It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Church" is NOT Christianity!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
All of the disciples, and the vast majority of all believers in Jesus for the first few years were Jews. They were simply another sect of Judaism, like the Essenes at Qumran and the Zealots at Masada. "Christianity" occurred once the Gentiles outnumbered the Jews, bringing their other religious beliefs in the process of changing a Jewish religion into a Gentile religion. That is why Christianity is so different from what Jesus taught.

When "Christianity" came along, it combined all kinds of other religions into the "Church." Easter replaced Shavuot, even though Easter was a ceremony to the goddess of fertility Ishtar. They roasted boars (Easter ham), sacrificed the most prolific reproducing animals (Easter rabbits), and her symbol was the Egg (hide the Easter eggs anyone?).

Christianity has more to do with Paul than Jesus!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

That is why Christianity is so different from what Jesus taught.

No, it really isn't.

When "Christianity" came along, it combined all kinds of other religions into the "Church."

Oh? I think I must've missed the Zeus worship last time I was at church.

Easter replaced Shavuot, even though Easter was a ceremony to the goddess of fertility Ishtar.

Easter didn't replace Shavuot. Eater didn't replace anything.

Shavuot is the Hebrew word for Pentecost Pentecost is actually next Sunday. If you remember, Easter was at the beginning of April, roughly the same time Passover is. So, Easter takes place during the Passover season. Easter commemorates Christ's resurrection, which is actually First Fruits on the Hebrew calender.

[quote[They roasted boars (Easter ham), sacrificed the most prolific reproducing animals (Easter rabbits), and her symbol was the Egg (hide the Easter eggs anyone?).
These are all cultural things; minus the sacrificing of rabbits. Just because culture does it doesn't mean it's a Christian thing. My family, for example, didn't eat an Easter ham. From what I've gathered, ham isn't a traditional thing to do in Germany.

Regardless of the derivation of Easter, it's ridiculous to say that Christians celebrating Easter because of the goddess Isthar. Easter is rooted in the Passover no matter how you want to cut it and it doesn't celebrate life.

Christianity has more to do with Paul than Jesus!

Not really. Without Christ, there would be no Christianity.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

No, it really isn't.

Oh yeah... I remember Jesus teaching us Pastors can rent boy hookers and take them out of the country. I remember Jesus teaching us we should give our money to people like that, so they can live the high life on our backs, while we get a lick, a promise, and a 40 grit condom shoved up our- noses.

When "Christianity" came along, it combined all kinds of other religions into the "Church."

Nope- you were right there with it. Or do you think those pics of Pasty White Jesus are of a real at least historical (Jewish) person? You're worshiping a fake, yo.

But I think you know this, and want to be obtuse, so- we'll go on.

Easter replaced Shavuot, even though Easter was a ceremony to the goddess of fertility Ishtar.

Right. Everyone and their mother knows Easter, Christmas, ect are ALL Pagan holidays, 'Churched up' to bring in the heathen suckers.

Wanna try again?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
reply to post by octotom

No, it really isn't.

Oh yeah... I remember Jesus teaching us Pastors can rent boy hookers and take them out of the country. I remember Jesus teaching us we should give our money to people like that, so they can live the high life on our backs, while we get a lick, a promise, and a 40 grit condom shoved up our- noses.

Nope- you were right there with it. Or do you think those pics of Pasty White Jesus are of a real at least historical (Jewish) person? You're worshiping a fake, yo.

But I think you know this, and want to be obtuse, so- we'll go on.

Right. Everyone and their mother knows Easter, Christmas, ect are ALL Pagan holidays, 'Churched up' to bring in the heathen suckers.

Wanna try again?

Actually it's a well proven fact that a lot of the Christian holidays have Pagan counterparts that the early church used to entice the Pagan populations to join their church.. There really has never been much dispute on that fact.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08

Actually it's a well proven fact that a lot of the Christian holidays have Pagan counterparts that the early church used to entice the Pagan populations to join their church.. There really has never been much dispute on that fact.

Exactly.

Catholic means universal basically.

catholic (adj.)
mid-14c., "of the doctrines of the ancient Church," literally "universally accepted," from Fr. catholique, from L.L. catholicus "universal, general," from Gk. katholikos, from phrase kath' holou "on the whole, in general," from kata "about" + gen. of holos "whole" (see safe (adj.)). Applied to the Church in Rome c.1554, after the Reformation began. General sense of "of interest to all, universal" is from 1550s. As a noun, attested from 1560s.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I was definitely mistaken, as Shavuot was indeed replaced by Pentecost.

While that may seem a small thing, it is actually important.

Shavuot was the day Moses brought the tablets of the Law down from the mountain. Because of the sin of the people, the Law was broken, and 3,000 people died. However, on the "second" Shavuot, the Holy Spirit, the Ruach HaKodesh, was poured out, gringing grace instead of death, and when Peter preached, 3,000 souls were saved. Therefore, grace restored the same number of souls that had been lost when the Law brought death, by defining sin.

When that day is called Pentecost, there is no history. When it is called by the name the Lord God designated, it is a lesson in salvation.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Truth1000]

link   
There's very little about Christianity that is 'Christian'.

The cross for example, is actually a short-hand derivation of the cross of the zodiac - a notoriously ancient PAGAN symbol. Thankyou please.

Parallex.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Parallex]

link   

You are so right - the church is evil.

The church is not about God or Jesus, it is about getting rich.

Let us save Jesus in this world

Jesus is the small voice calling you.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

do you know the noise on wheel of fortune when you choose a letter that isn't on the board....
yer?
well re-read your post and then imagine that noise

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Jesus drank wine during religious observances.

Why do some many in the Christian churches teach to obstain from wine?

Jesus taght that the Scriptures were all important. The only Scriptures he and his disciples used was the "Old Testament." A great many Christian denominations teach that they are "New Testament Churches." Does that seem to make much sense?

Jesus spent more time railing against the pious "hypocrits" within the religious hierarchy than condemning the poor and openly sinful. Would He likely do the same today?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Um...you are aware that there are more Christians than that, right?

Remember, not everyone that says they're a Christian really is.

Not all churches put pictures of Jesus up around the church. In fact, I've never attended a church that has.

Not all Christians are Catholic or Orthodox. I am a Protestant. Even Catholics and Orthodox Christians don't worship the picture; it's just a picture.

I am aware that how we picture Jesus physically isn't the way that he looked. Everyone knows that. It just happens though that people tend to imagine figures to look like how they do. For example, Asians tend to imagine Jesus as being Asian looking.

Yes, Christmas was indeed a pagan holiday. No one denies that. The discussion wasn't about Christmas though, it was about Easter. To say though that what Christians celebrate at Easter time is from paganism is ludicrous. It definitely stems from a Hebrew holiday.

As for Christmas though, since you brought it up, yes it was Saturnalia. Early Christians just used the holiday to celebrate Christ's birth since it was a day that everyone else was celebrating something. I don't think you can really fault them for that.

[quote[Wanna try again?
Do you?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I was definitely mistaken, as Shavuot was indeed replaced by Easther.

No, you're still mistaken. Shavuot has nothing to do with Easter. Shavuot is Pentecost, fifty days after Easter.

And Easter didn't replace anything.

[edit on 5/14/2010 by octotom]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000

Jesus taght that the Scriptures were all important. The only Scriptures he and his disciples used was the "Old Testament." A great many Christian denominations teach that they are "New Testament Churches." Does that seem to make much sense?

Jesus spent more time railing against the pious "hypocrits" within the religious hierarchy than condemning the poor and openly sinful. Would He likely do the same today?

well I dont know of any "abstinence' from wine sermons....I dont drink because I dont really want to...be honest if I had to do anything I would smoke a joint..but I haven't had one of those in many many years now...

Jesus taught from the Torah because there was no new testament..he was living the new testament

Jesus spent more time railing against the pious "hypocrits"................thats why they wrote the new testament

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

The cross for example, is actually a short-hand derivation of the cross of the zdiac - a notoriously ancient PAGAN symbol. Thankyou please.

The cross hasn't always been the symbol of Christianity. It use to be the ichtys. Sometimes it was a labarum. When the cross first came to be the symbol, it wasn't even a Latin cross as we know it. It was a capital T cross, because that's what Christ was likely crucified on.

Eventually the Catholic church lowered the cross bar giving us the lower case t cross. That silly zodiac wheel theory for the cross holds no water.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
There's very little about Christianity that is 'Christian'.
The cross for example, is actually a short-hand derivation of the cross of the zodiac - a notoriously ancient PAGAN symbol. Thankyou please.
Parallex.
[edit on 14-5-2010 by Parallex]

Doesn't matter if the cross is pagan or not. Christ died on the cross for our sins.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Because they don't want to be a stumbling block to people who may be alcoholic.

You're aware that the New Testament wasn't written in Christ's day, right?

The Apostles seemed to be aware that their writings were special. Take a look at 2 Peter 3:15-16.

Yes, he would.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

Hmm, last I checked every single community of people have those who fall short of the community standard. Do you think all Muslims agree with the suicide bombers? Or whatever atrocities people in power period do?

People eff up, you can't hold millions of people accountable for the actions of the few morons.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

"The Church" is NOT Christianity!

How can you make a statement like this?

Jesus said to Peter,
Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Whos church?

Who was it that first preached among the Gentiles?

Acts 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
Christ through Peter established his Church- Catholic-UNIVERSAL!!!
Now do yourself a favor and define Christianity.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. "Christians" were first called by that name in Antioch.

19 Now those who were scattered because of the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to no one except Jews. 20 But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who on coming to Antioch spoke to the Hellenists also, preaching the Lord Jesus. 21 And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number who believed turned to the Lord. 22 The report of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. 23 When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose, 24 for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord. 25 So Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, 26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians.

Both Jewish and Gentile believers were called Christians and this Happened very soon after the church was born. In fact almost all of the letters from Paul refer to the struggle of having BOTH Jews and Gentiles in a church together because the Jews tended to want to combine Jewish tradition with Christianity.

You are spreading dis-info

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My point is this: "The Church" of their day was definitely the continuation of what Jesus taught. Nevertheless, there have been dramatic changes from "The Church" of their time leading to the "The Church of Modern Christianity" of our day. In doing so, new doctrines and teachings have deviated the instructions from God that were obeyed back then.

True believers are directed of the Lord, even in our day. However, that tends to happen in spite of the "Modern Church" rather than because of it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join