It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you view a Species such as Humans as Humans, Intelligent Monkeys or Just Monkeys??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

…I mentioned different peoples belief in a soal because thats what A LOT of people think is different between us and other animals. I diden't want this topic to revolve around a fight of "my god is bigger then your god" IMO it makes NO difference, one way or the other. I was looking at animal and human behaviour, and why and how each does what it does.

What constitutes a soul? Character? Intelligence? Ability to survive?

Awareness of being?

Consider the recent photographs – and video – of chimpanzee’s mourning the death of one of their own, or the cat that wouldn’t leave its dead friend. The cynical could say that those marvelous animals were merely curious as to why their companions weren’t moving. Then again, one could easily say that they were – in that brief moment – suddenly aware of death as a certainty in life.

It’s all supposition. I like to think that we share something profound with animals, and they with us.

And as to this quote to 911stinks:

If you don't want to participate in an intelligent discussion, take your comedy act to Vegas. Just don't quit your day job.

he might just be doing that as he’s now banned.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
We're an species of primate called Homo sapiens that belong to the great apes, other members of this family include Gorillas and Chimpanzees. Of all the primate species, we are the most devious, violent and destructive to not only ourselves, but our own planet. We're a defect, more like a parasitic organism that destroys it's host, except we don't have another host to move to after this one is gone.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
We're obviously evolved differently than monkeys...but yeah, we had common ancestors. So in summary, I see humanity as humanity, but accept that we are related to monkeys. They're a bit like that ugly cousin I have...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Oh please.

Before we can discuss this, we need to define our terms.

What do you mean by a 'human being'?

What do you mean by 'intelligent monkeys'?

What do you mean by 'just monkeys'?

Explain the difference between them and we'll be able to understand your question.

Until you do, you could easily be mistaken for a stupid creationist.

Are you a stupid creationist?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Hey, i would not jump into conclusions claiming that creationists are stupid! I guess there are enough creationists smarter than the average Joe. Hanging on a personal opinion whenever you do not have proof it is a form of religion on itself, by claiming that creationists are stupid you o the same they do when they talk about science.

So my question is for you - define intelligent and define stupid!

I guess on a cosmic scale, our intelligence is enough to classify us above the animals but yet insufficient to ensure the survival of the humans. We are bizarre monkeys with very distorted behavior , yet some of the members of the "group" managed to understand some elements on how the universe works. But we still have to work in order to ensure we will not self-destruct as i believe that our social behavior is still very primordial , getting us very close to monkeys.The next 100 years will be important - we will decide if we want to be an extinct curiosity on the evolutionary scale or we choose to become truly intelligent by re-designing ourselves and changing the patterns in our behavior .

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
In our lowest manifestation view us as killer apes. In our highest manifesestation we are wonderful spiritual beings.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian

Hey, i would not jump into conclusions claiming that creationists are stupid!

Some are, some aren't. Most likely many creationists do not have the knowledge of science to understand anything else but creationism. Science is difficult to understand, believing a claim in a book is easy. This isn't stupidity, but more likely ignorance.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

If the idea of soal bothers you, ignore it and it will go away. In trying to understand how the brain works, there are products of the brain that are not easily quantified. Yes I know one can expose the brain to certain magnetic fields and create what people call "mystical" experiences. The concept of a soal serves the same function for me as "0" in an equation, its a place holder. It leaves a place open for questions still unanswered. I'm not a zealot one way or the other. When involved in research if I don't see something I diden't expect, I tend to think I miised something.

By the way this is a discussion. It's not a contest where someone has to loose.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
So my question is for you - define intelligent and define stupid!

In the present context, I would define 'stupid' as squatting on the railway tracks, hearing the rails hum and the thunder of the oncoming engine, shutting one's eyes tight and saying 'Train? What train?'

I don't think controlling the evolution of one's own species is what most people think of first when someone says 'creationism'.

Anyway, we can't go any further until the OP supplies some definitions.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I don't know where,or when,you attended school.
I graduated from high school in 1973.I remember
that science and biology were required subjects.I
couldn't get my diploma without having passed these.

I am also a creationist and I'm not stupid,unless for
answering you.As I said earlier,my ancestors DID NOT
swing from trees or walk on their knuckles.Yours may
have,mine didn't!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

If the idea of soal bothers you, ignore it and it will go away. In trying to understand how the brain works, there are products of the brain that are not easily quantified.

Where did I say that the idea of a soul bothers me? I asked what constitutes it and made suggestions.

All I did was to illustrate that even in the minds of animals, there are – as you said – products that are not easily quantified. And as the subject of this thread is “Do you view a species such as humans, as humans?”, it is fair to compare animal behaviour to ours. That behaviour may look the same, but have completely different reasoning behind them. And as I said in explanation for my thought process:

It’s all supposition. I like to think that we share something profound with animals, and they with us.

And for the record, I don’t understand this statement of yours:

By the way this is a discussion. It's not a contest where someone has to loose.

Care to quantify a “reprimand” based on how you think I’ve replied to a question when I’ve already openly declared my opinion that the subject is all supposition?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
LOL..Evolution has been debunked, What a shame there are some who still preach it's tenants. It sort of reminds me of those redneck's down south who keep claiming the "SOTH IS GONNA RISE AGAIN".

Teaching Evolution is the spreading of Ignorance.

Evolution=Ignorance=foolishness

The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
As I said earlier,my ancestors DID NOT
swing from trees or walk on their knuckles.Yours may
have,mine didn't!

As I said before, here's a good example of what I was talking about. Firstly, I said creationists weren't necessarily stupid, then mamabeth insists "I'm not stupid!". Secondly, mamabeth reveals the incredible ignorance of science I spoke of in the post above. Way to enforce the creationist stereotype, mamabeth!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loken68
LOL..Evolution has been debunked, What a shame there are some who still preach it's tenants. It sort of reminds me of those redneck's down south who keep claiming the "SOTH IS GONNA RISE AGAIN".

Can you please cite any peer reviewed scientifically verified research that is indicative of evolution being false.

I only ask as I wouldn't want you to be making any seemingly empty and ignorant claims without evidence behind them.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loken68

Evolution has not been debunked, and in fact, is supported by many branches of science. You probably have benefitted in many ways from evolutionary theory without ever realizing it.

I'll have to assume from your above post that you believe the theory of evolution poses a threat to your belief in god. (Hint: it doesn't). If I were you I'd start learning about science, stop making ignorant statement like you did above, and maybe drop some of that anti-southern bigotry you've revealed.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
As a very rare and precious opportunity for the spirit to make spiritual progress. Yes, the body is a cover and there are many layers associated. No it is not a monkey or monkey variation. The human is endowed with the potential for a full range of activity from the lowest to the highest. No other form provides this opportunity. The push today is to subjugate and prevent the spirit from working it's way out of quarantine and return home. The owner of the quarantine facility doesn't want you to leave and lives off spirit energy. It we all leave, it effectively ceases to exist.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I, am a monkey.
However, you humans needs to stay off our turf, thank you.

You lot are most definitely apes, rather embarrassingly naked apes, but apes nonetheless.

Despite your best pretenses to the otherwise, you are a lot like us, though. You murder, rape, steal... mourn, love, and laugh much like we do.

I'd say give yourselves a break, but we told y'all to never leave the jungle.
it's a scary universe out there, better to keep your head down.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
we are humans, quite obviously, i still don't know whether i believe the whole evolution from monkeys, i believe we do evolve, monkeys? maybe, maybe not.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
What is human?

A challenging idea to pin down.
In fact i can only give a kind of fuzzy, quasi, queasy definition.

Technically it is a population of organic biology organisms with [at least general theoretical] interactive [bi-]sexual reproduction capacities. Probably with a quite close similarity to some genetic form as per some statistical average. 'excess' multiple copies of that same [general] pattern are still [considered] human, as per Down's syndrome, diploidy, triploidy.

Generally inherent in all those very similar genetic patterns is a very strong preponderance for the organs & anatomy we are familiar.

Behaviorally, & i think this matters very much, i think we have strong biases & behavioral preferences which in a large part come from the same genetic source. Sometimes, ignorant, more primitive forms of science want to deny that these behavior biases exist, but i think observant people & scientists are taking note & some are studying them.

I would also add to that a strong bias for socially 'acceptable' behavior.
I would guess that may be more flexible than many would be shocked to find out.
But it operates on a reflexive basis, an energy resource minimized basis, and can have disastrous results. We craft impossible image standards & neglect the mass gravitas of what various humans do, & don't do & the real & consequential effects thereby.

Our propensity to be visual, surface viewers rather than embedded mass/gravitas/structure contemplators can & very likely may extinguish ourselves.

Most religions are based on beautiful imagery, instead of thinking what would it feel like, especially for duration & what would it be like to live in some of these so-called 'heavens'?

Use your eyes & vision, but go with your gut.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Naked Great Apes obviously.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b17ea8ef255e.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join