It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: More Unusual Weather, Heavy Rain, Flooding, Power Out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Over night and part of today massive storms dumped incredible amounts of rain over Texas and parts of southern Oklahoma. leaving widespread flash flooding, people stranded and wind damage in places where gusts were at least 70 mph. Some 5 to 6 inches of rain fell throughout the early part of Monday in the region.....

ABCNEWS.com

June 7, 2004 ? Thunderstorms battered northern Texas with heavy rain and wind up to 70 mph during the night, flooding streets and homes and knocking out power in areas where some people were still in the dark because of last week's violent weather.

An estimated 6 inches of rain fell through early Monday in parts of Fort Worth, Denton and communities along Interstate 35, which was blocked by high water in places. Three to 5 inches of rain fell in an area from Jacksboro toward Decatur.

Wind gusted to as high as 70 mph at Saginaw late Sunday, the National Weather Service said. The storms knocked out electrical service for large areas of the Fort Worth suburbs of White Settlement and Benbrook, authorities reported....

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Starting a new week with this kind of weather after last week when much of the nation was covered with rain except the extremely dry southwest U.S.A.

Perhaps a normal summer weather pattern, or maybe a resulting climate change from the affects of global warming. Some are also speculating the the the shifting and weakening magnetic field of Earth it's self is affecting global weather patterns.

This could be nothing more than coincidence. I will keep an eye on the weather for a while longer continuing research and observations in an effort to explain what seems to be growing unusual weather patterns which could indicate some larger climate change in the future. Mother nature gives us subtile and sometimes dramatic clues.

Related ATSNN report:
Unusual Weather, Rain for most of the U.S.A.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Something sure seems to going on with the weather, maybe just some of the normal swings that happen but it seems like it's swinging towards extremes more and more.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Lemme speak up here, as a Texan: This is typical spring weather in these parts. Yeah, we get power outages and tornados -- we are in tornado alley after all. Golfball sized hail is unusual but not unknown. In spring we all expect gully washers/frog stranglers/whatever you term hard heavy rains.

It's Texas weather, guys. Been happening like this for hundreds of years. The tornados are a tad inconvenient if you live in manufactured housing, but other than that it's really not anything to get your knickers in a knot over.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The terms "Texas flood" and "Texas twister" exist for a reason. Nasty weather and storms are commonplace there (which reminds me of the Stevie Ray Vaughn albums, "Couldn't Stand the Weather" and "Texas Flood").

Some stats that should quell your fears of wild weather swings in TX:

�Greatest rainfall in a 24-hour period: 29.05", Albany (105 miles W of Ft. Worth) Aug. 4, 1978.
�Greatest rainfall in one year: 109.38", Clarksville (105 miles NE of Dallas) 1873.
�Greatest snowfall in a 24-hour period: 24.0", Plainview (45 miles N of Lubbock) Feb.3-5, 1956.
�Worst heat wave: 1980.
�Most damage from 1 tornado 442M Wichita Falls (120 mi NW of Dallas) April 10, 1979.
�Most tornadoes in 1 year: 232, 1967.
�Most tornadoes in 1 month: 124, Sep. 1967.
�Highest sustained speed SE 145 Hurricane Carla Matagorda (70 mi SW of Houston) Sep. 11, 1961.
and NE 145 Hurricane Carla Port Lavaca (70 mi NE of C. Christi) Sep. 11, 1961.
�Highest peak gust SW 180 Hurricane Celia Aransas Pass (20 m E of C. Christi) Aug. 3, 1970.

No trend is seen here except the same nonsense in the mass media about wild climate change and "global warming". Now there's the real conspiracy.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Outland]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I understand that this one event is not that unusual.. however the global trend in weather patterns and availavle water vapor is changing for some reason.. when you see the other report linked in this original one and do just a little research you may see some of what I have.. like I said sometimes the clues are small and almost meaningless otheres much more dramatic.. Watch the weather evolve off the western central coast of Africa over the next few days and weeks... if you can find it.. some of the imformation has been blocked or removed.. and also the last 6 to 8 week trend in weather anomalies will shed even more light on this subject.

This is my view... and only my view.. there is a dramatic climate change on the horizon and it will come far sooner than anyone may be willing to believe.

Please read through the thread linked above in the original report for more.

Gazz

Edit: Weather anomalies, its all about extremes, cold, hot, wet, and dry.. and when and where.. and the ocean current is a large part of the story. In the end it may all mean nothing but it can't hurt to be aware of things and do a little research. even if for nothing more than to pass time. you might be amazed at what you can discover on your own.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
There has been some strange weather this year. The first documented south Atlantic Hurricane hit Brazil at the end of March.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duke_Nukem
There has been some strange weather this year. The first documented south Atlantic Hurricane hit Brazil at the end of March.

True, but it's not easy to define what is or isn't a significant trend. For all we know, the south Atlantic may get a hurricane every few thousand years. There aren't any records for that region that go back far enough.

I'm sure that back during the "little ice age" of the 1700's, some thought that disaster was at hand. Although it lasted a long time in human regards, it was just a blink of an eye in geologic time. Our weather has known all sorts of short and long term trends.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Sounds like some people may have gone to see that "Day after tomorrow" movie this weekend. Considering some of the drought conditions some of the west and northwest have had for the last 5 years or so, I would bet that there would need to be a bunch more rain to consider there being an unusual over abundance of available water vapor. A one year anomaly is just that, one year.

Considering that we only have accurate weather records for the last 100 years or so, you could also argue that perhaps the last 100 years were abnormal.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
It's Texas weather, guys. Been happening like this for hundreds of years. The tornados are a tad inconvenient if you live in manufactured housing, but other than that it's really not anything to get your knickers in a knot over.

I have lived in Texas for 33 years and I have always held that "if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait five minutes"...

Byrd is RIGHT ON. This *IS* Texas spring weather friends...

m...

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dpglow
Sounds like some people may have gone to see that "Day after tomorrow" movie this weekend.

Nope, haven't seen it. There have been several threads on the weather and in looking at some of the government sites I saw the report on the hurricane, and there has been some rather strange weather patterns. Similar to what happens with El Nino or La Nina it looks like the rain that should be going into the drought areas is going someplace else.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outland
No trend is seen here except the same nonsense in the mass media about wild climate change and "global warming". Now there's the real conspiracy.

Tell that to the 30,000 people that died last year in Europe from the heat wave. We got too many people in these forums downplaying reports from several scientists as if they were scientists themselves. I want to see what kind credentials and scientific research they have done to be so knowledgeable about these events that makes it possible for them not to take seriously reports like the Pentagon weather nightmare scenario.

The movie The Day After Tomorrow might be exagerated, but "mostly" the science behind that movie is accurate, and that movie was pretty much taken from a book about these changes we are seen lately.

Last year 2003 was tied with 2002 as the second hottest years in recorded history. The hottest 10 years in recorded history occurred since 1990, and we keep getting "the hottest year" one after the other.

Last year we had a record 384 tornados in the Midwest in one week. This change in weather has been gradual but it has recently picked up its pace.
People in the Midwest are aware of the drought situation several states are going through, and there seems to be no respite in the near future.

You don't find one or two scientists warning about the effects of abrupt climate change anymore, but many, and they say that we seem to be in the middle of one. Abrupt climate change has been found to have happened in the past in less than a decade.

Yes, it is true that climate change is a natural event, but its also true that due to the impact of civilization, and the choices we have made related with the environment, we have probably accelerated and perhaps even worsen the one we are going through.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
AMEN Muaddib

That was simply one of the most awesome posts I have ever read!

Thank YOU!

Gazz

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The northern part of Oregon and Washington seem to be having an increase of thunder storms and tornados. This kind of weather in not supposed to be common in the Northwest. This kind of weather was unheard of ten years ago.

Again, today between 4:00 to 6:00pm PDT there appeared a rather large tropic-like storm over the whole Portland area, which was quite electrically active. Some cloud formations looked as though tornados could swell out from them. The local news reported tornado warnings in some remote towns within the region.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Just adding some information food for thought from the news media.

Temperatures in the Lower 48 states Monday June 7, 2004 ranged from 93�f in Needles, California, to 26�f in Stanley, Idaho.

Other current news from weather available in the mainstream media
New storms could threaten 2,000 more Haitians: Red Cross

Heavy rainfall in Alps prompts flood warnings in Switzerland

Colorado Snowpack Continues to Melt Away Amid Heat Wave As State's Rivers Run Low

Climate change is costing millions

Gazz

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Concerning some of those statistics, I heard during this last rash of storms about a week ago that over 200 tornadoes occured in a span of a few days...pretty much busts a couple of those records you gave...

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
When I refer to the over-hyped term "global warming", I do so as it seems to be defined these days; the belief in a phenomena of human induced global climate change. I do not deny that climate changes. I do refute the notion that any scientific proof currently exists which infers that human activity is to blame, wholly or in part. With that said...

Quote from Muaddib
Tell that to the 30,000 people that died last year in Europe from the heat wave.

The recent heatwaves in Europe were certainly no laughing matter and I would never make light of it. But any inference that human activity contributed to it is only unproven theory. The medieval warm period between the 10th and 14th centuries (rough dates) left evidence of higher temperatures for a much longer interval than what Europe knows of recent memory. Of the common factors between the two differing warm periods, CO2 is not one of them, but solar activity may be. And no, we're not talking about the eleven year cycles, but longer solar cycles that can overlap. Research the work of the late Dr. Theodor Landscheidt, Vladimir Ladma and others.

Quote from Muaddib
We got too many people in these forums downplaying reports from several scientists as if they were scientists themselves.

If I have downplayed any reports from "several scientists", I have done so by posting excerpts of reports from other scientists, among other sources. My point again is that there is no consensus of scientists because there is no consensus in the data. There is also the existance of bias created by agendas and/or greed. Dr. Michael Mann's shameful and scientifically bankrupt "hockey stick" global temperature assessment was a prime example, perhaps motivated by those who he absorbs a wealth of profit from.

Quote from Muaddib
I want to see what kind credentials and scientific research they have done to be so knowledgeable about these events that makes it possible for them not to take seriously reports like the Pentagon weather nightmare scenario.

Likewise could be asked of the "global warming" proponents on this forum. As for the Pentagon's "Abrupt Climate Change Scenario.." from October, 2003, the report even states in it's introduction,

"The scientists support this project, but caution that the scenario depicted is extreme in two fundamental ways. First, they suggest the occurrences we outline would most likely happen in a few regions, rather than on globally. Second, they say the magnitude of the event may be considerably smaller. We have created a climate change scenario that although not the most likely, is plausible, and would challenge United States national security in ways that should be considered immediately."

Quote from Muaddib
The movie The Day After Tomorrow might be exagerated, but "mostly" the science behind that movie is accurate, and that movie was pretty much taken from a book about these changes we are seen lately.

The film's scientific accuracy is very much in published debate. As for the book, the names of Art Bell and Whitley Strieber are often used in sentences combining the term "crackpot science". Add that to Strieber's conversations with space aliens and the less said, the better.

Quote from Muaddib
Last year 2003 was tied with 2002 as the second hottest years in recorded history.

This would be true, but only if "recorded history" started 150 years ago... which would be false. And a minor correction: 2003 was only the third hottest year. Oddly, this downturn (which matches the zero change in arctic ice shrinkage from 2002-2003 indicated by a link in one of your other posts elsewhere) matches the currently waning solar maximus.

Quote from Muaddib
Last year we had a record 384 tornados in the Midwest in one week. This change in weather has been gradual but it has recently picked up its pace.

According to NOAA, 384 was the preliminary number which went to 412 for the month of May, 2003. 1997 had the highest recorded number of tornadoes in the U.S.. Counts prior to the early 1980's are unreliable due to a lack of Doppler radar installations and fewer storm spotters.

Quote from Muaddib
People in the Midwest are aware of the drought situation several states are going through, and there seems to be no respite in the near future.

No connection has been found between global temperatures and drought in the western U.S.. article

Quote from Muaddib
You don't find one or two scientists warning about the effects of abrupt climate change anymore, but many, and they say that we seem to be in the middle of one.

And many others disagree.

Quote from Muaddib
Yes, it is true that climate change is a natural event, but its also true that due to the impact of civilization, and the choices we have made related with the environment, we have probably accelerated and perhaps even worsen the one we are going through.

That's a theory and it's not "true" unless it's proven. So far, it hasn't been. It's only an assumption based on some possible clues. And even that data isn't conclusive.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
SXUS99 KDEN 072227 CCA
RERDEN

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO
424 PM MDT MON JUN 07 2004

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET IN DENVER FOR JUNE 7TH...

AT 336 PM MDT...THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
REACHED 98 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE 130 YEAR OLD RECORD OF 97
DEGREES WHICH WAS SET IN 1874.

$$
FREDIN

twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu...

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

RECORD EVENT REPORT

AT 336 PM MDT...THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
REACHED 98 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE 130 YEAR OLD RECORD OF 97
DEGREES WHICH WAS SET IN 1874.

Signs people.. the signs are everywhere! don't take my word for it or the word of anyone else look for yourselves the "signs" will show you the way. I dare you to do some of your own investigative work in this topic.

Look into the changing patterns in weather anomalies over the past 10 years. See what is happening to the polar ice packs.. check out the global data and in all forms. pay close attention to the deep ocean currents mainly the atlantic.. it has slowed to a near stop.. see the implications for yourselves.. this is by no means the end of the world. but it will bring a huge change in life for all over the next 20 to 100 years.

Gazz

[edit on 8-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outland
When I refer to the over-hyped term "global warming", I do so as it seems to be defined these days; the belief in a phenomena of human induced global climate change. I do not deny that climate changes. I do refute the notion that any scientific proof currently exists which infers that human activity is to blame, wholly or in part. With that said...

Likewise could be asked of the "global warming" proponents on this forum. As for the Pentagon's "Abrupt Climate Change Scenario.." from October, 2003, the report even states in it's introduction,

The film's scientific accuracy is very much in published debate. As for the book, the names of Art Bell and Whitley Strieber are often used in sentences combining the term "crackpot science".

No connection has been found between global temperatures and drought in the western U.S.. article

That's a theory and it's not "true" unless it's proven. So far, it hasn't been. It's only an assumption based on some possible clues. And even that data isn't conclusive.

"Arctic Ice Cap Melting At Alarming Rate, NASA Says

Friday, October 24, 2003

The north polar ice cap is melting at an alarming rate because of global warming, reaching record lows this year and last, NASA researchers said today, according to Agence France-Presse.

The part of the Arctic Ocean that remains frozen all year round has decreased at a rate of 10 percent per decade since 1980, NASA researcher Josefino Comiso said (AFP/Sydney Morning Herald, Oct. 24). "

Excerpted from.
www.unwire.org...

In the below link you see some shrinkage in the Arctic between 2002-2003.

www.everybodysweather.com...

The next link is what happened at Larson C Ice shelf in 2 days in 2002.

www.everybodysweather.com...

" Researchers have suspected loss of Arctic sea ice may be caused by changing atmospheric pressure patterns over the Arctic that move sea ice around, and by warming Arctic temperatures that result from greenhouse gas buildup in the atmosphere.

Warming trends like those found in these studies could greatly affect ocean processes, which, in turn, impact Arctic and global climate, said Michael Steele, senior oceanographer at the University of Washington, Seattle. "

Excerpted from.
www.gsfc.nasa.gov...

www.spacedaily.com...

" Are we overlooking potential abrupt climate shifts?
Most of the studies and debates on potential climate change, along with its ecological and economic impacts, have focused on the ongoing buildup of industrial greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and a gradual increase in global temperatures. This line of thinking, however, fails to consider another potentially disruptive climate scenario. It ignores recent and rapidly advancing evidence that Earth�s climate repeatedly has shifted abruptly and dramatically in the past, and is capable of doing so in the future. "

Excerpted from.
www.whoi.edu...

" Evidence of Abrupt Climate Change
Researchers first became intrigued by abrupt climate change when they discovered striking evidence of large, abrupt, and widespread changes preserved in paleoclimatic archives. Interpretation of such proxy records of climate�for example, using tree rings to judge occurrence of droughts or gas bubbles in ice cores to study the atmosphere at the time the bubbles were trapped�is a well-established science that has grown much in recent years. "

Excerpted from.
books.nap.edu...

" American Geophysical Society Meeting,
San Francisco, December 2001

Abrupt climate change likely
Report calls for research and policy to cope with volatile climate.
13 December 2001 "

Excerpted from.
www.nature.com...

There are also theories that say that underwater volcanoes seem to also be a cause for abrupt climate change.

" A previously unknown underwater volcano has been discovered off the coast of Antarctica, the National Science Foundation said today.

The finding helps explain mariners' historical reports of discoloured water in the area, the agency said. Material from underwater volcanoes is known to cause discolouration in water over them.

The presence of a volcano was first suggested in sonar studies during a research cruise in January, but scientists were unable to return to the stormy waters of the region until April. "

Excerpted from.
www.theage.com.au...

Here are maps and information on the drought in the Midwest.

climate-science.org...

Outland, the information from more credible, and different, agencies seem to point that human induced greenhouse gases are part of the problem.

BTW Art and Strieber's book was released when scientists were still very reserved about talking on this same subject. So they were one of the few to bring up this real problem to the public and that counts for something. They gathered information from different sources that seemed to point that we were getting weather anomalies and they seemed to be increasing, which has been true til now.

Another thing, I do not claim to have the credentials to come up with scientific proof of abrupt climate change and that we are going throu one, some members and i just post the information from several, more credible agencies about this. We pretty much just put two and two together.

Some agencies differ as to the causes behind abrupt climate change, but they all agree it is real and happening as we speak.

[edit on 9-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
ap.tbo.com...

"JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - Two volcanoes in separate parts of Indonesia shot forth plumes of smoke and showers of stones on Tuesday, killing two hikers and forcing the evacuation of 5,000 villagers, police and officials said.
The two hikers were killed when they were hit by hot rocks expelled by Mount Bromo in east Java, said vulcanologist Atje Purbawinata.

At least seven other hikers were injured by the blast, which sent a plume of smoke 9,900 feet into the sky, officials said.

Bromo is popular with foreign tourists. Metro TV station reported one of the dead was a Malaysian citizen. Police said they were checking the report.

Many buildings in the nearby towns of Malang and Probolinggo were covered by a light coating of ash. There as no evacuation order, in part because the slopes of the 7641-foot mountain are sparsely populated.

In North Sulawesi, in the far northeast of the country, at least 5,000 villagers were evacuated from the vicinity of a second volcano, Mount Awu, after it spewed smoke and ash, local government official Barelang said.

The villagers joined about 7,000 other villagers evacauted to the nearby town of Tahuna. They had been there since Friday, when the mountain on Sangihe island first began rumbling.

"We are just waiting for the big explosion," said Barelang, who goes by a single name.

He said the villagers were living in government offices and other public buildings in the town, 1,350 miles northeast of Jakarta. Officials have distributed rice, blankets and instant noodles, he said.

Ash from Awu - which lies just south of the Philippines' Mindanao Island - has covered nearby beaches and villages, he said. Officials monitoring the mountain have said a major eruption is possible in the coming days.

In August 1966, the 4,330-foot volcano erupted, killing 40 people. Awu last erupted in October 1992.

Indonesia has more active volcanoes than any other country, and minor eruptions are common. "

top topics

<<   2 >>

join