It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill More Than 10X Greater Than Thought: Experts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A scientific evaluation of a film from the leak is a serious discussion point and being able to ignore (root word in ignorance) is not manly, it's stupidity.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by HimWhoHathAnEar]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Here is another example of BP benefiting from the spill. This is unconscionable.

www.nytimes.com...

So far, BP has told federal agencies that it has applied more than 400,000 gallons of a dispersant sold under the trade name Corexit and manufactured by Nalco Co., a company that was once part of Exxon Mobil Corp. and whose current leadership includes executives at both BP and Exxon. And another 805,000 gallons of Corexit are on order, the company said, with the possibility that hundreds of thousands of more gallons may be needed if the well continues spewing oil for weeks or months. But according to EPA data, Corexit ranks far above dispersants made by competitors in toxicity and far below them in effectiveness in handling southern Louisiana crude.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Discuss the topic - not each other.

It is a simple and relatively easy thing to do.

If some think this is a true impending disaster, and others don't, so be it.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It is Hurricane season too......I wonder what would happen if a hurricane grabs this stuff and spins it round and round.......

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wdkirk

Yeah, you're right! That would really 'mix it up'
I know that all the oceans of the world eventually cycle all the way around, so the distance this could travel is enormous.

Then there's the pulling the oil on land part of that as well.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk
It is Hurricane season too......I wonder what would happen if a hurricane grabs this stuff and spins it round and round.......

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!
I was talking to a friend at work today about that very thing. That oil could find its' way hundreds of miles inland.

Now this is right out of a sci-fi moive but what if the Hurricane was to catch fire! It would burn out in a few minutes at the most but that would be wild to see.

By the way I hate spiders.

[edit on 5/13/2010 by fixer1967]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
omg halliburton is reallt going to get slamed for this on! there not getting away with this mess!

+1 more 
posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Regardless of interpersonal debate, lets look at what has happened here...

First the story was that there was an accident but don't worry, no oil is spilling into the gulf.

Then there was oil spilling into the gulf, but don't worry, it's not very much.

Now there is alot of oil spilling into the gulf, but don't worry, we are taking steps.

At what point do people open their eyes? This story has been lied about since day one and yet there is a large group who still seem willing to keep their heads in the sand.

I have one question for those who actually live in the area:

What are the underwater currents like?

Everything I see is about oil floating to the surface, slowly moving towards the shorelines. In my region we have areas where the undertow and ocean currents have been known to grab people and objects and carry them for miles out sea; at the depth that this leak is occuring at what are the currents like?

How much of this oil is being drug way out of the area before it ever hits the surface? Are we going to hear at some point about a mysterious oil slick seen by pilots in the middle of the Atlantic? I can't help but think about the garbage patch in the Pacific where all the crap thrown into the oceans is accumulating (something that is also WAY under reported).

I live in Atlantic Canada, if this gets really bad (like there are reliable estimates that it will) not only will the fisheries in my area be affected (some of the richest in the world btw) but the tides will bring this stuff into my community; the geography of my area will act like a natural funnel, everything that comes up the coast will end up on my doorstep.

One more question: All the focus is on this one leak, but it is admitted that there are at least two more, when are we going to get information on those leaks?

Or is that being held in reserve, to be included in a future story update?

[edit on 13-5-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

phytoplankton are responsible for much of the oxygen present in the Earth's atmosphere – half of the total amount produced by all plant life

en.wikipedia.org...

How much oil is required to kill phytoplankton? What are the possibilities of Oil getting into the Atlantic and spreading beyond?

science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

It would not burn up in a few minutes.

The overall temperature of the water would increase by several degrees if they actually tried lighting some of this oil off. A hurricane hitting an extremely warm section of water is bad news, I don't think I have to explain this much. It could easily turn a Cat 3 into a Cat 4 or 5, just before hitting shore (Katrina).

Then there is the question of how such an immense amount of oil would react in a hurricane. It could possibly increase the rotation of the storm.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Purdue University Prof Interviewed by Anderson Cooper.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Now this is right out of a sci-fi moive but what if the Hurricane was to catch fire! It would burn out in a few minutes at the most but that would be wild to see.
reply to post by fixer1967

Bingo. That is exactly what I was thinking about, actually a dream I had and posted here on ATS a long time ago, I wrote about the dream because it felt important, prolific if you will, I won't go into the details but what I dreamed, and the events with this spill right now, could turn into the world's biggest nightmare, and burn for a long long time. I believe with every ounce of my being that we are only seeing the tip of what is to come with this catastrophe.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I've been doing the math with the 70,000 barrels a day...

Revisiting some of my other threads, the implications are shocking.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
reply to post by bakadesu

look at it this way, it has been enogh time that the beaches oughta be coated in oil by now right?

how long before yous guys will actually begin to see you were played by the msm? 20 days (been there) ...30 days?? ...40???

seriously, if the disaster has not occured in another 20 days I WANT AN APOLOGY!!!

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

Firstly, the nature of this 'leak' is different from almost every leak I've researched. Secondly: THIS IS NOT CRUDE OIL PROCESSED AND PUT ON A SHIP. It may not look exactly like Valdez where we see gobs of black gooey oil over everything. Many of the dead sealife have no sign of crude oil contact... yet they are dead. I live in the region. Sea turtles do not wash up on the shore enmass. Just does not happen.

If you think 10mil gallons of the deepest, darkest oil this planet has seen flowing into the gulf every four days for over 3 weeks isn't an epic disaster worthy of our attention, prayers, speculations, and fears, then you are simply wrong.

If you do not see the cover-up and disinfo campaign then you are the one who owes an apology. It is impossible for a person to make an honest, calculated statement about this disaster without realizing that this is a National Security Event of the highest order and is not to be taken lightly.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This is a great thread.. I hope it makes it to the home page.
S&F

Thanks!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Congressman to launch inquiry on how much oil is gushing into Gulf

A U.S. congressman said he will launch a formal inquiry Friday into how much oil is gushing into the Gulf of Mexico after learning of independent estimates that are significantly higher than the amount BP officials have provided.

Rep. Edward Markey, a Democrat from Massachusetts, said he will send a letter to BP and ask for more details from federal agencies about the methods they are using to analyze the oil leak. Markey, who chairs a congressional subcommittee on energy and the environment, said miscalculating the spill's volume may be hampering efforts to stop it.

"I am concerned that an underestimation of the oil spill's flow may be impeding the ability to solve the leak and handle the management of the disaster," he said in a statement Thursday. "If you don't understand the scope of the problem, the capacity to find the answer is severely compromised."

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Calculations of size of Gulf spill are questioned

“The government has a responsibility to get good numbers,” Dr. MacDonald said. “If it’s beyond their technical capability, the whole world is ready to help them.”

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I wonder if the US government or any other government will protect BP. Probably. I mean the company should be dismantled now, it can't pay back the damages.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join