It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill More Than 10X Greater Than Thought: Experts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Come on America, if these people can't tell you the truth about a white stain on a blue dress do you think they are gonna tell you the truth on this matter? When will people wake up and realize we are always being treated like a bunch of kids, time to man up and hold all of these govt officials responsible. Find a couple of good strong tree branches and I will find you some rope, lets take this world back from these corrupt people that only care about themselves.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967

Originally posted by wdkirk
It is Hurricane season too......I wonder what would happen if a hurricane grabs this stuff and spins it round and round.......

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!
I was talking to a friend at work today about that very thing. That oil could find its' way hundreds of miles inland.

Now this is right out of a sci-fi moive but what if the Hurricane was to catch fire! It would burn out in a few minutes at the most but that would be wild to see.

By the way I hate spiders.

[edit on 5/13/2010 by fixer1967]

I'm not much of a bible quoter but I think this is relevant to your post.

Revelation 8:7

The first angel blew his trumpet, and there followed hail and fire, mixed with blood, and these were thrown upon the earth. And a third of the earth was burned up, and a third of the trees were burned up, and all green grass was burned up.

Source = The Bible

Oil catching fire in lightning storms? Just an interesting thought.

Probably not though.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I couldn't believe my eyes a little bit earlier when I read a statement from one of the BP reps saying that this is a tiny leak compared to how big the ocean is. I mean come on!

To tell you the truth this is very bad. The whole reason why this happened is because that rig was an experiment. It was an experiment in deep drilling, something BP or anybody but maybe the Russians ON LAND have any experience at all with. They had no idea what they were getting into drilling to 35000 ft. The pressure was so tremendous when they stuck oil it broke all of their safety valves. Drilling so deep and finding oil, like the Russians, proves that oil IS NOT from fossil fuels but abiotic.

Anyway I forgot what, but I saw some crazy estimates about the amount of pressure coming outta that broken pipe. Its way more pressurized than a normal well. Another unknown BP didn't expect.

I just can't believe the lack of Obama's response to this. At this point it really doesn't matter who's fault it is. This volcano of oil needs to be plugged before the gulf and whole eastern seaboard is ruined. What a leader Obama is.... 'Uhhh its BP's fault, let them deal with it'. Great thinking Obama. you tool...

But really the pressure is so immense think about it. How are a couple of robots going to do anything to seal this thing. When anything gets near it, it will just shoot it back out like a super pressurized firehose.

To me it seems the only option is the most risky option. You need to bomb it shut. The thing is you may just make the hole worse. But I don't see any other way of sealing this thing.

I feel so safe in the hands of Obama and BP.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

If you had done any of your research instead of having simply a visceral reaction to the source, NPR which isn't exactly known for lying, then you would have realized that NPR is not the source, its simply one of the first to report it... many others have reported on this since with their own independent research.

Have you done any research? or are you just stirring the pot here?

As one poster said previously

deny ignorance, that means add facts to the discussion

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to HunkaStunka

Uhh how about New Scientist as a source. Are they credible enough for you? Scientist are estimating 56,000 to 84,000 a day.

Guess how much oil is spilling into the Gulf of Mexico

I am by no means a liberal... quite the contrary... but this has nothing to do with partisan politics no matter how much you might want to turn it in to that.

THIS IS BAD from any view

[edit on 14-5-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Hey guys have you seen the comment section on the NPR article. Man do the dis-info agents hop on news fast. You got guys claiming they are scientists on scene and "if anything the offical estimate is higher then the offical numbers." LOL

The sad thing is. People will listen to the random commentors instead of the researched article.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PplVSNWO

It's not just NPR, CNN also reported it and had the guy on that made the calculations.
dprogram.net...
His name is Steve Wereley, he is the source not CNN or NPR.

Like I said, he could be right, but it's still not the environmental armageddon that everyone is led to believe that it is. Oil is a naturally-occuring substance, part of the environment.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Im still interested in the fact that PB own the company that there buying the oil breakdown stuff from.
I wonder how much this detergent sells for a barrel.
My last check saw the price of oil dropping ( to my surprise ) but if what there using in the cleanup costs more then the oil then there's good reason for greedy PB to continue letting this go on.
There making money all round.
On the environmental side I think this is a non comparable event and the only way to know how bad it will get is to know how much PB estimated they could take from there but Im not sure if we can access that information.
As for the methane, alot will be reabsorbed by the ocean before reaching the surface but if its still in high concentrations then we best stop smoking.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
its natural for it to stay in the ground. yes there are cases of some of it bubbling up, but not at 160,000psi from a un-naturally occuring pipe in the ground that goes down 7 miles into a highly pressurized cavity of oil.

oil is also carcinogenic.

uhhh take a look at the most recent satellite photos. does that look natural to you. this is an exxon valdez spills every four days. and we all saw how natural and healthy that was

since its so natural I assume you'll be vacationing on the pristine beaches of Louisianna this summer.

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

It's not just NPR, CNN also reported it and had the guy on that made the calculations.
dprogram.net...

Like I said, he could be right, but it's still not the environmental armageddon that everyone is led to believe that it is. Oil is a naturally-occuring substance, part of the environment.
:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by insideNSA

its natural for it to stay in the ground. yes there are cases of some of it bubbling up, but not at 160,000psi from a un-naturally occuring pipe in the ground that goes down 7 miles into a highly pressurized cavity of oil.

uhhh take a look at the most recent satellite photos. does that look natural to you. this is an exxon valdez spills every four days. and we all saw how natural and healthy that was

since its so natural I assume you'll be vacationing on the pristine beaches of Louisianna this summer.

dprogram.net...

:

I wouldn't vacation in Lousiana even if there weren't 900 oil rigs off the coast.

By the way, here's a little grist for the mill:

Gulf Coast Spill's Big Mystery

What say you?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Speaking of a hurricane...

makes me think "fuel-air bomb"

Brrrr...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Ok...some people need to calm down for sure.

Dont get me wrong this is a really bad problem...but a hurricane catching fire?!?! Thats not how clouds and storms form.

Oil would not become part of a cloud system/hurricane system. Its just water in a hurricane (with a little bit of dust and dirt for the water to adhere to.)

The closest you could get to that kind of situation would be a tornado/water spout/(oil) spout, and even then it would have to be over a very high concentration of oil for a period of time...nearly impossible for that much oil to be concentrated in the air to catch fire.

Now the wind and tidal surge is a legitimate issue blowing oil IN the water onto shore....but not raining oil.

Sorry, just really bothered me to see fear of a hurricane of fire.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aussie_Rock

As for the methane, alot will be reabsorbed by the ocean before reaching the surface but if its still in high concentrations then we best stop smoking.

Like h3ll if i'm gonna live by their terms. i'm gonna die by mine.

Still, do we know how much crude this thing produced before the mishap or how would one find out?
Note: math is not my strong suit so if you tell me f @ r/2 = 567 i will know less than when i made the post. Pleese be gentle.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Some people here are really pips.

Here are three seperate scientists from very distinguished universities like Perdue, yet they don't want to believe it.

They instead would rather trust BP, Halliburton and Transocean.

They would rather listen to Rush, Hannity and Beck instead of actual scientists.

They would seriously and with a straight face say "oil is a natural thing" so its ok that it is no big deal. Interestingly enough these are the same people who think Global Climate Change is a hoax as well. But enough about these people and how simple science eludes them.

I live on the Treasure Coast of Florida and this mess will make its way to my very back yard.

The simple point is this, BP kept video footage of this wreck because they damn well knew scientists would be able to measure the flow accurately and independently. They knew their figures were plain lies and now they really have to meet the rage of Americans.

Moreover, any fool here going on about how they can look at the video and discredit actual scientists with all the equipment, highly sophisticated programs and experience in these matters by saying "Oh look its mostly natural gas" has got to be the biggest idiot here.

Scientists make a habit of making sure they are pretty right about stuff before putting their credibility on the line. Where as Glen Beck could give a ****.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by XKrossX
Ok...some people need to calm down for sure.

Dont get me wrong this is a really bad problem...but a hurricane catching fire?!?! Thats not how clouds and storms form.

Oil would not become part of a cloud system/hurricane system. Its just water in a hurricane (with a little bit of dust and dirt for the water to adhere to.)

The closest you could get to that kind of situation would be a tornado/water spout/(oil) spout, and even then it would have to be over a very high concentration of oil for a period of time...nearly impossible for that much oil to be concentrated in the air to catch fire.

Now the wind and tidal surge is a legitimate issue blowing oil IN the water onto shore....but not raining oil.

Sorry, just really bothered me to see fear of a hurricane of fire.

Not the oil, the methane which is saturating the water as hydrate.This has a high potential of being released as a large vapor cloud of methane.
The low pressure center of a hurricane would accelerate such a release and given the volume of gas, cause a large fireball or ,yes, even a sustained burn..
Also FWIW this is NOT the first such event to occur as in high volume methane release from the ocean. The first of such proportions while humans have thought they ran the world but hardly in archeological history or paleontological record.
The question is not IF there will be a gas release but rather how and how much.
N.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Z.S.P.V.G.
youtube link to vid that has been analyzed: www.youtube.com...

Personally I think this isn't even the worst section. I still contend that there is a gapping chasm down there erupting oil like a volcano.

I agree with you. Of course there's a chasm, where else would the oil and gas be?
What worries me is this:

How much oil has to come out of the before the pressure on the ceiling releases enough for the weight of it forces a collapse releasing te rest of the oil all at once?

This could get a hell of a lot worse.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
www.blog.thesietch.org...

Here is one of the best maps I've found. I had NO idea there were that many oil platforms in the gulf. This map also put into perspetive for me how big the spill actually is.

I'm sickened.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

[..... Oil is a naturally-occurring substance, part of the environment.

So are lava, ozone, cosmic rays, and radioactivity. But we would be wrong to disregard them as inconsequential to the lives of those nearest them.

The question is not how will the earth survive this... of course it will.

It is the ecological balance upon which we base our society, our load bearing capacity, if you will. We need to be able to trade, to grow and harvest food, and to live without undue duress due to chemical changes in the environment.

No disrespect intended, I understand that pronouncing this as a harbinger of the end smacks of extreme thinking. But in the end, the pollutants are still there and the local communities are subject to them - not by their own doing, but by what appears to be the standard drive for maximizing corporate profits.

And in an environment where the government is as corporate as the offender, we are right to scrutinize everything they do and say. Profit is not an acceptable excuse to lie, cheat, or take reckless chances.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
If this gusher can't be stopped any time soon, and the oil starts to pollute the wider oceans, we could be in REAL (extinction level) trouble anyway

Since a good percentage of the planet's atmospheric oxygen is produced by tiny ocean plankton, what happens if the pollution reaches a level that adversely affects the production of atmospheric oxygen by said organisms?

This could be the wake-up call the people of this planet need ... if we can stay on top of it.

Just a thought from a layman (non scientist) ... and most likely wrong (I hope)

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Maybe some of it is going here:

US oil spill size hugely underestimated

or here:

La. officials: 8-inch tar balls washed up on beach

Do you work for BP? You really crack me up with the 'not that bad'.
The media is controlled by the oil people hence the play-down with articles like you found. But sorry, you can't argue with the numbers. And for every article put out by BP with bogus info. I can find 10 with real info.

70,000 barrels a day!!!
1 exxon valdez spill every 4 days!
currently covering 4000 square miles!

Are you serious when you say its not that bad? How much is BP paying you?

Originally posted by insideNSA

dprogram.net...

:

I wouldn't vacation in Lousiana even if there weren't 900 oil rigs off the coast.

By the way, here's a little grist for the mill:

Gulf Coast Spill's Big Mystery

What say you?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join