It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Sends Bomb Inventor, Mars Expert to Fix BP Oil Spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Dispatched to Houston by President Barack Obama to deal with the crisis, Chu said Wednesday that five “extraordinarily intelligent” scientists from around the country will help BP and industry experts think of back-up plans to cut off oil from the well, leaking 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) below sea-level.

Members of the Chu team are credited with accomplishments including designing the first hydrogen bomb, inventing techniques for mining on Mars and finding a way to precisely position biomedical needles.

Obama Sends Bomb Inventor, Mars Expert to Fix BP Oil Spill

WHAT TOOK SO LONG! I can't believe this is just now taking place. This should have been done within the hour of the pipe burst! Guess now it is big enough of a disaster to get some legislation enacted, so better fix it up now.

Their exact activities are cloaked in secrecy. “We saw some confidential and proprietary information,” said one scientist on the team, Jonathan I. Katz, a physics professor at Washington University in St. Louis.

Uhh, Ok wonder what that would be??? Any ideas?

The team is rounded out by Tom Hunter from Sandia Laboratories, which conducts research for the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration. Hunter has been with Sandia since 1967, and served as president of Sandia Corporation, which manages the lab, since 2005.

If they nuke the hole, Obama owes me $5 bc I called this 11 days ago.

Nuke the oil leak?... It worked for the Soviets!

-E-

[edit on 14-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
adding radiation would be a terrible ...terrrible..... idea

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeres

We test underwater nukes all the time. If we had done this from the beginning then there would be the same radiation as one of the many tests we have done, and hundreds of thousands less gallons of oil in the gulf

-E-

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
that does not mean that it's the right thing to do....testing nukes underwater or anywhere.. by any means... is not smart

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I don't have a Billion bucks, but here ya go. My .02¢

Nuke the oil leak?... It worked for the Soviets!

Sorry, I can't agree:

#1: Soviet usage was above ground, desolate location.
#2: Radiation. (Humans, Ecosystems.)
#3: Potential Tidal wave to Gulf States, Mexico, Bahamas and Cuba etc.
#4: No guarantee it would stop flow at that depth.

I am pleased the Government will intervene as I was about to lose hope.

I live/work in Fla and have many Tourism clients BTW. This affects me

Thanks for the thread.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

[edit on 14-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Its amazing how slow the USA Gov is when REAL action is needed. But when it comes to invading countries worldwide, its a "Zip Zap".

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Okay, think about it.... they go from a 100ton containment 'dome' to a 1000pound 'tophat' dome, to cutting the pipe, to stuffing garbage into the leak....

Then a nuke?!

What is wrong here? I say this b/c all along I have been pounding the table wondering: "Is it a chasm spewing oil/gas like a volcano?"

I wonder if even the video we have seen is real. no way they would nuke a leaking pipe. only nuke if it is chasm.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It doesn't have to be an enormous nuke, they use nukes in mining. Just a small enough nuke to dislodge enough material to clog this spill. How about a bunch of dynomite. Just some kind of explosion to dislodge material.

-E-

What they would do is place an explosive device in a hole AWAY from the hole and hope it moves enough earth to stop it

[edit on 14-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Then the moment a nike is used all SHTF and Obama is slated yet again then the world thinks whats good for the goose is good for the gander?
I think they know this and thats why the catastrophe has been allowed to get worse. Just wait and see what happens if a nuke is used?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Good job, "O" seems to care, interesting.
2nd

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Of course, a bomb expert to repair an oil leak.

what else can you expect from a comunity organizer that became president and appointed politicians to run car companies and insurance agents to draft a health laws. and militant angry hippies to draft energy laws.

Does he not have any oil leak experts at his beck and call? WldWell? Red Adair? Boots and Coots?

No THAT would make too much sense.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I can see this development two ways. Either this is just Obama moving slowly [Again] or the situation is so bad they have no choice but to act.
Either way This mess just turns my stomach.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I don't think a nuke has ever been set off 5000 feet deep in the water either. Couldnt the pressure of gravity that deep have some strange effects on a nuke being set off? Much less the earthquake and potential tsunami, there is also radiation or possibly making the leak even worse

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
How about a bunch of dynomite. Just some kind of explosion to dislodge material.

Now you're talking.

Someone else posted a diagram whereby they proposed two holes were drilled on either side and detonated simultaneously. I always felt that was viable. Perhaps I can did it up, but there are numerous concurrent threads.

I had sent a suggestion to create a Gulf Oil Spill Forum as was done with Swine Flu. But it was ignored.

I do think it is about time the Gov stepped in. I had likened it to a Lifeguard sitting in his tower watching a drowning man try to save himself.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

I know the soviets have successfully done this in toe past on more then one occasion. But I agree, we can use some less toxic explosive to try and accomplish the same thing.

I aslo want to make it clear the article in the OP is not suggesting a nuke to stop the leak, it was just talking about Obama finally doing something to try and stop the leak. I think the explosive idea would work

-E-

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I do not think this is a mere leak, it could be, what some people call it "an oil and gas volcano". Oil leeks are nothing unusual, sadly, but this really seems to worry them.

Of course, the potential for disaster is great, especially if one takes in consideration that the spewing of enormous quantities of oil and methane takes place in the gulf but...there is something here that stinks.

It could be it is really massive, and we are not being told the scale of the eruption (and most of it is not visible due do supressants they use). I get the feeling they do not know how to stop it and are trying anything they can think of. This is definitely not a good sign.

I do not believe this could be an ELE, though.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
We are about to see history in the making folks..i proudly introduce the world's first oil contaminated radio-active hurricane...cant wait really i cant

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
We are about to see history in the making folks..i proudly introduce the world's first oil contaminated radio-active hurricane...cant wait really i cant

Not sure if that is sarcasm, sense of humor failure or simply immaturity.

But I live in Florida and the LAST thing I want is a hurricane, much less a radioactive one.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This is what I might be concerned about

[edit on 14-5-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Originally posted by alchemist2012

Not sure if that is sarcasm, sense of humor failure or simply immaturity.

But I live in Florida and the LAST thing I want is a hurricane, much less a radioactive one.
Alot of sarcasm i live in New Orleans so we share a common worry

top topics

<<   2 >>

join