It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Kill Your Facebook Page" Backlash Gains Speed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by another_lurker
I do have a facebook page, but I don't post on there when I'm "taking a dump"

Ahhh why not....if the government or anyone really wants to know what your doing, why not share a good turd release????
I mean make it worth their while for checking your page...

I have a facebook, I like it because its my means of keeping in touch with my old military friends, college friends, and family....its easy, convenient, and free....and there is nothing on my profile or in my facebook account that the government doesn't already have....its just more fear mongering BS..IMO!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I also failed to mention that they are thinking of allowing the Military to access Facebook and Myspace. We do have brothers and sisters in green who do not support the war completely. They like talking about all the nasty things they have been seeing, and this might also be a way to catch "traitors".

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Ah, I play farmville, thats about it. I seldom if ever have given any legit details to a social networking site and prefer my keepings-in-touch to be done the old fashioned way. Phone calls.

I can see how the database of potential info can be seen as intimidating to some, but probably only to those who didn't think out the potential risks associated with the entire internet to begin with.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Never had a page like this and never will.

Though I have been tempted to create one of those "I'm a terrorist" identities.

Seems like every time some plotting or active terrorist is caught they always have one of these pages with little blog entries about how much they like "jihad."

Really? Are they all that stupid?

Makes me want to make one myself. Things I like: "fun" (has to be my favorite moron past time, of course you like fun you idiot, by its very definition fun is a thing you like, what the hell does it mean when you list "fun" as a thing you like?) and "jihad."

Maybe go so far as to "tweet" updates like "just picked up 4th bag of fertilizer" and "running from parked rental van".

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

i see to remember being connected with humanity before facebook or the internet. Congress has actually created a facebook page so I dont think the govt has any doing in this

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

One of my friends got her Facebook hacked and "revealing" pictures posted on her account - but everyone realised that it was hacked, it was embarassing, but - I think we're all a lot more aware of online-idiocy.

There's plenty of drunken photos of myself that I wouldn't put on my account, but I don't really bat an eyelid if I see them of people I know - I'm aware they drink.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
facebook is the best application to collect personal information e to sell to other agencies or companies ... thats a fact

its a industrial gold mine too

I wont extend into it ... but its obvious

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I hope people keep their facebook. I'm at the top of my class with my GPA because about half of my classmates are on facebook during biochemistry. I deleted mine over a year ago. Time is wasted by imbeciles posting their status, who cares if you had toast this morning????

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MandBB

Facebook is a social networking site, where you can publish information you deem fit of yourself and broadcast to the world without fear or favour.

As a networking site, you can share information about studies and work easily, rather than to just rely on email, and at the same time get others to chip in ideas.

Some use it to gossip, but some use it for much more beneficial uses.

I remember back in 2006 when the evil Burma Junta murdered about 10 unarmed Burmese monks in public and in broad dayligh, it was information from FB and not MSM that spread that atrocity of information to the world.

Once that dedicated page was set up, within days there were 9 million people who joined that site, from all walks of life, including even Nobel Prize winners who pledged support for the Burmese people for freedom. And eventually it lead to actions by various heads of state to presure the Burmese junta.

This is but only one example of the many other thousand good that FB had done. TPTB fears and hate such as these, for they no longer can hide their more nefarious and unconstitutional activities to harm mankind.

With FB gone, and hopefully more sites destroyed, TPTB will once again seize back control and mankind enslaved. Even some had already attempted to smear ATS, as you would already probably know. This is no paronoia, but an actual fact and fight.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

I don't mean to be facetious, but can you explain how people, or FB profiles, actually led to action? I don't understand how people clicking on FB 'causes' could ever cause anything. They may have been correlated chronologically but seriously, I don't think FB changed anything in any way.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

Do you see me responding to you? I did. I could have just simply ignored you.But I didn't. I replied to you.

This is only a simple example that you are seeking from me. Awareness, and response/action.

But as you have no 'causes' for me to respond in your post to me, there is no action from me or anyone required to act upon. Thus you will not personally see nor understand the effect of simply reaching out.

Hope it helps. I've tried to make it as simple as possible for you to comprehend already.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Its not just about your details ,They can watch your chat, find out how you tick, if you are a clever person eyes open,Christian,satan worship,new age,baptist,football fan,or things to bribe you with like married but like men screw you over to serve them while working for someone else flashforward, or you like women and put it about tell your wife,or you hate people in power naturally, or like people in power, or you are slightly kinky,perverted,hobbies ,or were to find you at regular clubs.
You name it they can use it for nefarious purpose, they can find ways to manipulate you ,like watching people in cold war at certain employments they want to infiltrate or groups,churches, It then easy to force you to spy,grass,tattletale ,its like a super profiler, info gained from what you reveal later down the line in normal conversation with friends like,do you drink alot ,do some drugs,your back problem,what meds your taken ,anything you tell a friend private or not they can access it now if things turn bad like they did with hitler they can quickly skim the ones they want from the pond,
thats the way i see it n,not the fact they know stuff they all ready know from birth certificates and driving license ,social security, even your preferences on food as you tell people you have had for dinner were you eat out.
part 1.

[edit on 5/14/2010 by dashar]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
proud non FB member here.....

People are losing their ability to socialize. A family member has an on-going tiff with another and whenever they bring it up...it sounds like its just getting worse. I always say call her up TALK it out - remember what that was like? still, they use it as their communication tool. While I agree that it is much more conveniant to keep in contact with friends who are not at arms length or out of country, I do believe its things like FB that will lead to our social demise. What happens say a major catastophe takes away our precious computers, cell phone, I-Pads etc... I'm going to have a good laugh when I see people approach one another as if they forgot how to speak to a person. "Poking one another, So and So likes this...."

With all that being said, the same could be said about ATS or any other social medium. So I'm not completely innocent. I still think the local bar is the best form of socializing. Spill some with yer friends people. peace.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
"allegedly"

This is an exact transcript from the horses mouth itself.

Mark Zuckerberg talking with another user about facebook back in his college years.

From
gawker.com... o-trusted-him-in-college

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask.
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb &*^%# (rymes with bucks) .

(Edited swear word by wiredamerican)

Brutal. Is this IM exchange taken out of context? You bet. Could Mark have been completely joking? Sure. But the exchange does suggest that Facebook's aggressive attitude toward privacy began early on.

I have just deleted my FB account. I figured why not. Everybodys doing it.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Here's some more on this...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

As controversy swells around Facebook's latest changes to its privacy policy--which is now longer than the Constitution and offers some 50 settings and over 170 options--users' interest in deleting their Facebook accounts has soared. A group of dissatisfied Facebook users have teamed up in an effort to organize a mass, coordinated exodus from Facebook--and they're using social networks to do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join