It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clearing up some misinformation about welfare and how to apply and exploit it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I see a lot of mis information about being on welfare here such as the fact that if you are on welfare you CAN NOT get more money if you have another child while on welfare. So lets clear some things up shall we?

I am not advocating people get on welfare, but I wanted to catch peoples attention. What I am giving here is the facts, the good the bad and the ugly from someone who has been there.

Its been 10 years now but I am going to do my best to remember.

Once upon a time I was young and dumb (O.k. so I was really really dumb)and fell for a smooth talking snake oil sales man. Even though he couldn't hold down a job for more than a few months at a time, I believed him when he promised me the world. we got married and had our first child. I was the main bread winner although it wasn't much but when I lost my job due to lack of daycare we decided to apply for aid.

The application processes.
When you fill out the application if you claim you are going to run out of food, clothing or electricity in the next 3 days, you application gets expedited other wise you have to wait for 30 days.
They list of information they want from you is a mile long and they basically let you know that you are selling you soul and giving up all your rights for this money. (like I said I was young and dumb) Here is the catch that illegals exploit, they tell you that if you believe that providing any of this information will put you in danger you are exempt from providing much of what they ask. This is to protect victims of domestic violence but highly exploited.
You have to give finger prints and retina scans.

The money. For a family of 3 it was about $490 a month and nearly that much in food stamps.
If you have anything of any value you MUST sell it before receiving the money. If you have a car of any value over $2000 Kelly Blue Book you must sell it before being awarded any money. They go out to the parking lot and check to see what you are driving. This is why I do not believe the stories of people driving Escalades
or any high priced vehicle.

While on aid they expect you to put in 20 for one person or 32 ours for a two parent home, a simple note form a Dr. or mental health profession saying it it is to stressful for you will get you out of it. How ever they do make you work for you assistance with constant appointments, and endless slew of "life bettering" classes that teach every thing but how to better your life, nutrition classes and parenting classes (Theses are actually pretty good, so I can attest to the fact that every person on welfare does know how to be a good parent and eat right, some just choose not to.) You also have to monthly reports. They are very strict on these reports and class attendance and they don't think twice about terminating you if you fail to comply even once.

During my time on welfare it was a constant struggle to get off and remain off many times I would temporally get off but then have to get back on a few months later.

When I got pregnant with my second child I was not expecting to get back on welfare but 3 weeks after I found out I was pregnant my Ex husband and I split up and I had to go back on. Since I was on welfare when he was born, I COULD NOT get more money for my second child. You must be off of welfare for a full 10 months prior to an additional child's birth before you can get more money for them if you apply after their birth. this law went into affect in 1997 under Clinton I believe.

Although I worked much of the time I was on welfare they really do punish you for working. A large chunk of what you make is taken out of your benefits plus a crap load of additional paper work that they make you fill out. If you are going to work while on welfare they require you work 32 hours, so if you don't get scheduled for that whole 32 hours, and finding a job that would give me that many hours was nearly impossible, you get penalized. Yup they take money of your check for working 31 1/2 hours instead of 32 so you come out with less money than if you had no job at all.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Wow that is far stricter that the UK, In the UK the more children you have before or after claiming the more you get.

Housing: most if not all of the rent is paid for you same with the local tax. You do pay a very small amount of both in most cases.

Now for benifts if you claim your children have say ADHD or they are Autisic (these are the 2 biggest favourites with claimants just now) you can get even more money.

A black sheep family memeber of mine is pulling in £1400 per month becuase she is a single parent with three kids all of which seem to have been diagnosed with something that I know for a fact she made up and coached them on what to say.

This amount is after all her rent is paid. She has told me that she delibitery abuses the system as she refuses to work or even think about getting a job when she is getting so much in her hand each month.

Now if your the dad in the situation and like hers they spilt up he gets about £160 per fornight in benifits as well as some of his rent paid.

If he ever woks which is very unlikey he will need to pay money to the goverment in some cases 90% of his income that they then pass onto his ex-partner after they have taken a substanial chunk.

So all in all in the UK if you can pop out 3 or 4 kids you never have to work again.

Here is a list of benifits you can easily get out of the UK social care system.

Free school meals
Free school clothing
Free bus/rail travel for your kids and a reduced rate for yourself.
Rent free accomidation
Tax free income (not counting tax on the goods,services you buy)

The UK is a major soft touch when it coems to benifits they hand out, now some of you will not have experianced this and had a hard time but thats mostly be because you try to follow the rules and had to move from being employed to un-employed.

I experianced the bad side of the system once when I tried to claim. They told me by being made redundant I had intentionally made my self homeless and unemployed so that meant I was not allowed to claim for 26 weeks. I appealed but found work a few weeks later when they got back to me and said I would be allowed to claim.

As sad and as hard it was for you OP I would love to see the UK be half as hard on the majority of the unemployed here as we are into 5th and 6th generation of scroungers who never will work.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Obama repealed Clinton Welfare Reform in the first stimulus bill.

Video that proves this is what Obama intended to do all along:

article.nationalreview.com...

Obama started increasing welfare spending immediately after assuming office. The stimulus bill included $220 billion in new means-tested spending, including a little-noticed provision that repealed one of the key welfare reforms of the Clinton era. The 1996 Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act capped welfare dollars to states, ending the perverse system that rewarded states for adding cases to their welfare rolls. The 2009 stimulus bill lifted the caps. Once again, states that add to their rolls qualify for more cash.

read more at the link.

It isn't so hard anymore, states want to add people because the Federal Government is paying up to 80% for every person they add. And there is no limit or cap to the funding.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Thank you, I was completely unaware that it had changed.

Having been on welfare I do believe it is needed but the government doesn't want to make any type of reform that would actually help the people receiving aid get on their own two feet.

I personally would start with a daycare program that would extend to the middle class. Why? Because who the heck wants to get a job and make enough money if as soon as they do, they lose their daycare and have to start spending the bulk of their income on daycare. In today's society it takes two incomes to make ends meet, long gone are the days of the stay at home mom.

They need to make working pay, not punish you for it. How many children you can have may have changed but I doubt the fact that you get punished for working has.

I am also for drug testing. I think a lot of people seem to think that if we did that children would suffer, but if the parents are on drugs the money isn't going to the kids anyways. I also believe a lot of people would be willing to get clean to keep their check. You would be surprised at what some people would do to stay on welfare and sometimes its harder than having an actual job.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

With regards to you comment that work should pay, there is something called the Earned Income Tax Credit. (EITC). The basic jyst of the EITC is that people who have jobs, but make low incomes can get a tax refund from the IRS.

The amount of money one makes from the EITC varies depending on a person's income or the number of kids they have. When I was preparing volunteer tax returns, it was not uncommon for some people to make a $3000-$5000 off the EITC. If you cannot file a tax return yourself or cannot afford to pay someone to file a return, the IRS sponsors a free tax return service called VITA.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The tax return is nice for 1 month out of the year, but most people on welfare don't make enough to get that much back. I believe the most I ever got back during that time was $900-1200.

During the rest of the year say you are working 20 hrs a week at $7 an hour that's $560 a month minus taxes which leaves with about $490 after taxes the same as your welfare check. So that would be great right? You double you monthly income, something you can actually live on, but no, first that take a large chunk out of your welfare check, then they penalize you for not working enough hours even though you are thanking your lucky stars just to get the hours you are getting. So basically you are working 80 hours a month for an extra $100 a month. Not really worth it when you can make almost the same amount of money and not work, especially when it you end up paying that extra $100 dollars in gas, uniforms and what ever else you have to pay to work and trust me I found myself quite often spending more money to hold down a job than I would have if I didn't work. The only thing that kept me working was my pride. So basically then you are working for free.
As far as the tax credit goes. that means you are working 1040 hours for $1200 a year, that's like getting paid just over $1 an hour. When you look at it that way I can see how many people think its just not worth it.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I think things have really changed a lot. I know someone that is making roughly 25k takehome a year with 3 kids and has $500 a month in food stamps, full medical coverage for herself and the kids.

She has a full time job, with insurance, but she qualifies for state funded Medicaid, so she doesn't have to pay that out. Her last tax refund was over 5k., so she actually got more than she paid in at the end of the year.

Her boyfriend lives with her, and she also reported his income, and they still qualify.

The hard part is making it month to month waiting on that yearly check.

Then, she blew the 5k.

I gave them thousands last year to pay their rent, power, gas, and to buy food when they ran out of the $500 in food stamps before the end of the month. They were supposed to pay some of it back when they got that refund, but we never got a penney.

No more help from me.

I wouldn't feel that way if she hadn't blown the money.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I can't blame you for that. Clearly things have changed then. like I sad this was 10 years ago.

top topics

join