It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eckhart Tolle, Scam Artist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I have this question in the back of my mind. It sounds kind of like this, "Is Eckhart Tolle a scam artist?". Ok now let me make something clear. I am not arguing on weather or not what he is teaching is plausible, as i believe a lot of what he says runs in line with zen buddhism, and alan watts. What i am questioning is his authenticity. Has anyone else come into this line of thinking? Does anyone else think that he is some sort of scam artist? I have watched many videos of him, and i can't help but come into this line of thinking.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Tolle took all the wisdom of previous authors and rebranded it as his own. His sources came from personal development books, buddhism, positive thinking etc. He is a money maker, just look at his beady little eyes.
Original thinker? I think not

+13 more 
posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten

Original thinker? I think not

Eckhart never professed that he is an original thinker ... in fact goes repeatedly out of his way, sometimes ad nauseam, to point to the fact that there's nothing he puts in words that we all don't already know. Furthermore he again repeatedly reiterates the fact that many before him have pointed to the same location ... namely inwards, and that all he is doing is merely lending another voice.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I agree with you 100%. It is disgusting. I am trying to show my father this. I wish i had 5 minutes on the Oprah show with Eckhart Tolle in a 1 on 1 debate about consciousness.

I just wanted to check with people here on ATS as they are not as easily deceived. I was hoping for more comment.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I remember when I read one of his books. He talked about his own personal experience with a dissolving of ego. It sounded very strange, although I got the impression that he believed what was happening to him. According to him, he was living life in a state of constant misery, depression, anxiety, completely wrapped up inside his own mind like a prisoner. And one night he went over some threshold and had some sort of energetic paralysis where it felt like all the negativity was being sucked out of him by an external force that kept saying to him "do not resist" or "resist nothing" or something dramatic like that. And then the next morning he felt born anew, heard birds chirping for the first time in years, etc.

The impression I got at the time was that he is a bit delusional, does not walk what he talks, though can probably convince himself that he does at times. The story above seemed contrived when I read it, like a mix of fact and fiction. He almost certainly sees the wisdom of the material he puts forth, but he doesn't sound like someone who speaks from that path... rather, he speaks like someone who can see the path in the distance but hasn't truly experienced it, if that makes any sense.

+7 more 
posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Btw ...

- His books are available for free all over the web and he doesn't ask to have them taken down ... heck I have The Power of Now on my media page.

- His videos are all over youtube, and he doesn't ask to take them down.

- He's all but stopped doing personal appearances other than a retreat here and there despite the fact that he is overwhelmed with requests.

- Most of all, like most folks who woke up one day and decided to speak of their experience, folks cannot wait to deify him and follow him. This is something that he has never allowed.

He is by all measures the very opposite of a scam artist.

There are scam artists everywhere where people are looking outwardly for answers which they already possess, religions are built that way. In the non-dual tradition the likes of Cohen and his lackeys who milk "seekers" for every penny abound. rebloggingbradwarner.blogspot.com...

But Eckhart is surely not one of them.

But the mind will resist the truth with extreme prejudice for the truth strips it of its ability to be the source of one's identification with it ... so if needs to label the mirror as a scam artist that's what it will do.

If one doesn't like the voice there are countless others sharing the signposts as best as words can approximate ... such as www.adyashanti.org...

If one's mind rejects what is, then I am afraid that every messenger will be a "scam artist" or worst to that mind.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

I have an ego and i am perfectly happy. If i follow his teachings i wouldn't be eating, or drinking water or anything.

The idea of life is to experience it, not run away from it!

If he doesn't have an ego why does he feel the need to be on tv teaching anything?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
he writes words which are true and which help. that is ALL that matters. debating other issues is immoral, none of our business, and a waste of time... imho =) lets be nice and just thank the man for trying as best he can help others. lets not bitch at everything and everyone EVEN when theyre doing nothing but good. even if he is what u call a 'scam artist', it is of no significance. lets not bitch at all, and if we do, at least lest bitch about real evil issues not a smiling hobbit-like gentleman who speaks truth.

smile on brothers - be nice =)

aLaN

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by Son of Will

I have an ego and i am perfectly happy. If i follow his teachings i wouldn't be eating, or drinking water or anything.

The idea of life is to experience it, not run away from it!

If he doesn't have an ego why does he feel the need to be on tv teaching anything?

thanks for sharing your OPINION. to me its all wrong... so kindly dont go stating stuff like its fact
many people could fall for it and take your OPINION as fact...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by madness

You may be perceiving them as facts. I may not be stating them as facts. I simply had this thought and wanted to get other opinions on the matter before i formed a truer opinion. I do however enjoy my life.

I do have an ego. I also do however practice zen and metta meditation. I am coming to terms with the understanding of ego. Eckhart Tolle is someone that i have actually taken a few lessons from.

But would i be wrong not to question him, or anything or anyone else if i wasn't going to truly learn about them or it?

Do you think that conspiracies are considered bitching? I find this very relative considering a lot of the members here are very philosophical. I find your idea of bitching to be offensive.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I have an ego and i am perfectly happy. (u r stating a fact about yourself). If i follow his teachings i wouldn't be eating, or drinking water or anything. (again stating a fact u believe in, while implying that eckharts teachings do not allow u to drink or eat)

The idea of life is to experience it, not run away from it! (again, ure implying eckhart teaches you to run away from life, merely your conclusion)

If he doesn't have an ego why does he feel the need to be on tv teaching anything? (again.. u stating he hasnt got an ego... your belief).

its important to be as clear as possible when typing. language is powerful, when used correctly.. otherwise it just distorts and gives false impressions. in my opinion you are imposing you beliefs here, not asking for peoples opinions.

il be gone now as this is truly not worth debating further over.... i recommend you do the same and drop this silly topic which will never lead to anything positive or useful =) be nice... go spread a smile friend

good day all - smile on

aLaN

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

argh forgive me just realised your edit.

also forgive me for offending you with the word bitching, it might have sounded harsher than i wanted it to. bottom line i just dont see the point of discussing a mans authenticity when at the end of the day he doing no obvious harm. he writes nice words, he helps people, end of story... in my opinion.

conspiracy theories lead to finding knowledge which have weight, repercussions, hidden meanings, truths etc.... i dont see how analysing mr Tolle here is related in any way. but thats just me =)

sorry for causing any distress in the thread. i bid u all a good day =)

aLaN from tiny Malta

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by madness

Ok, ok. I am stating a fact about myself. I am happy.

By saying that the idea of life is to experience it, i am saying that ego is apart of that experience.

I am saying that he doesn't have an ego because he claims himself a master, does he not?

Language is perceptually based. It is impossible to impose beliefs over the internet. It may be possible to suggest beliefs, or present an idea, and have a discussion on that idea?

My OP is presented in question format. I guess it would be wrong to come onto a forum, dedicated to the exploration of ideas, and ask a question about an idea i have had?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
He is a Con Artist, well he was as soon as he signed up for the Church of Oprah.

Complete bunch of New Age rubbish, another bunch of loonies that need locking up.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by NotAgain]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
For the life of me I cannot understand why people have to find fault with everything good.

What he teaches- or helps you realize is good and only good- It can do no harm. I have read his book- A New Earth., and I recognized so many things in that book that I do on a daily basis that holds me back and has destroyed relationships with people. My compulsive thinking- getting angry with people for things they have done in the past- things that I think they will do in the future.... which they have not even done yet... I can go on for ages...

I think many people think badly of him- or try to discredit him after reading the first couple of pages where he speaks of religion & Christianity in particular. I think it offends Christians.

The book helps one to take responsibility for your own thoughts and how they affect one's life. It teaches people to just be ..... Just feel the energy of life flowing through you and to be appreciative for the fact that you are here now and you are alive. You are a part of something so big and wonderful and to never be afraid of life, because you are life... To take time to breathe, and pay attention to nature. It has saved me from so many pointless arguments with people, people I would have easily alienated because you cannot have a decent conversation with them...I have realized that they are just like me - they have an ego, that is responsible for most of their reactions & once you can realize that in yourself and others- it makes relationships so much more clear.

I can now realize that when I want to argue with someone about a topic- or present information that is sustained by proof, that arguing is unnecessary- because no amount of debate can change a fact.

I don't understand how this could make him a con artist at all- How can changing peoples lives for the better make you a con artist...?
I am grateful that I had the opportunity to read that book. It has help me see things a little clearer....

I would like to ask the OP- Have you read his books? Have you read even one?

[edit on 21/04/10 by jinx880101]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

By saying that the idea of life is to experience it, i am saying that ego is apart of that experience.

So does Eckhart Tolle- It is realizing how the ego manifests within you that changes things...the ego must dissolve eventually- our survival as a species depends on it...

"The unchecked striving for more, for endless growth, is a dysfunction and a disease. It is the same dysfunction the cancerous cell manifests, whose only goal is to multiply itself, unaware that it is bringing about its own destruction by destroying the organism of which it is a part." - Eckhart Tolle Page 37

I am saying that he doesn't have an ego because he claims himself a master, does he not?

No he does not- He admits he is human with faults just like everyone else. He has never proclaimed to be a master. He has never proclaimed to be ego less. Instead he points to teachings of Buddha and Jesus instead of his own.

Language is perceptually based. It is impossible to impose beliefs over the internet. It may be possible to suggest beliefs, or present an idea, and have a discussion on that idea?

Funny you should mention that-

Words reduce reality to something the human mind can grasp, which isn’t very much. Language consists of five basic sounds produced by the vocal cords. They are the vowels a, e, i, o, u. The other sounds are consonants produced by air pressure: s, f, g, and so forth. Do you believe some combination of such basic sounds could ever explain who you are, or the ultimate purpose of the universe, or even what a tree or stone is in its depth? - Eckhart Tolle

My OP is presented in question format. I guess it would be wrong to come onto a forum, dedicated to the exploration of ideas, and ask a question about an idea i have had?

I disagree- I believe you had a preconceived idea about the man when you have not read his work...Instead, watched a couple of you tube clips. The reason for me saying this I will quote you.

It is disgusting. I am trying to show my father this. I wish i had 5 minutes on the Oprah show with Eckhart Tolle in a 1 on 1 debate about consciousness.

Some advice- Maybe you should download his books-for free, before entering into a debate with the man...?

[edit on 21/04/10 by jinx880101]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
He seems like a guy who'd be really nice to his mom. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Its important to ask whether someone is an authentic teacher or not. There are many out there who are the real deal, and many who are not. Tolle is one where Im not sure. No doubt his books will be beneficial to MILLIONS, so thats good. But its not that difficult to act enlightened. Anyone can play-act that.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

When he first started out he was really inspiring, but the more you follow him the more you see how much Ego he is full of. He never stops wittering on about his past and how he nearly committed suicide, and he tell us not the dwell on the past. Do you really think he speaks like that in reality, as in like a frigging hypnotist.

His work is actually not his work, he has just used what every Guru before him already knew... eg. Anthony De Mello...

He has just added modern labels to old teaching, old teaching that obviously didn't work the first time round yet they continue to grow. They keep digging up this New Age Belief that dies every time because it's full of self centered people

Now he has joined the Church Of Opera and contradicted his own teaching, yet the gullible and vulnerable fall for it hook line and sinker. The questions you started off with "The questions we all have" never get answered. instead you do a full circle and in the end they tell you the answers are within, BACK WHERE YOU STARTED. but they got what they wanted out of you, even if you only bought/read one of his books... Because the first thing you do when you read it (As stated in one of his books) is share the message with others, draw more people into the loony cult.

Wake the F up people, I have done the full circle... I am speaking from vast experience (Not beliefs)

Do some research, there is enough evidence at hand to prove how much of a Fraud Eckhart Tolle and the Church of Oprah are.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I just think he's another retard who is sucking millions off all the suckers. His whole philosophy is to stop thinking and just be. That's not even remotely possible, and any attempt to do as such would be an act of insanity. Not only this, it literally attempts to teach mindlessness! People don't need to be tuning out to everything in the world, they need to just realize and focus on what matters. This guy makes me wanna puke.

Oh, and as for these supposed enlightened beings. They don't exist. They're all scam artists. Sai Baba, Krishnamurti, Ghandi, etc, etc. . . Nobody has a clue where we come from, how the cosmos truly came to be, or what will happen after death. We all have belief systems. To profess one's belief system as being complete is sheer arrogance. These people aren't spiritual, they're egotistic baboons. Spiritual people don't profess, they just do their thing.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by unityemissions]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join