It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Kill Your Facebook Page" Backlash Gains Speed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Calls for people to delete their Facebook accounts are gathering momentum. Critics cite privacy concerns and plummeting trust in the company and its leader, Mark Zuckerberg.

In IT Blogwatch, bloggers fight for the right to privacy and portability. Your humble blogwatcher selected these bloggy morsels for your enjoyment. Not to mention demonic 'peareidolia'... Jason Calacanis has an excoriating poker metaphor : Over the past month, Mark Zuckerberg, the hottest new card player in town, has overplayed his hand. Facebook is officially ... uncool, amongst partners, parents and pundits. ... Zuckerberg and his company are–simply put–not trustworthy. [He is] an amoral, Asperger’s-like entrepreneur ... clearly the worst thing that’s happened to our industry since, well, spam.The entire industry went from rooting for Zuckerberg to hating him ... in under 18 months. Peter Rojas and Matt Cutts have turned off their Facebook pages, and more intelligent people everywhere are talking about doing so....

www.pcworld.com...

What do you guys think about this? It makes sense.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have no worries about it...
Never had a facebook page! ^^

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeinthematrix
I have no worries about it...
Never had a facebook page! ^^

Same here, but if the government target you they may make a page on you, and put up lies about you and perve into your life.

Facebook and things like it are just for the government scum.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by drkid
What do you guys think about this? It makes sense.

No place on the web is particularly notable for privacy so deleting your page because some changes were made to the site recently seems ill-thought. But, since so many people do stupid things such as publish their phone numbers, addresses, places of employment, etc., deleting their pages is likely in their best interest.

Facebook is great at least for helping me avoid high school reunions. It reminds me of all the reasons I disliked certain people in high school without having a face to face encounter with them. Plus it reveals the shallowness of some people who, for example, update that their using the restroom or how cool they feel being at the Hootie & the Blowfish reunion concert.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well done!!

Destroy facebook!!

Destroy Connectivity!!!

Isolate the masses. Control is back. Hook, line and sinker.

Sigh...do humans ever use their brains to pause and think anymore?.....too late i guess, damage is already done, and such waves will only continue until the internet is no longer recognisable.

Enjoy thy chains.....

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Look what i also just found!

www.businessinsider.com...

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his company are suddenly facing a big new round of scrutiny and criticism about their cavalier attitude toward user privacy. An early instant messenger exchange Mark had with a college friend won't help put these concerns to rest. According to SAI sources, the following exchange is between a 19-year-old Mark Zuckerberg and a friend shortly after Mark launched The Facebook in his dorm room: Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard Zuck: Just ask. Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS [Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one? Zuck: People just submitted it. Zuck: I don't know why. Zuck: They "trust me" Zuck: Dumb #s.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Maybe I'm just being naive. Dunno. But I have had a Facebook for about 8 months and I have never had a single issue. I see all these new threads popping up about Facebook and issues or whatever. I really don't understand to be honest. If you go to Myspace now, it has a very dead like feeling. Meanwhile Facebook continues to grow. I see constant updates from friends on Myspace saying they're deleting their accounts and going to Facebook. So I seriously don't see Facebook having a problem right now. I could be wrong.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Well done!!

Destroy facebook!!

Destroy Connectivity!!!

Isolate the masses. Control is back. Hook, line and sinker.

Sigh...do humans ever use their brains to pause and think anymore?.....too late i guess, damage is already done, and such waves will only continue until the internet is no longer recognisable.

Enjoy thy chains.....

Dude, you know how I know people don't think no more? Always one person on here points to a person on here to say is this fake? I can't say that person's name cause it is probably against TOS violation. But it is sad that people can't think for their own.

Yup, it is all about control and they hope the CIA and FBI watching social network sites will cease the Obama bashing. God this country has gone down hill and we are at the lowest point.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I use facebook, I have friends across the world and it makes it very easy to keep in contact, plus if I get a new album or stumble upon a news link that might interest them I can just pop it on there.

My account privacy is about as maxxed as it can get, so I don't allow "outside civilians" to see it, I don't post pictures of myself or post personal details... it's just a glorified email account for me.

ALSO - I'm very cautious about not talking about anything controversial on there, so if government wants to mooch through my facebook - I'm not happy, but I'm not worried. Let's face it, if people are stupid enough to post very personal things on facebook, they're probably stupid enough to do it elsewhere.

Edit to add:

I'm much more inclined to get people to consider using a different Operating System than Windows - something Linux based, free and more ethical.

www.ubuntu.com...

[edit on 14/5/1010 by jokei]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I admit to being a Facebook *Snip*

The most intimate piece of info they have is my birthdate. I can remember most of my friends birthdates, and thise that I needed to know at the time I can still remember.
It isn't a hard thing to find.

What irks me is the people that put and attach everything to facebook, publicize everything they are doing on a tri-hourly basis and plaster pictures of everyone and everything they see.

Fine to delete your page, but your info has been put out there once. Thats all it takes. That info is out there somewhere forever.

I think people need to be careful with their privacy, and what they place available to the WORLD WIDE Web. As the name suggests, it's everywhere (and in the world of speeding data) at once.

I'm not paranoid enough to think everything I type somewhere is being watched and analysed right now, but I am more than aware of the fact that this could be done in the future.

MM

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/15/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
one thing I forgot to mention I hate about facebook is everybody knows who you are and view points if you talk in discussions. I try not to debate using my public name because if you piss somebody off that they know you and you don't know them. I only do my true debates in anonymous mode.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Can someone explain to me what everyone is worried about?

I just don't get it...what is the evil plot?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Anyone who puts any information on the web is asking for it to be used, abused, sold, bought or just passed about.

I live by the rule that I never put anything on Facebook, any page or in an e-mail on the web that I would not tell a complete stranger in the street that way I don't have to worry about my info.

Yes having facebook or the like allows companies to profit from the little deatils I do put on line or target me with specific ads but I feel I am getting far more out the the deal.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The thing people also need to realise is that Facebook is merely a(nother) tool for people to get information about you. Usually now one of the first, because it is so easy to get.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Wow....paranoia at its best.

Facebook....yes oh so evil. How is it so evil that you should delete it now and run for the hills?

Well here, lets look:

Facebook asks you for your real name...OH MY GOD...the government is going to get your real name off facebook....wait...don't they already have it by way of birth cirtificate, social security, taxes, drivers license, etc....soooo I guess facebook isn't that bad.

Facebook asks you for your date of birth...OH NO...the government is going to be able to see when I was born and how old I am....wait, wait, wait....I think if you refer to the above, they already know this....sooo I guess facebook is again, ok.

Facebook asks you for an email address....HOLY CRAP....the government will now have an email address to find out what it is your reading and seeing and who your talking too....hang on, when you sign up for internet access or have an IP address, aren't you already putting yourself in a situation where you and ALL your internet activity can be seen, tracked, recorded, etc....yes you are...so again, facebook isn't the issue.

Facebook asks you where you are located....OHHHH BOY....the government can now find you, I mean your telling them where you live, or even giving a regional area making it easier for them to find you....but hey, don't they already know from your taxes, financial obligations, drivers license, etc.....wow, again facebook is in the clear.

Facebook then finally asks you to upload pics, fill out your profile, update your status, post on walls, pick groups, music, movies and tv shows you like...oh and asks you for your favorite quotes....ALL OF THIS INFORMATION IS UP TO YOU TO ADD, NOT MANDATORY.....so tell me...is facebook worth worrying about? If you think so...you need help with logic.

If you think "killing your facebook" in ANYWAY keeps you off the grid or helps deter TPTB from finding you, tracking you, blah blah blah.....you need to come back to REALITY and realize this is all BS paranoia....

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

Lol - I agree, to that post!

The only screw up I've had on FB is answering a personal message not realizing I wasn't the only it was sent to (thus replied to both, thinking it was only one) about one of them! Whoops. Covered though, no family wars were started.

Seriously, FB is a data mining site, we know this - but I have yet to be convinced it is better/worse than any of the Credit Bureaus.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

I agree; also, with your points. I do have a facebook page, but I don't post on there when I'm "taking a dump" or when I'm out of town, or anything like that. I don't have my phone number on there, and I post a few family pics on there.

It's mostly for marketing (I'm a Real Estate Agent) plus keeping up with family and friends all over the country.

I do see the stupid posts that people announce when they go on vacation, and "post from the beach" and whatnot. I don't post anything until I'm back home. That's just inviting robberies and such. I also don't post my whole address on there, but it's still in public records if someone really wanted to know.

To me, facebook isn't all that evil, if you are a smart internet user. For the stupid people that post what they had for breakfast and where; well, that's their problem.

Anything in moderation is okay, usually.

A_L

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Timely thread though, I just read these articles last night. Adding these links, for those who are interested...

CNN - quitting FB over privacy concerns

Gizmodo - reasons you should quit FB

And apparently, FB is pretty sneaky about providing the information you need to actually delete your account - not to be confused with deactivating your account. So for future reference:

Wikihow - permanently delete FB account

[edit on 14-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
"Peter Rojas and Matt Cutts have turned off their Facebook pages, and more intelligent people everywhere are talking about doing so.... "

More intelligent people? That line reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes, where only the most intelligent people were supposed to be able to see the invisible threads. What a load...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Look at Facebook as the biggest big brother website, infact look at the entire internet as a big brother system. A while back Glenn Beck was talking about a website where it hijacked all our internet history upon opening. If some hacker did this, then I'm sure a company with as much funding as Facebook can afford this type of technology too. There are many people out there who do post anti-government posts on facebook, and have anti-government discussions on the website. I believe facebook is a trap for those who rightfully exercise their first amendment rights online. How many under aged kids post regretful pictures on the internet? under aged drinking, doing illegal drugs, sexual acts at clubs... all these pictures are being forever kept by Facebook and their affiliates. Facebook has built servers to enslave our generation from credibility in the near future.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join