It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

poor people beware bye bye child tax credits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

The CTFs have only been going a few years and are intended to encourage saving, not pay for child care or other essentials. People survived before 2005 and along with the forthcoming changes in the personal allowance this should not have much of a negative affect at all.

The tax credits will still be available just not to anyone earning over £50,000. I’d be surprised if someone can’t get by without tax credits when they’re on that sort of income. You said in your OP why can’t they stop benefits to those who can afford it; I’d say households on £50k can afford it.

It may be a shock but it’s not one that is going to leave people on the scrap heap or put them into real poverty.

Again, we have a huge deficit and debt problem and something needs to be done about it. It’s not going to be easy on anyone.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
Are these people even worth bothering with if they turn up at the job centre dressed like a scum bag, why not change the rules to smart dress appearance and filter some of these #s out,

When I have been unemployed before I went to the jc in smart interview clothes every time and said i will literally take any job and they snubbed me!, but yet the tramps get free clothes/mobiles when clearly they are not looking for a job what so ever... and a free ride.

they are the leeches
they should work for a benefit too if they do not comply or not get any payment what so ever, then they will think twice, it sounds cruel but hey

You are right the vast majority of their problems are self induced, but I think we are still failing them. I would rather see funds spent on getting them a skill to actually get a job they can live on, and off of welfare.

I envision a program were the system is a full circle as in they get living expense from the state, but are still required to work for the state and successfully complete tech school for new skills. Many are stuck in a loop that they have children and so they can’t work and pay daycare too, so they are stuck on welfare. A part of this full circle of support is the state has daycare for them that is employed by them after training to provide the opportunity to learn and work. Those who do not want to work or improve their life should be removed from the program…it’s their choice.

Just giving money and saying get a job will never work.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Treasury officials have targeted child benefit payments for the middle classes

My theory?

You're either a Lefty sour grapes propagandist, or you're ignorant of the facts, even though you quoted some yourself!

Are 'Middle class' people 'the poor' then? Nope.

Is there a threshold of earnings before CTC get's withdrawn? Yes...under the Tories is was to be £50,000 p/a..under LibDems it was to be £31,000, coalition government, so split the difference and call it £40,000 p/a.

In other words...a family can earn UP TO £40,000 per year, BEFORE the credits will be withdrawn from them...if they're pulling in at least 40K a year, they are hardly poor are they! (that's about $60,000 US or thereabouts)

Propaganda put out by BAD losers.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I would like to inform you that I am not a loser and wouldn't be considered by others as a loser, your sarcastic negativity isn't needed here,
someone says a thought and they scream propaganda

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

why can;t they just stop higher class benefits...the ones who can already afford to pay their own way...

Because the tories are the same old tories that never change.

absurd but lol
you did vote for him!

People are stupid enough to vote for Cameron and as I said before, they'll be the first to complain when he takes away family tax credits, with a pretences that tax reductions for the first 10,000 of earnings will cover it (which is only planned because of the lib-con coalition), when in actual fact, VAT increases will leave poorer people and especially those with families with much less than they've had for over a decade. All whilst giving the rich tax breaks.

Absurd yes, but if anyone voted tory they get what they deserve. In their shortsightedness to get rid of Brown, they forgot to engage their brains and realise any of the consequences.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by john124]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Because the tories are the same old tories that never change.

What are you talking about? The cuts will affect those earning over £40-50,000 except for the CTFs which are comparatively tiny and never meant to support day to day living.

Your post comes across as kneejerk Tory bashing; these cuts don’t disproportionately affect the poor and there has been no announcement that VAT will rise, that comes from a BBC survey of economists which would be the same under any government. Not that I don’t think VAT will rise but again, that would probably happen under any government. And what tax breaks are the rich getting?

The initial decisions of this government have benefited the poor and hit the more well off.

Where tax is concerned the major plans I’ve heard so far are to...

Raise the personal allowance to £10,000
Remove child tax credits for those earning £40-50k
NI rise of 1p in the pound for employees earning over £20k
Increase in capital gains tax, potentially to up to 40%

Seems pretty sound to me. Is your cynicism based on policies that have actually been announced or just a prejudice against the conservatives?

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Mike_A]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
there is sooooo much complete and utter bollocks being typed in this thread its unreal

I think we'll find the majority of people who are complaining about the cutting back of child tax credits will be the very people who shouldnt be getting them.

There is no way in hell tax payers of all classes should be paying for "middle" class peoples children, those middle class people should be cancelling their sky tv and skipping their two weeks in Spain every summer.

The welfare state needs to be brought back to the safety net it was supposed to be, if you can't afford children, don't bloody have them. It is not your god given right!

If a family is tested and deemed in need of state support, then they should be awarded food vouchers/housing vouchers/electricity vouchers which have their NI number on them and can only be redeemed with appopriate ID.

They should not be given cash, it will not be spent efficiently.

The state should not be paying people money, when they have the means to support themselves.

People complain saying the middle classes are being shafted, and quite right, we should be, we do not need tax credits/breaks, we just need to live within our means. If you don't like it, get a second job or educate yourself somemore, become upwardly mobile, make something of yourself instead of moaning about it on message board.

grrrrr

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
What grates with me... REALLY grates with me is that we, the general public, are paying the price for a load of Hooray Henries having a massive gambling binge on the markets, loosing it all, and having to be bailed out by us.

Then, while they carry on 'business as usual', paying themselves multi-million pound bonuses... and crowing about what a good year they are having, and how well the stockmarket is doing again... WE, the general public have to tighten our belts, and pay the piper. Not to mention the GALL of the same people who got bailed out by us are now telling us what spendthrifts we are... the banks and markets.

In short ... capitalise the profits, socialize the losses, and screw the general public every which way

Personally, I think this is why you are going to see more Greece-style riots happening worldwide... people are not going to tolerate this for much longer, especially when the cuts really start to bite.

EDIT ... forgot to add S&F for the thread

[edit on 14/5/2010 by Dagar]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
reply to post by Xtrozero

When I have been unemployed before I went to the jc in smart interview clothes every time and said i will literally take any job and they snubbed me!, but yet the tramps get free clothes/mobiles when clearly they are not looking for a job what so ever... and a free ride.

they are the leeches
they should work for a benefit too if they do not comply or not get any payment what so ever, then they will think twice, it sounds cruel but hey

Where are these free clothes/mobiles? I have been unemployed a few times, I was a single parent for a few years and I never got free clothes or a free mobile.... I struggled and still do since my partner was made redundant in April. Being on benefits isn't as wonderful as some people think, and most people do not consider it the easy option. I would love to go to work but there aren't enough jobs for everyone. My partner has worked since he was 15 years old. We currently do not receive enough to make ends meet, we feed our children and we go without. We wear the clothes you speak of because we cannot afford to go out and buy a new suit or new dress etc etc. I really wish people wouldn't put everyone in the same category. I was a working single parent and very proud of myself, but it seems that because I wear jeans and a t shirt I am frowned upon. It saddens me that we live in a society where people are still judged by their appearance and some people don't have the depth of character to look beyond their attire.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by darkestangel31

The job centre issues job seekers with a giro to buy interview clothes and you give them receipts. An adviser should have mentioned it.

what I mean about turning up in decent clothes is because employers go there sometimes and interview a large scale of people in a side room for jobs they have currently going,,
british gas usually do this and n power or vodafone mcdonalds etc
your not going to get a job in jeans and t-shirt if people look like they just got out f bed are they

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Welcome to new world order, you will see a lot more of this! enjoy,

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join