

What really is bothering me about this story is the apparent use of the term "terrorist" to cover any threat. Regardless of the boy's age or mental ability, I don't see how a clearly personally-motivated death threat can be categorized as a "terrorist threat".

Back in my school days, I recall people sometimes drawing rather violent images. If one of those images had contained an overt threat directed at a specific teacher, I think they would have been punished in some way (a talking-to and detention, most likely). That seems perfectly reasonable to me. In this case, given the boy's autism, I would think that a reevaluation of his mainstreaming might be in order rather than a punishment. But a death threat is not the same thing as a terrorist threat, legally or colloquially, and I am extremely bothered that a school would conflate the two the way that seems to have happened in this case.

EDIT TO SAY: I just did a little research into the term "terrorist charge" and found that it does in fact cover personal death threats and is actually different and separate from charges of "terrorism" which cover politically or religiously motivated threats of violence against civilians. Sorry, my bad.

[edit on 5/14/2010 by americandingbat]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join