It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing data causing rig reconstruction mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Missing data causing rig reconstruction mystery

news.yahoo.com

While some data were being transmitted to shore for safekeeping right up until the April 20 blast, officials from Transocean, the rig owner, told Congress that the last seven hours of its data are missing and that all written logs were lost in the explosion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Halliburton & the Oil Spill

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I know there are some people who have professed that Haliburton Purchased Boots & Coots for ulterior motives. The Wall Street Journal reported online that Haliburton was being investigated for the Rig explosion, whatever that means.

Of course this story goes deeper....

However, when Transocean claims that they have lost the data of 7 hours before the explosion. All seems a bit more curious.

"I can just tell you that the Halliburton hands were scratching their heads," said Buzbee, whose clients include one of the Halliburton crew members responsible for cementing the well to prepare for moving the drilling rig to another site.

"The facts are as they are," he said. "The rig is $500,000 a day. There are bonuses for finishing early."

More investigation to come...

AAC

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-5-2010 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

[edit on 13-5-2010 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Consider these 2 facts:

1) No one in charge knows who gave "the order" to spray water on the rig for days on end until it sank. Experts believe it was the spraying of water that sank the rig.

2) Transocean is using an law from 1851 that limits their liability of the disaster to only what the value of the SUNKEN vessel is worth. That value is $27 million. If it had not sunk, it was worth over $500 million. Their insurance pays them $580 million. After they pay the $27million, they will have a profit of $533 million.

Now read those 2 facts AGAIN. Are we getting the picture yet? Combine that with this "missing data" story you posted, and the picture becomes crystal clear. The destruction and subsequent sinking of the rig was a planned operation by Transocean to make 3 years profit in 1 quarter.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I don't think this was a planed disaster.

Listen to this www.marklevinshow.com...

And read this email that i got.

TALKED TO MY SON, HE IS AT HOME NOW, AND IN GOOD SHAPE, WHAT I WAS TOLDWAS>

THEY HAD SET A 9-5/8 TAPERED PRODUCTION LINER, DID THEIR CEMENT JOB, HAD> POSITIVE TESTED, AND ALSO NEGITIVE TESTED, THEY WERE GOING TO SET ABALANCED> PLUG AROUND 3000' BELOW THE WELL HEAD WHICH WOULD BE AT ABOUT 8000', THE> SENIOR COMPANY MAN WANTED TO SET THE BALANCED PLUG IN MUD, BUT THEENGINEERS> WANTED TO DISPLACE WITH WATER PRIOR TO SETTING BALANCED PLUG, SO THEY> DISPLACED FROM 3000' BELOW MUD LINE, AND WERE GETTING READY TO SET PLUG.THE> DERRICKMAN CALLED THE DRILLER AND SAID HE NEEDED HELP, HE HAD MUD GOING> EVERYWHERE, AND ABOUT THIS TIME THE DRILL FLOOR DISAPEARED, THEN THERE WAS> AN EXPLOSION, THEN A SECOND EXPLOSION.>> THE FLAMES ARE NOW GOING STRAIGHT UP ALLOWING EVACUATION OF MEN, THEN YOU> KNOW THE REST.>> THE HANDS THAT ARE MISSING ARE THE ONES THAT WERE ON THE DRILL FLOOR AND> PUMP ROOM. YOU KNOW THE RESULTS OF THAT. THIS ALL TOOK PLACE IN LESS THANA> MINUTE.>> RIG WAS EVACUATED IN ABOUT 25 MINUTES.>> IT IS BELIVED THAT THE SEAL ASSEMBLY AT THE WELL HEAD GAVE UP. IF THAT IS> THE CASE AND THEY WOULD HAVE SET THE BALANCED PLUG IN MUD THEN DISPLACEDTHE> RISER, IT WOULD ONLY HAVE DELAYED WHAT HAPPENED BY A COUPLE OF HOURS.>> GAS MUST HAVE CHANNELLED THROUGH THE CEMENT JOB AND UP THE BACK SIDE OFTHE> 9-5/8 PRODUCTION CASING.>> THIS IS ALL I KNOW AT PRESENT.

This disaster was do to poor calculation and judgment form the engineers aboard the rig.

The mistake these engineers made was that they took away one of the barriers that must be in place. A well always must have at least two separate barriers at all times. In this case the tested cement plug being one barrier, and the mud fluid as the second barrier. And than you have the BOP as the third. But the primary barrier is the mud, because the mud is always observed by the derrickman at the shakers/pits. This is where they observe the return rate of the mud. This is where they can observe loss or gain of fluid.

When they displaced the casing from mud to sea water, by pumping sea water down through the drill pipe. The hydrostatic pressure from the sea water is less than the hydrostatic pressure form the mud. This allowed the gas to migrate through the cement plug between the drill pipe and casing. And the gas migrated and settled under the closed rams on the annular preventer on the BOP. When the displacement was completed. They must open the annular preventer to be able to retract the pipe back to surface. The annular preventer is a ram that closes around pipe and seals it of. When they opened the annular preventer the gas pressure pushed all the fluids in the marine raiser up towards the drill Flore. And when the fluid was pushed out the gas will fallow.

EDIT to add:

The the Shaker is the place where the gas would first appear because that's where the mud must be circulated out from the well. Because they pump sea water down the pipe and take the return through the shakers.

They should never have opened the annular preventer on the BOP. They should have closed everything in and circulated the gas under the annular through the rig choke to the flair boom as they would have done if there was a kick.

EDIT to add: These reservoir engineers would most likely be BP employed workers. And BP do have a record of trying to cover up their own mistakes.

I have worked for BP a lot. I know this first hand. If you write a RUH on a BP employee the RUH would most likely end up in the trash. RUH'es are bad for business.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

new topics

top topics

join