It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirates 'have all died,' Russia says, after decrying 'imperfections' in international law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Pirates 'have all died,' Russia says, after decrying 'imperfections' in international law

www.cleveland.com

MOSCOW, Russia — Following high level complaints about "imperfections" in international law, Russia announced Tuesday that captured Somali pirates "have all died." A Russian official claimed that 10 pirates seized by Russian special forces aboard an oil tanker last week were quickly freed but then died on their way back to the Somali coast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The unidentified high-ranking Defense Ministry official did not elaborate on how the pirates died, deepening a mystery that has prompted speculation the pirates were executed by commandos who had freed a Russian oil tanker seized in waters 500 miles (800 kilometers) east of Somalia's coast.

Officials initially said they would be taken to Russia for trial, but the Defense Ministry said Friday they'd been released because of "imperfections" in international law. The statement was met with skepticism, especially in light of a comment made by the Russian president.

"We'll have to do what our forefathers did when they met the pirates", Dmitry Medvedev said on the day the ship was stormed.

I haven't been much of a fan of Russia or their policies. But I like their stance on piracy. They are not in favor of wasting their tax payer dollars to treat these individuals as citizens as the "international" law requires for a Nation that captures pirates do.

It might not be pretty to some, but the reason piracy thrives is because of no real action. What does granting freedoms to face persecution do? You get a free meal and do hard labor at most. When faced with certain demise, the pirates might want to look elsewhere...maybe by fighting the same rebels who are holding its own country hostage.

www.cleveland.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Oh well.

Gotta love the Russian pragmatic approach to solving difficult problems.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

We'll have to do what our forefathers did when they met the pirates" until the international community comes up with a legal way of prosecuting them

My suspicions were correct then when I first heard of this news and I wonder how many other nations will follow this example as an acceptable way to deal with the pirates.

Until laws can come into place that can enable effective prosecutions of these pirates in a court of law it is now acceptable to murder? Good plan (not) now I wonder how long it will be until we start getting reports of crews being murdered out of spite by pirates who were kin to the murdered.

I can see a spiral here and it falls away into an abyss.

So, it seems that the word "civilization" and our association with it was only ever an empty word to help to keep the masses .s down and hard at work... welcome to the suck!

/me goosesteps out of the thread!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
They did the same thing to the terrorists that bombed the subway.

They killed them in an attempt to arrest them.

Got to admit, they sure save a lot on public attorneys and appeals and jails.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Gotta hand it to them, they handle their business. I just can hear Putin, "I don't like problems"

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Smoke,
The Russians have a pragmatic take on crimes against them and often teach by example. This will help the pirates learn that attacking ships whose names are painted in the Cyrillic alphabet is especually dangerous.

The boat the pirates were cast adrift on was probably unseaworthy. Silly pirates, sailing their boat into automatic cannon fire so far from shore. As to repercussions, if the pirates murder crews then that will cause future crews to be armed to fight for their lives, making piracy more difficult. This is about money, not murders. Killing crews would also remove the hostage protection that the pirates now have from shock troops assaulting the stronghold or the prize ship.

One convenient solution is to allow the firefights to continue until there is no one left to shoot back or make the first shots with serious naval guns. I'd bet our Russian friends have thought of these, too.

Life is harsh for pirates and cattle rustlers.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hello there. Please contribute to the ongoing discussion found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. Thread closed.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
To be honest I cannot understand why the international communitiy has not been more proactive in reducing piracy. They know where the pirates are from, and they know where the most lucrative heists are to be made, why then they have not found and destroyed the pirates infrastructure I cannot understand.

new topics

top topics

join