It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music Meditation.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Meditation through listening to music. I find this to be a very interesting topic that has recently been becoming a bigger and bigger part of my life. I find that when I listen to music, my mindset changes. I have always noticed this; it's just lately music has become a much bigger part of my life.

A couple days ago, I was jamming out to some seriously deep roots reggae, in bed, with my eyes closed. I did this for about 30 minutes. Following this musical journey, I fell into a very nice slumber. I dreamt of amazing things, and two hours later I woke up and felt like I had just slept a full 8 hours. I really do attribute the music to this great nap.

I am a big fan of reggae. I'm not talking the mainstream wanna be reggae, I am talking island style, roots reggae music. With true reggae, you can feel the heart and soul that the members of the band put into their music. It can definitely put you in a certain vibe that gets your head bobbing slowly to the rhytm. I have found that this type of music puts me in a very tranquil mood, and even though I don't do drugs, it makes me feel a natural "irie" state of mind.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced music meditation before?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
There are some songs that if I go without listening to them for too long, I start jonesing for that song. I will usually be singing it until I get the chance to listen to it again. Like I was saying earlier, certain songs and types of music can put my mind in a very good place.

So yeah, anyone else really appreciate music for what it can do for your mind and soul?

edited for spelling.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I have meditated often using music.

Artists Like: Liquid Mind, Deuter, David and Steve Gordon

I have a Pandora.com internet radio account and bookmarked several new age stations. Use headphones, sit back and go........

Sometimes it's great - sometimes it's distracting. There are times when meditating that the music of silence inside is the most beautiful I have ever heard. Other times I like to use music as a vehicle.

Depends on the wind I guess.......

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Emptiness Dancing

Funny you mention Pandora. I have found many amazing artists using that service. There are some really good trance artists out there that take you on major musical voyages.

Music in general is quite an amazing feat of mankind.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The band TOOL take me to places no other band can,
with their music and lyrics...... lights off, headphones on
and im outta here

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I love meditating to music, especially calming music. My favorite is Ashana.

My favorite CD of hers is called all is forgiven. From her website:

On All Is Forgiven, the resonant, pure-tone frequencies of pure quartz and alchemical crystal singing bowls are uniquely combined with vocal sound, toning, and the singing of mantra, chant and song. This exquisite alchemy creates luminous healing music that is profoundly peaceful and soothing, and can gently lead you back to your center so that you may reconnect with your Divine higher self.

If you have never heard of Crystal singing bowls they are truly amazing. They are super expensive, over $400 for each bowl. So listening to her CD is the cheapest way to listen to crystal singing bowls.

A little more info on Crystal bowls

The haunting, penetrating drones of crystal singing bowls are an integral part of my music and devotional practices. With their resonant, pure-tone frequencies, and the innate properties of crystal, to amplify, transmit and store energy, these exquisite instruments are powerful tools which can be used to enhance meditation and prayer and to support healing. When combined with mantra and prayerful intention, crystal singing bowls can help entrain mind, body and spirit to a more harmonious experience of peace, well-being and balance.

Ashana is awesome and i highly recommend her.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hic sunt dracones
The band TOOL take me to places no other band can,
with their music and lyrics...... lights off, headphones on
and im outta here

Agreed, Their stuff is epic, I'm not outa there though, I'm right IN when I listen to them.
I've heard baroque is the best music to listen to for RV, I suppose it would be equally good for meditation.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Try going to sleep whilst listening to Gregorian chant, thats a weird
experience to say the least !

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

My Ipod (legally :-p) has one section specifically for chill out music. This section has songs such as Human by Huma League and While My Guitar Gently Weeps by the Beatles.

I do not wanna derail this so I will keep this relatively on topic.

Last not I was tense (I have generalized anxiety disorder or as I call it the constant willies :-p )

silliness aside...last night I drew a SUPER hot bath with epsom salts, put my Sirius radio to 73 (The Spa) and read the Pit and the Pendulum by Poe...I feel like a new person

Yes that did have reading and a hot bath involved...but the experience was fabilous...

Musical meditation is amazing. For me the music gives me something to focus on to sort through the ole brain and spirit. It is getting awfully dusty up there...

Nice topic OP

Peace

-Kyo

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
As a musician myself, I find that sometimes I get too drawn aside by the technicalities that my trained ear is sometimes forced to notice, but when I play my own music I let go, sometimes, and I think it might be some sort of meditation on its own.

Especially with heavy music, such as hip-hop and reggae. The beats for some hip-hop songs, I feel, are so poorly cut that it hurts to listen to (not really, but I just don't like them), but then, there are some hip-hop songs that are so beautifully done that I don't care about the cut at all, when I do notice it, it's a fleeting thing. Generally, I'm not a big fan of reggae, or hip-hop, but I do like to keep an open mind to all things, especially to music.

Myself, I listen to a genre of music called "Doom Metal", pioneered by the famous Black Sabbath, and has been built on by numerous bands which have slowed their tempo considerably. There is an off-shoot of this kind of music called "Drone" which, as the name implies, plays droning notes. The songs are long, usually about 15-20 minutes. It's hard to listen to when you're a beginner, but once you learn how to listen to it, it really is quite an experience...

I suggest, for those who are not weak of hear and short of attention, to listen to a song by a Finnish Drone/Doom band called "Wormphlegm", the song, in its entirety, is called "In An Excruciating Way Infested With Vermin and Violated By Executioners Who Practise Incendiarism
and Desanctifying The Pious" Quite a long name, for quite a long song. 30 minutes entirely, (maybe 32 actually but who's counting??) and after you're done listening to it, you might just feel like you've been to Hell and back.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I love what music has always done to me, really glad one of the first bands I really "got into" was Zeppelin. Some of the acoustic songs never get old for me.

I'd like to mention this band I saw live a few months ago

www.myspace.com...

Mostly instrumental with a very "African" feel, its hard to explain but they used a lot of different stringed instruments. One looked like just a stick with a string on it. I get a very tribal feeling listening to them.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Whenever I need something to spur my creativity as well as send me on a "journey", I put on Music From the Morning of the World.

It is Balinese music with syncopated chants and gamelan players. It loosesly follows the story of the Ramayana. I recommend it to anyone who likes that "primal mystic" vibe.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It is good sometimes.

However you have to be aware that any music with words in it to. Anty words in music should be screened first, as they make your mind follow the words, and create pictures, feelings, thoughts, prompt memories, fantasies of the future.

This is not then meditation but just spacing out, relaxing into the imagination, memory etc. Nothing wrong with that but dont confuse the two. Of course like a Mantra type of meditation it can be good, if the words have an spiritual dimension or guidance that supports the individual listeners meditation goal.

Then again care must be taken that rather than going into Alpha or lucid Delta or Theta relaxation from the music, and the words contained dont just put us into a hynotic state, again very very diffearnt from true meditation as the lucidity, naked awareness or mindfulness is lost.

Also again there is danger of true states of meditation just with music no words. The mind is focused outside of itself, and on one of the sense doors. It is therefore like Subject Object meditation, which is good for concentration etc, but imho true meditation is mindfulness, and trying to understand the true nature, or experience that nature of the mind that lies beyond the senses, and beyond the thoughts and projections that will pop up when not fixed on subject object, or past and future, imaginations etc. True meditaion just imho lies in seeing the space between those thoughts, just experiencing the mind there.

Simple way I devised for my ignorant and unexperienced practise to get to start approaching that, just 10 mins a day every day condenses most of the teachings of Buddhist/Hindu/Shamanic treatises on this type of meditation is as follows.

Relax.

Now (be awake not in past or thinking should have done that, said that, what will do later, If I was this or that happened, I should be meditating like this, is this right etc etc)

Love (generate a loving feeling for oneself and all around you, but dont focus on it thats subject object)

When you then imagine something, remember the past, have a train of thoughts, fixate on a sound, smell etc, dont think I did that wrong, or go away, dont push them away, dont have expectations I should be silent and mindful, I should meditate like this, dont push away or pull in any thoughts /feelings/emotions that arise just stay alert, relaxed, loving let the thoughts go, over time they will come up less and less, and you will start to notice them arising and not identify attach to them. Then slowly eventually one day you will experience the Awake, non attached just observant experience of what lies in the spaces between our feelings, thoughts and such like. That then though will become a problem for a while as you will be looking for that again in every session, trying to generate it... just keep on as before and it will come again, let go and it will last longer.

You will know real progress is made when whilst being very awake and not tranced out or hypnotised you will rise from your session of what you thought was 10 mins but it may be 1 hour or such like.

Just my 2c.

Love to all

Elf.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Sweet, and thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I will definitely give a listen to all of them when I have the time.

Since it looks like people are recommending songs and bands, I will give a couple of my favorites in which I zone out to.

Anything from Bob Marley. haha. No really though. When I listen to his music, his emotion flows through me in powerful ways.
www.youtube.com...

Katchafire is an incredible band from New Zealand.
www.youtube.com...

Soldiers of Jah Army(SOJA) have some majorly profound messages in their songs: www.youtube.com...

Ooklah the Moc will take you sooo deep: www.youtube.com...

If you get a chance to listen to them, tell me what you think!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LususNaturae

I fall into something of a trance when playing piano myself, so it's interesting that you said when you play your own music you find a form of meditation to a degree.

There have been times when I was improvising and realized twenty minutes had passed and that I should stop the recording lol.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The great thing about music is that virtually every single person on earth enjoys it to some degree. It is one of those rare things that can affect and influence any type of person emotionally and intellectually. I generally find myself happier and clearer in thought after listening to music that I like.

I can relate to the feelings mentioned in the OP when I listen to music at times. It can sometimes lift your whole mood and fill you with positive energy and determination. In terms of meditation, I prefer to do it when there is quiet. Although I do have some audio tracks from a friend that feature rainfall and bell chimes, which build up gradually. These help me to relax and clear my mind.

[edit on 15/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Haha! That's happened to me! I suck at playing piano though. I am learning, however. I play guitar, harmonica, violin and piano. Although, I can only say to be good at the guitar... actually, I have a violin lesson in about half an hour. So I'm getting there!
I think it's so much like meditation because sometimes it can be painful to practice playing an instrument. I'm sure even you yourself can think of a time when you really didn't want to practice the piano but you knew that in order to better yourself you had to play sometimes that you didn't want to.
But once you get to that level, where you can improvise, to someone elses music, to your own music, or to simply a metronome, or to nothing at all, that you feel that you have actually accomplished something. I've been playing violin for about 8 months now. I feel much better than I did a few months ago now, but it was a horrid affair practicing the violin. The screeches and scrooches and bad intonation... honestly, I thought about giving up, that violin wasn't for me, but with persistent practice I trained my hands and my ears to recognize the notes which made me a better musician all around.

Good luck to you, friend.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
The great thing about music is that virtually every single person on earth enjoys it to some degree. It is one of those rare things that can affect and influence any type of person emotionally and intellectually.

So true. When I imagine good music playing, I can imagine just about everyone at least tapping their foot or nodding their head along with the music, of course unless they were paralyzed, but even then, I'm sure they are enjoying the music as much as the rest of us.

Even deaf people, it seems like they would get some type of effect if it was a live show and they had the bass speakers going full blast.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LususNaturae

Yes, I definitely think there is something that is analogous (mentally at least) to a mantra - if you will - inherent in the repetition and practice necessary to improve at an instrument. I think any repetitive behavior, especially one that provides an immediate feedback in the form of sound, has the potential to induce altered states of consciousness. At least that's been true in my experience.

I'm not a "real" musician like you are though, technically lol. I have a ton of respect for people who are actually willing to undertake formal musical training like yourself. I just play by ear (I have a mathematics learning disability which sadly extends to musical notation as well.) Still, I have to practice A LOT (all the more so since I don't understand the technicalities of the language of music,) and after a while it's like my brain waves become entrained by it and I just space out.

Good luck to you as well, and I'm sure you will find yourself proficient at all the instruments you pursue in what will in retrospect seem like no time at all if you stick with them.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Ah. I wouldn't worry about your 'disability'. That's what "They" like to call people who don't learn in the same way as they feel that everybody should. Your 'disability' may even, to be quite frank with you, make you all the better at playing and hearing music. You see, the technicalities involved in learning to read music can actually hinder a person from actually 'hearing' the music. Like in White Men Can't Jump, that one black guy says to the white guy, "You're listening to Jimi [Hendrix], but you ain't HEARING Jimi." Which can be true for some very proficient musicians, and also very poor musicians. Just because you're listening to a piece of music doesn't necessarily, I feel, mean that you're connecting with, understanding and feeling the music.
So to learn by ear is on its own quite impressive, and don't let anybody tell you that your disability ensures that you cannot become a real musician. For all I know, you already could be, from your experiences with grooving to the piano.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join