It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knocked myself out unconscious... having memory problems.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The other day I jumped down the stairs, unfortunately a bit too high up, and smashed my head into the door frame (I literally just spent about a minute trying to remember the words "door frame").

My memory has been bad the past few days since it happened, and it seems to either be progressing, or I'm just realizing it more. I'll be having a conversation and have to stop because I can't find the word for the item/thing I'm talking about; I just give up sometimes and use a more general term instead.

I know something is going on, and I realize ATS is not the ER but I really can't afford to spend the money on a visit to the emergency room, and then I'll more than likely have to get an MRI.

I did some research about the brain, memory problems, and head injuries and came up with a lot of different information. It seems to be a bit scattered though because there's a lot of things about the brain that are still unknown.

Here's a picture of the brain, and I put the white circle around the area I hit it at. If anyone can give me an idea of what I might of done, and if they think it's something I definitely should get checked out, let me know. I will more than likely end up going to the ER in a few days if this persists, hopefully it doesn't but I really am starting to notice it and don't like it at all.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5400914fcce9.jpg[/atsimg]

After reading several articles this one seems to have some good information, but the thing is every time I read something new it seems to say memory is in one part of the brain or another... I guess it depends really, here's what I mean:

The Link between Brain and Memory

Both short-term and long-term memory processes constitute three components – encoding, storage and retrieval. The memory process is based on the interaction of these three components, which occur in different locations in the brain. Not sufficient research has been conducted to investigate the exact location of long-term memory and related brain areas, however, scientists hypothesize that the role of hippocampus is crucially significant in fabricating long term memory.

As it says, there is the "encoding, storage and retrieval" - I don't know if I'm having trouble with all of it, or some or what... I can remember some things OK but it seems those are small moments of clarity and then the next second I'll forget something about a memory (so possible part of the 'encoding' process is corrupt so to say and I'm only getting partial tidbits of new memories, and with my old memories I guess the 'retrieval' part is becoming an issue).

I hope this isn't serious, but I did wake up on the floor (which I have no idea how because I should have fell backwards onto the stairs, but instead I was inside the room in front of the door frame). I just remember blacking out in midair, and waking up quickly after (I wasn't blacked out long).

I was told that one of my pupils was large (my right one, which is the side I hit my head on mostly), and the other pupil (left one) was normal size. Oddly enough the right pupil at that current time when I was told it was bigger, was the one getting more light than the left, so it was definitely from a concussion.

Help anyone?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Thats really serious

I would be more worried about your health rather than money. NEVER TAKE A HEAD INJURY LIGHTLY. You could have lasting problems if you leave it

Immediately go see a doctor, please

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Thats really serious

I would be more worried about your health rather than money. NEVER TAKE A HEAD INJURY LIGHTLY. You could have lasting problems if you leave it

Immediately go see a doctor, please

I know money shouldn't matter, and it really doesn't it's just I'd hate to find out it was nothing and owe a few thousands dollars. But then again my life is worth more than any amount of money (yes I know that).

It's just about 1am right now, which would be a perfect time to go to the ER and all (at least it probably wouldn't be as crowded as usual but it can be at anytime really), but I have no ride at the moment so I'll have to wait until the morning and ask a family member to take me.

Until then feel free to let me know what you guys think, I know that none of you are brain surgeons but if you study and research like myself you may have something to offer.

And by the way, before anyone even asks, no I'm not doing any sort of drugs that would inhibit my memory. I do take medication that is prescribed but I've been on it all for a while so it would not have anything to do with that... it's quite obvious it's from my head injury.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Hoew long ago did you do it?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Hoew long ago did you do it?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

It happened on the 10th during the middle of the day (maybe 2pm or so).

And it's now the 14th approx. 1:15am

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Well, if you are still feeling affects, you definently need to see someone ASAP. Make sure you do this...promise me?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Please go to the emergency room ... please?

As Oz said you can't mess around with head injuries. It could be something innocuous as a small concussion or it could be a brain bruise or worse with pressure building against the brain. It could be really serious, hopefully it won't but this is a serious "better safe than sorry" situation.

Hope you feel better.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I promise ya I will go to the ER, I'm trying to get a ride right now, but like I said it's 1 something in the morning so it may be kind of hard.

reply to post by schrodingers dog

When I bend down, sort of having my head slanted downwards, I feel pressure against my head in exactly the spot I hit it... I should have realized earlier when I was feeling this that I need to get it checked out. Every time I bend down from my computer chair to unplug something I can feel it... Now I really know I need to go to the ER.

Thanks guys.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Doesn't look like I'm going to get to the ER tonight, I just tried asking the only person around I can get a ride from - my mother - and she seems to think it's not a big deal, she just said she would "ask someone about it tomorrow" - So I don't know what to do until then. I'm just going to lay down and relax, and hope I can find a ride from someone as soon as I can.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Well,I wouldn't worry about it myself,to tell you the truth.

If you are still capable enough to use a computer,make your way to this site and post a lengthy post with a photo,then I believe that is enough evidence that your brain is functioning properly.

Now, if you were to post this same thing again tomorrow on this web site.....

new topics

top topics

join