It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian Beef

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm reading the cooking forum here, looking for 'healthy' ideas, I'm talking about Italian Beef!

I have heard that not too many people know what this is. I am in Chicago and Italian Beef is *everywhere* here.

But I have heard - even in most of the US - people don't know what this is. Let alone the rest of the world.

People can't get this in most of the US, so I am told, alot of the restaurants that are known for this here will ship frozen all over the world. I suppose it's not widely known of or available then. - alot of people don't even seem to know what it is.

Do you have it where you live?

Do you like it?

Do you have some variation there of?

Italian Beef w/ Sweet Peppers - double dipped! Mm mm mmmmm.........

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Well,in the rest of the country they have "french"dipped sandwiches which is pretty much the same thing.The french is for french bread which is what the sliced beef is served on.

You have to dip them in aus jus because the french roll is tough to chew.

I believe what is popular in Chicago is just a regional variant of this.

This place Philippe's in Los Angeles,Calif.originated the French dipped sandwich.

They dip the cut bun in juice before adding the meat.

A single dip is just the top dipped, a double dip is both top and bottom dipped.

In Philadelphia they have the Philly cheesesteak sandwich which is similar to the Italian beef sandwich.

The cheessteak sandwich originated by Pat's King of Steaks a small shop outside the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard.

Cheesesteak sandwiches use a softer roll and you can eat them without them being soaked in ausjus.

The cheese normally used is Cheese Whiz cheese in a can and is spread liberally on the bun before the meat is put on.They usually just keep the can on the griddle to keep the cheese fluid and easy to spread.

They can have grilled onions and also green peppers on them.

Talking about all these delicious sandwiches have made me hungry.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Oneolddude]

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Yeah, I know, it makes you want to eat these things. I'm trying to be on a diet also.

Now I'm trying to remember where I got a "Philly Cheese Steak" Pizza. It was either Tomb Stone or Red Baron.

And now I want that
And it wasn't too good either. The *idea* was there but it was a little blah.

We don't have the 'sandwich' like that here. Well probably if you looked high and low, but it's not at the average local sandwich shop.

Now I want that too. And beer.

Diet's not off to a good start here, is it?

join