It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eckhart Tolle, Scam Artist?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by _SilentAssassin_

Interesting. I will have to look into "Death Science."

I do know that personally, my own little enlightening experience involved my death. (Long story, not a NDE, but a dream in which I died) And, it is also worth noting that many philosophies, mystic and otherwise, speak of dying before death, or have some concept of death being the path to liberation.

Of course they arent advocating physical suicide.

So "death" certainly seems to play a significant role in many traditions, even if it is only the death of the idea of a separate self and the individual form remains.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I will have to look into "Death Science."

I just came up with that name, because that's what it sounds like. FINITE intellectual death. Like I said your suppose to use your brains to create not self-destruct.
Without creation and mutual interaction between individuals our evolution would stop. I don't know a better way to put it.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by _SilentAssassin_]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.

In other words...

The fundamental truth of the universe that can be explained/spoken is not the actual fundamental truth of the universe.

Meaning:

All words/concepts/symbols/metaphors/paradoxes/parables/allegories that try to explain the Truth, all fall short. Because in the end, they are just words.

We confuse words for truth. The adjectived subject always predicates adverbially, right? Wrong. The universe is not broken up into nouns & verbs. That is just how our mind parses the experience data we receive.

Words about the truth fall short in that they are not the actual truth they describe. They are a map, not the terrain. They are the menu, not the meal. But we confuse them, because we are trapped in our own minds and our languages become tyrants in the ordering our thinking within its own limitations.

Any author who writes of the truth will always fall short, because it is an impossible task. In that sense, they are all frauds.

But they still try to explain the unexplainable, just as we try to understand that which cant be understood in the paradigm of our language-based thoughts.

See them all for what they are, and they can be a useful guide in your unlearning.

Mistake them for truth peddlers, and you continue in your illusion.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by josheboyxiii

We confuse words for truth.

Words can become truth when you want them to. My point is that is just a way that our species has to communicate and transmit information. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Words can become truth when you want them to..

No. You are confusing the map for the terrain. Words describe truth to the best of our language's ability. Words are not actual truth. They are symbols that represent reality. That is all they are.

My point is that is just a way that our species has to communicate and transmit information. Nothing wrong with that

You are right. There is nothing wrong with communication. As long as you see it for what it is, and as long as you understand it's limits.

Words are only words. Concepts are only concepts. Reality... TRUTH... is above both.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Sorry but I have to disagree. For example when I read a poem, that gives me a pleasant sensation, it mite affect the rest of my day. Everything affects reality, including words, because words are part of reality as well. I'm affecting yours rite now. BU! just joking.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by _SilentAssassin_

Sorry but I have to disagree. For example when I read a poem, that gives me a pleasant sensation, it mite affect the rest of my day. Everything affects reality, including words, because words are part of reality as well. I'm affecting yours rite now. BU! just joking.

It affects your mind. It has no bearing on reality.

The poem isnt the truth. It only describes it the best way it can. And in the case of poems, it cannot use exact language to describe things like love, or God, or any other transcendant subject or object. Language is limited, so the poem or teacher has to cheat language by using the linguistic tricks of metaphor and analogy. Read the poem literally and you'll see it isnt very factual, is it? But yet it describes a truth. How can it do that?

Because words are not truth. Words can only attempt to accurately or inaccurately describe truth. Words are not reality. They do not affect reality. They only affect our minds in their experience of reality.

Words are not the moon. They are the finger that points to the moon.

See the finger for what it is. A guide.

Focus on the moon.

Do this, and you will see the difference between what is actually true and real, and what your mind labels as true and real.

Do this, and you will EXPERIENCE truth, rather than just talk/think about it.

----- now back to the topic of the OP --------

Ideas like this are what Tolle writes about. And it is nothing but regurgitated Tao and Zen. But regurgitated truth is still truth. He's just smart enough to put his name on it and make a few mil...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I disagree.
Your mind is part of you.
Ask yourself, why would you need a brain, if it wasn't to learn about reality.
Following your line of thought you would say something like this: A planet is a planet but not precisely a planet the way we know it. Gold is gold but not precisely the gold we know.
That does not make any sense, when would it stop? Never, because EVERYTHING IS REAL.
What Eckhart Tolle does is just mind deconstruction. You use knowledge to empower yourself, to learn about yourself and what is around and become a better human BEING. Thoughts, emotions etc these are all elements that are part of the human being, you MASTER them, you do not erase them like a computer. What this guy does is just promoting a state of apathy.

Always remeber: Truth Shall Set us Free. And The Truth is inside us all.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by _SilentAssassin_]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I have recently picked up my old copy of Stillness Speaks by Echart Tolle. I dont know about all this Oprah Church stuff, all I know is that his original teachings helped me greatly following a Spiritual awakening. It is these that people should quietly read and forget anything further that is said on the run away drama train that seems to have taken over his teachings.

Eckhart speaks in his introduction to Stillness Speaks about what a Spiritual teacher is. He states a true spiritual teacher does not have anything to teach in the conventional sense of the word, does not have anything to give or add to you, such as new information, beliefs, or rules of conduct. The only function of such a teacher is to help you remove that which seperates you from the truth of who you already are and what you already know in the depths of your being. The Spiritual teacher is there to uncover and reveal to you that dimension of inner depth that is also peace.

For me it is only within inner stillness and silence that we can remember who we are. His books, along with other teachings have helped me along my journey to inner silence and it is these original teachings I refere to not any Oprah web site.

When we loose touch with inner stillness, you lose touch with yourself. When you loose touch with yourself, you loose yourself to the world.

Your innermost sense of self, of who you are, is inseperable from stillness. This is the I AM that is deeper than name and form.

-E Tolle Stillness Speaks.

His teachings help people find inner silence beyond the ego mind, they help consciousness become aware which can only aid the coming human evolution . They are a small part of a much bigger picture that is unfolding everywhere to enable us to connect to the I AM instead of the I.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

Eckhart speaks in his introduction to Stillness Speaks about what a Spiritual teacher.

I bet he smells like pee. Sorry I hate that anti-hygienic mofo. LIAR.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

I think he explained everything he needed to in "The Power Of Now" and if not he Definitely explained it in the very long "A New Earth" It's not the Teachings I disagree with, Ego (Or whatever you want to call it) is very real, it's nothing more than a state of mind though. I don't believe he needed to add all the New Age beliefs to his teachings, previous gurus didn't. He highly contradicts his own beliefs "And he knows it" but I think he has gotten into something he cannot get out of, he can try but chances are he would be more suicidal than before.

Eckhart Toll screwed up as soon as he got involved with Oprah, she puts so many words into Toll's mouth, He almost looks uncomfortable at times. Such a shame as Eckhart understand the Haman mind more than most, the way he presents his work is amazing "Prior to Oprah" in my opinion he has now become the Student and Oprah has become his Teacher.

This is from a blog I found, really interesting read.

Do all religions lead to the same place? Before I answer that question, let me issue a warning. Anyone who answers in the negative may well be ostracized for being narrow-minded and intolerant. That being said, here's my answer: no. Not all religions lead to the same place. It is incorrect as well as illogical to maintain that they do.

When you begin to examine world religions, religions like Judaism or Hinduism or Buddhism, you will immediately recognize that they directly contradict one another. Moses taught that there was one God. Krishna believed in many gods. Buddha was agnostic. Logically they can all be wrong, but they cannot all be right.

Not only that but the road of religion leads steeply uphill. The road of Christianity descends downward. What I mean by that is religion is fallen humanities attempt to reach up and become acceptable to God through what we do. Christianity, on the other hand, is a divine gift based on what Christ has done. He lived the perfect life that we could never live and He offers us His perfection as an absolutely free gift. Jesus taught that there was only one way to God. "I am the way and the truth and the life" said Jesus. "No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Tolle, who is promoted by people like Oprah Winfrey, says that all religions offer only glimpses of truth and no religion has total truth. In the final analysis his final arbiter of truth is subjective experience. As I've said many times on the broadcast, experiences are notoriously unreliable.

Eckhart Tolle says the moment you say "only my belief is true" and you deny other beliefs, then you've adopted an ideology.

That raises the question: What is truth? That was the very question Pontius Pilate asked Jesus Christ. In the irony of the ages he stood toe to toe with the personification of truth and yet he missed its reality. Unfortunately we today, as postmodern people, are in much the same position. We stare at truth but fail to recognize its identity. That's why people like Eckhart Tolle can deceive us. We have to recognize that truth, at its root, is an aspect of the nature of God. So if we're going to put on truth we've got to put on Christ, because Christ is truth and we, as Christians, are called to be the bearers of truth.

Christianity is not true because it works. It's not true because if feels right. It's not true because it's my truth. It's true because it's anchored in the Person and work of Jesus Christ who demonstrates that He is God - the one who spoke and the universe leapt into existence - through His resurrection. Truth is anything that corresponds to reality. It doesn't yield to the size and strength of the latest lobby group. It's not a mere matter of preference or opinion. Truth is true even if everyone denies it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone affirms it. Truth is essential, as such, to a realistic worldview. When sophistry and sensationalism and superstition sabotaged truth our view of reality is seriously skewed.

The bottom line is that the death of truth spells the death of civilization.

Source

[edit on 22-5-2010 by IamNow]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Interesting read about the Obama connection.........

Link

Some really good information on the scam.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by IamNow]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IamNow

Interesting stuff, but it really is WAAAAAAAAY off topic.

Maybe you should start a new thread? Or repost this in a thread that is more suited to NWO stuff?

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: unityemissions
I just think he's another retard who is sucking millions off all the suckers. His whole philosophy is to stop thinking and just be. That's not even remotely possible, and any attempt to do as such would be an act of insanity. Not only this, it literally attempts to teach mindlessness! People don't need to be tuning out to everything in the world, they need to just realize and focus on what matters. This guy makes me wanna puke.

Oh, and as for these supposed enlightened beings. They don't exist. They're all scam artists. Sai Baba, Krishnamurti, Ghandi, etc, etc. . . Nobody has a clue where we come from, how the cosmos truly came to be, or what will happen after death. We all have belief systems. To profess one's belief system as being complete is sheer arrogance. These people aren't spiritual, they're egotistic baboons. Spiritual people don't profess, they just do their thing.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by unityemissions]

Then you completely misunderstood..... Neither of those persons were active in wanting to profess, they were on the other hand ASKED if they wanted to share what they were doing, and then the masses gathered around.
Politicians profess, you don't go to a minister of X and ask.. can you share your knowledge? Minister of X tells the media to come to parliarment and then he stands up and professes how we should live our lives, what to eat, what to think and so on.

The people you mention including Eckhart Tolle all offer nothing more than assistance, which YOU yourself come to ask for, in removing boundaries. It is not their choice that you should remove those boundaries, it is entirely YOUR own wish.
If you do not have a wish listen to those people's advice, don't seek it, don't listen to it. Just continue your life. Just as I choose to turn of the tv when people of parliarment starts speaking.

You can often find lectures where people ask Tolle, how they can perform thinking at the same time as being present, and Tolle very politely offers ideas to this.

It's not about wether it's his ideas or not. Heck, anyone talking about philosophy or religion today is completely influenced by all that came before them, and there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be.

I must say, that I respect other people's choice to remain egoic and play the game completely immersed. It's your right, and probably one of the reasons the energy that is us, chose to become human in the first place... because of the game.

But I can also completely understand those who dislike this game and prefer to play it they way they like it. There are no set rules for this life. Yes, we have created certain concepts because it makes the world a little bit easier to survive in, but unfortunately some humans also choose to play the game in such a way that they think what is most funny is to enrich themselves with material value as much as they can. And more often than not, this takes place at the expense of others.

Choosing to be present or not play the "gain" game, is not a question of me or us or them not being able to enrich ourselves as much as we would like. It's about realising that we don't need all this surplus around us to be happy. Heck, if the game wasn't created in such a individual counter productive way, I would be self sufficient as much as I could and would spend my days watching flowers grow, helping neighbours, listening consciously to what my kids say and fantasize about, letting them be kids in all aspects.

I most definitely would not be sitting in front of this 5000 dollar computer, skipping chores of editing and rendering, to write here, spilling my guts like my ego depended on it. But before I can leave this path that I have chosen I have to walk it to the end or to the next fork in the road.

I have plenty of material value in my life, yet I am not happy? Why is that?

It wasn't Tolle that lead me the right way, it was actually Alan Watts who preceeded Tolle, but teach in a similar manner, although Watts is a lot more an entertainer than Tolle is.
However both are extremely well at offering ideas or views on life, based on their extensive studying of philosophy and religion. They do it in a manner that is easily understood and easy to indentify with.

This is needed because if you read books like those of Wu Hsin, you'll find them very attached to the time in which he lived.
The language is universal once you understand it, but us westerners are so entrenched in our way of life, the material oriented one, that we can't right away see life for what it is. What it was before us and what it will still be after us.

I'm not trying to tell you that you HAVE to read Tolle or you HAVE to listen to Watts or Dalai Lama, just as neither or them have EVER said, that what they talk about is truth or "the one way".

But for me, I can only agree that human life indeed is suffering. Just look at me. With all we have in our life. I'm even projecting the things I wanted as a kid but never got onto my own kids. My son has way too much Lego fx. Especially quite a few of the larger more expensive models, but nothing of this holds any true value or gives happiness.

I for one am slowly coming to the conclusion that if I one day succeed in winning over the thinking mind and the egoic me, I will be sitting in my apartment, only owning 70-100 things at any given point. And think about it... even that number is quite a lot of things to affect your day with.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Tolle litterally saying that he never says that anyone should do this and that or believe in this and that.

edit on 17/11/15 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
He is scamer and his teachings are lame. He made lots of money and TV loves him and want to make more money from it. So if everything is about money the you know ... It is scam.

I agree with him at some point but lots if things are BS.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I bought a couple of his audio books, but really struggle hearing his voice. He's nowhere near as entertaining as Alan watts and ram dass, who basically talk about the same things. I can't sayI'm a fan. I have no reason to suspect he's a scam, he is what he is a spiritual entertainer just seems to lack charisma.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
If he doesn't have an ego why does he feel the need to be on tv teaching anything?

People who are Loving, naturally want to share with others!
People who find their way into Love, always, naturally, want to share/teach!
All 'words/thoughts' are ego!
Words are lies with which poets and the Enlightened (unconditionally Loving) attempt to use to point to Truth!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I bought a couple of his audio books, but really struggle hearing his voice. He's nowhere near as entertaining as Alan watts and ram dass, who basically talk about the same things. I can't sayI'm a fan. I have no reason to suspect he's a scam, he is what he is a spiritual entertainer just seems to lack charisma.

I agree, Tolle can seem a bit dry. Thankfully in these YT days, you don't have to buy any books anymore. Once you gotten the general idea, you can use Tolles segments as pointers rather than needing an entire lecture.
While I do love Alan Watts, I find that while being entertaining and very enlightening, he tends to sometimes wander off in his talks making them a bit a bit hard to follow. I mean, the point is there, it's just a very long journey.

Tolles talk of the pain body (which of course is just westernized eastern philosophy) actually made me remember how I used Allen Carrs book to stop smoking in litterally 2 days. I know perceive what is me as a 3-part being.
1. The body... more or less just a fleshy vessel.
2. The thinking mind / ego... almost a seperate entity that needs both the vessel and the "that which is" to survive.
3. "that which is".

I think "that which is" could be interpreted as the soul in a christian mindset, I like to think just understand what it is, rather than try to name it further than this.
But understanding that little thing, means you can begin to control the no. 2 part more actively.

Fx. when reading Allen Carr, he suggested that one visualize the hunger for cigarettes (or nicotine) as a little monster sitting inside, just yelling for satisfaction. I would then adress it and simply tell it, "no... you can't have any", and each time it would cry, and I would deny it, it would grow smaller and smaller until it became to deminished that the power of it was gone. Smoke free for 5 years now.

But the point is, that little monster, is now what I can see Eckhart Tolle refer to as the "pain body". Quite a remarkable word, that describe exactly what it does to me. I've only just come to understand this, so apart from quitting cigarettes, I haven't been using it actively very well, but I can see the potential in using it to rid myself of my habit for late night snacking on crisps and what not.
The ego demanding satisfaction, and the the real part of me denying it.

My girlfriend asked if this wasn't more or less walking away from responsibility for one's own being or welfare, but I consider it to be exactly the opposite.
If I choose to see myself as 3 parts, then the potential outcome is more control of how my vessel is treated in every aspect.
If I choose to follow the norm and accept the 2 part (or even 1 part if you are completely and willingly emerged in the game), then I let myself be identified with the pesky needs of my ego, continuing to buy snacks every night... for what reason, other than to not have people question the ideas of some "new age crap" of what other demeaning words they can use to describe it.

As I see it, the 3 part idea does no harm to anyone, and if I eventually manage to become as present as I can be to remain healthy and someone came to me an asked "wauw... you look great, what have you been doing?"; should I just remain quiet. I would think the proper thing to do was to talk about the ideas and philosophies I followed in a way that does not condescent or try to sound as "truth".... Let people choose for themselves.

I would expect most people to react with an "oh" and then continue on their own path, and a few like minded would respond with "oh wauw... can you tell me how to get into that", upon which I wouldn't know what to say, because just like all before have said that there's nothing to teach, you often have to let the fool persist in his or her folly to eventually come to realisation.

The whole idea of the greatest gift is not by giving, it is by taking away.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Wow, some people in this thread are so dismissive.

I actually had a "spiritual awakening" or "enlightening experience" thanks to Eckhart Tolle. By the way, these types of words seem to be describing something big, but all "awakening" and "enlightenment" refer to, is a very small and simple insight into what is happening in your mind.

I was reading his book The Power of Now and while reading I got the insight that I am not my thoughs, but that I am the observer of my thoughts. And the moment I realized that, a wave of happiness went through my body, starting in my toes and ending in my head. Then a second wave hit, even more intense.Then a third, fourth and fifth wave, each one more intense than the previous one. The last wave was a full on mental orgasm.

Thanks to Tolle I know now how the mind really works, instead of just continuiing this nonsense of identifying with your thoughts which is so common in Western culture. It's funny how Western culture is superior for many people, but we don't spend a lot of time being introspective. But yet still we seem to know better what goes on inside us.

And I've never heard Tolle say things that made me doubt his intentions. He himself very well knows that he is not offering something new to the world. He is just sharing old information in his own personal style.

Now I do understand that many people are not big fans of The Power of Now, since it's very repetitive for instance. But hey, it worked for me and for someone else reading Alan Watts might make the difference.

Nice Zen saying trying to show enlightenment is not as special as some people seem to believe:

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment chop wood, carry water."

edit on 3-12-2015 by Neill887 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join