It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the 33rd degree the highest observed Masonic level?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Its not the highest degree...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
Its not the highest degree...

It is nice to have you, after 12 pages of discussion, drop in with your one liner.
Now that you have cleared it up so succinctly.....

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
It does become frustrating after a time to provide the same information over and over to this board only to have yet another person come along and repeat the same error, requiring someone to, once again, state the truth.

Here is the truth: the highest degree in Freemasonry is the 3rd degree, the Sublime degree of Master Mason. There is no higher degree. It is, quite literally, the ne plus ultra of Freemasonry.

The Ancient (and) Accepted Scottish Rite (putting "and" in parentheses is small joke alluding to the fact that in the US the organization is the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite in one part of the country and the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite in another) does confer degrees 4 through 32. And, yes, the 33rd degree is an honorary degree that is given to a member for outstanding service to the Fraternity or humanity. HOWEVER, these are not "higher" degrees. They give no additional authority or rank to the man who gives them. They are entirely optional. They are (except the 33rd), shockingly easy for a Master Mason to obtain in the United States.

Think of it like this... the 3rd degree is the PhD of Freemasonry. The Scottish Rite degrees (4 - 33) are like continuing education. It's good to do. It expands your knowledge. It keeps your understanding evolving and growing. But, the PhD is your primary and most important credential.

The 33rd degree is not the highest degree in Freemasonry. It just has a big number.

The 3rd degree, called the Sublime Degree of Master Mason, IS the highest degree. Every single Master Mason in the world knows this. I know it is counter-intuitive - 33 being a higher number than three -- but it is true. Freemasonry has had several hundred years to become quirky and idiosyncratic. Understanding it requires effort and a willingness to learn the history, customs, and philosophy of the organization. Approaching it as if you already know everything will result in me having to cut and past this lecture into the next thread.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by driley
It does become frustrating after a time to provide the same information over and over to this board only to have yet another person come along and repeat the same error, requiring someone to, once again, state the truth.

But your frustration is unfounded, as your input was a little redundant.

I thought it was clear back on page 5 or so that the thread title may misspeak on the specifics, yet still raises important questions on the general.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It is all Eye of Horus related code.

33 times 54 = 1782 Phoenix eye on Dollar
www.greatseal.com...

1782 / 529.375 = 3.3662337
729 = 3.3662337 x 216.5625
216.5625 x 1.015873 (64/63) Horus eye = 220

Hiram Abiff = Stone the builders rejected = 53 + 220
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-7-2010 by hawk123]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I say the Gnostics had more sensible knowledge of the "Christ" figure than did the Apostles.
Any how nothing higher than the third degree is observed in American Freemasonry. British masonry considers the Holy Royal Arch the summit of Craft Masonry, and in the Swedish Rite the XI* holds the highest authority. maybe in France the 33* is the highest acknowledged degree but i am unsure, but then there are still some countries that practice Memphis, Mis(z)riam, Memphis-Mis(z)riam Masonry and the 95th and/or the 99th* is recognized. (for the record those 3 rites are under the control of the Grand College of Rites in North America.)

[edit on 7/9/2010 by southerndemolay]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
driley, Masonic Light, or Saurus,

Good input.

Anyway, I wanted to ask another question. You rather articulately stated that any degrees beyond 3 are simply conferred by a side Masonic organization such as Scottish rite, York Rite, etc... It would seem to me that each of those organizations offers a maximum degree that is a multiple of 3 in some manner (12, 18, 33, 99, etc...). Is this on purpose? Maybe because there are 3 points to the compass/square? Or is this simply a coincidence?

:-)

Thanks!

G.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Freemasonry has a love affair with certain numbers and the biggest love affair, perhaps, is with the number 3. There are an incredible number (pardon the pun) of 3s in Masonry.

You may very well think that this is part of some grand plan. I tend toward the view that once the pattern of 3s was begun, it was carried out as often as possible for thematic consistency. You will, however, encounter other numbers also beloved by the Fraternity's system of symbols.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by southerndemolay

English Freemasonry accepts the Royal Arch as the summit of Craft Masonry, yes, but also says that there are only 3 degrees in Craft Masonry, including the Holy Royal Arch. This very Anglican position was taken to resolve the conflict between the Moderns and the Ancients. In a sense, therefore, the English regard the Royal Arch as a simple continuation of the third degree. There are no intervening degrees between Master Mason and Companion of the Royal Arch as there are in the York (or American) system.

In many European countries including France, and several South American countries, the Scottish Rite is highly influential. Nonetheless, I think everyone would agree that the degree of Master Mason is, the ne plus ultra of Freemasonry.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Pointer: Look up "32 paths" in Google.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by driley

You may very well think that this is part of some grand plan. I tend toward the view that once the pattern of 3s was begun, it was carried out as often as possible for thematic consistency. You will, however, encounter other numbers also beloved by the Fraternity's system of symbols.

Well, as a woman, I am obviously NOT a mason. I am also NOT a conspiracy theorist that the Masonic organizations are fronts or relations to the "illuminati" because I do not believe there is any such thing as the Illuminati (at least not in the way that most of the people on this board believe it). However, if there is one thing I *do* know it is that nothing that is considered "sacred" is done in a vacuum with no rhyme or reason. Even for thematic consistency....there is a reason WHY that number is important. As you mentioned, there are other numbers which also frequently re-appear. So why multiples of 3 and not some other important number? There is a reason.... *smile*

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
It's not, and never has been.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
This is very interesting. I'm not usually one to give numerology a second glance... usually not even a first... but some numbers certainly do seem to hold profound significance to certain groups. You'll see 72 thrown around in holy texts & traditions all over the world, for example. It's a precessional number, as 72 is the number of years it takes for the 26,000 year cycle to move one degree exactly.

As for 33, I went looking and came across an interesting concept that links it back to geometry, which should come as no surprise. Picture the Star of David, or the six-sided star. You have three triangles on both sides, which combine to form a 33. Or it can be seen as two triangles, each with 3 sides, which when interlocked, become 33. The latter seems more appropriate, as the symbol represents the joining of two triangles.

It might be the entirely wrong path. Even if it's the right one, it still would beg the question of why that particular symbol?

there is only 33 in the masonic degrees that count as 33 degrees that the real mason lodges that follow the 33 arc
From Taurus Bethlehem star to the orions belt 3 magi 3 kings

yes the star of david is the number 33
in Hebrew as the Shield of David or Magen David but look deeper in to this is use to be red as
Points to look at here that you may find good for the mind ((lunar calendar (common to the Islamic culture))
the blue star of israel should be red

rothchilds banner was the red star of david i could go on form ever

and I AM not
Gnosis is the key

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lastzoroastrianleft
With discussion of Illuminati, if such an organization exists, You must realize that very few Masons, if Masons are involved with such an organization, are really involved in Illuminati activities. My personal opinion is that Illuminati probably does exist, and that they have "infultrated" their greatest enemies (FreeMasonry) in order to give the Fraternity a bad name and eventually take it over. Just like what happened to Russia as a whole (with the killing of the czars and the institution of the bolshevik communists and atheist regim, making the once great nation look like big bullies of the world).

Nonsense. The illuminati has been in control long before Freemasonry came into existance.

I wouldn't say Freemasonry is the enemy of Illuminati, the Illuminati doesn't consider Freemasons as much of a contender in their domain. These two groups have very different interests. The Freemasons operate on the physical and astral planes, and the Illuminati operate mostly on the mental plane. That's why masons have a hard time understanding what is the illuminati, because the Illuminati Lodge is on a different plane altogether from the Masonic Lodges. No mason can find the door to the Illuminati Lodge, so for him, it just doesn't exist. He needs a building on the physical plane, with a second floor, and an altar etc..to fix his visual field onto something tangible that he can "touch" with his hands.etc..whereas the Illuminati move freely from mind to mind there being no locked doors to them on the mental plane. As Jesus said, give up "the coat and the cloak", i.e. you have to give up the physical and the astral garments to reach the domain of the Illuminati. That's the mental plane. No one can enter the Lodge of the Illuminati while wearing a body of flesh, or an emotional astral body.

It's all there in the scriptures, if ye would only read the book.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The number 3 features so prominently within Masonry due to it being the lowest number of sides that can fully enclose a space. That being the triangle. It is the first and purest geometric figure. This is why it is so popular within Ancient Egyptian art and why it was so revered by so many of the great scientists. That is also why multiples thereof were also held as sacred.
edit on 19/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by arcanaOculus
yes the star of david is the number 33

I thought it was 42.

Douglas Adams said so...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Now tell me the damned question Brother. LOL

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

It's a secret until you're 33°...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Well, hit me three times with a Gavel.
Hummm, I have a little way to go yet then. LOL
edit on 19/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Added Text

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

driley, Masonic Light, or Saurus,

It would seem to me that each of those organizations offers a maximum degree that is a multiple of 3 in some manner (12, 18, 33, 99, etc...). Is this on purpose? Maybe because there are 3 points to the compass/square? Or is this simply a coincidence?

Hi CIA Gypsy

Sorry I took so long to your request here. I finally have a bit of time, so here goes...

As you suggest, many things in Freemasonry happens in threes - three principle officers, three risings, three Masonic principles, three steps to the pedestal.

This, however, is not unique to Freemasonry, but is found in almost all mystery schools, and has massive significance in all esoteric and occult societies, and some of the reasons are given below...

In religion:
Trinities in religion are extremely common - the Trinity of Christianity, Thrice great Hermes, Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, Egyptian triad of Osiris, Isis and Horus etc. The triangle has ever been a symbol of the Almighty for this reason. The ancient Brahmins acknowledged the triple essence of the deity. The Egyptian mysteries took their oaths on the sacred delta (equilateral triangle) and referred to the sacred delta as symbolic of the Triune deity.

In Christianity:
Christianity is no different - there are three great virtues in Christianity - faith, hope and charity (love), three crosses at the crucifixion. Peter denied Jesus three times. Resurrection after three days. Three appearances of Jesus to his disciples after his resurrection. There are hundreds of triads in the Bible.

Three as a symbol:
The number three is the first number that, as written, has a beginning, middle and end - an important implication in mystery schools where symbolism plays a part.

In folklore:
Sayings like "Third time lucky", three cheers, Genies grant three wishes in Arabic lore, three riddles in fairy tales. The list is endless.

In mythology:
Three graces, three fates, three furies.

In alchemy:
Three is the number of basic substances - sulphur, salt and quicksilver.

I could go on all day, but from the examples I have provided, it should be clear that the number three has a deep association with every type of discipline - it is rich in symbolism, deeply ingrained into mythology and religious thought.

In any mystery school which draws on symbolism from ancient times, it does not make sense to omit the significance of 'three'. It can mean so many different things to so many people, which makes it a prime candidate to be used in ritual.

Please let me know if you would like even more info...

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join