It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petty Dems hesitate to honor Reagan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It seems that some Democrats are so petty and partisan that they cannot even put their diiferences aside in respect for the passing of a former president:

BAD APPLES
Give some Democrats credit: many of the comments released by party factotums on the death of President Ronald Reagan at least attempted to be gracious. But, while some of the words may have been magnanimous, the actions of some Democrats was not.

In California, according to a Democratic House leadership staffer, Democratic House leader Nancy Pelosi's office refused until late in the day West Coast time to prepare any remarks by the leader on the passing of the President.
:
Pelosi's office also nixed sending flowers to the funeral home where the president's body was being prepared for burial.

Petty Dems

Sad that they have to be so petty.

:shk:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
seemed like nixon was giving more respect and i thought he was hated more than reagan...or am i wrong on this???

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yes, but there was a different crop of Democrats at that time.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Regardless of whether or not you agreed with his politics, this disrespect is bad form. I'm not saying they should fawn all over him, because flipping your positions just because he's passed isn't needed either, but paying respects to him as a man and someone of respect is. The fact that someone at Dem. Nat. HQ wouldn't let the flags be flown at half staff until Bush ordered was pretty needless and a sign of just overall poor judgement.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well, prankMonkey, it was a different time. Maybe the dems felt more gracious toward Nixon because of his Presidential disgrace? More likely, people these days are more mean-spirited.
Remember the "fellowship" on Capitol Hill on September 12, 2001? Do you think it was sincere?

Dissing Ronnie is just plain bad. Even worse than dissing Jimmy Carter would be.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
And you wonder why republicans hate liberal democrats. Oh well when they pass into the after life they will be poked in the arse by Satan's trident. And by the way Nancy Pelosi is a far left idiot. And I didn't like Clinton much as a president but if he passed away I would honor him the way a president should be honored, with dignity and respect. Not as a democrat or republican.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The passing of a public figure as a president, should be respected not matter what political party he was on or what political party you belong to.

To be a president of a country like US is an honor and a job that only a few great men in history have been given too.

I was not very happy with him as a president but needless to say he was in power for 8 years and that if enough to have him in the greatest rewards and considerations.

Now a live president that is another thing.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Why can't people drop the Democrat vs Republican bs to honor the passing of a president. It's about respect, I mean come on.

"A call went out around mid-day on the East Coast that Reagan might be in serious condition, and that party leaders should be ready. But Pelosi's people basically said they couldn't' be bothered. [Democratic whip] Steny Hoyer had to get them in line. We got the impression they just didn't want to say anything that would be construed as supportive of a Republican."

They don't pay respect because they think it'll look like supporting the Republicans? Give me a f'ing break.

I hate how politics has become so much about Democrats vs Republicans that people forget about the actual important things such as the issues, and in this case the passing of a great president. Nothing (for the most part) can be dealt with in politics without "Democrats suck this, Republicans are gay that." I was just talking to my friend earlier about how people (again, for the most part) can't have a discussion about politics without it turning into an insult contest.

Can't people put aside their differences for one day to honor and respect a great man?

Pelosi's office also nixed sending flowers to the funeral home where the president's body was being prepared for burial.

I guess not...

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It's not a federal offence to dislike someone you know.

Oh yes, he died, so lets all lie and pretend like we actually care or liked him at all.

You guys still have freedom of speech, right?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
It's not a federal offence to dislike someone you know.

Oh yes, he died, so lets all lie and pretend like we actually care or liked him at all.

You guys still have freedom of speech, right?

He was a United States president. Even if you don't like him, you should still respect him. You don't have to, but come on. These are high ranking politicians, they should atleast pay their respects. Of course its not a federal offense, but it is a good gesture to pay your respects to someone who dies. Not paying your respects because you don't want people to think you're supporting "the enemy" is pretty selfish and ridiculous in my eyes.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I noticed the same thing on CNN.
Robert Novak, was havng a Real hard time saying anything
decent. He was mostly disagreeing with the nice things that
the other CNN reporters were saying. He's not a poilitcian, but
he's obviously an ultra liberal reporter/host..

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I noticed the same thing on CNN.
Robert Novak, was havng a Real hard time saying anything
decent. He was mostly disagreeing with the nice things that
the other CNN reporters were saying. He's not a poilitcian, but
he's obviously an ultra liberal reporter/host..

Just for a heads-up, Bob Novak is ultra-conservative, who acts as a mouth-piece for the Bush administration. He's the one who blew the cover of a CIA agent who was trying to find WMD's because her husband debunked that Saddam and uranium hoax. He is far from liberal.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
But I guess you're blind to that, huh? Calling for observance & solemn reverence, as if we're in some monarchy & royal lineage just kicked?
Reagan was a horrible president in every way except orator; then, in that sole category, he was outstanding.
People forget that he set the world back in a cure for AIDS & that his VP Bush, upon becoming president, had to reverse Regean's horrible economic policies in order to keep the US solvent.

I see nothing wrong with having nothing nice to say & staying quiet.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
well at least the petty democrats aren't bad talking reagan, but others are. Just because he died, doesn't mean the world has to stop still and every one should be obliged to mourn his death. It is sad that he had to spend his last days and years in the condition that he did, but it doesn't change people's opinion on the person he was before leaving the public eye.

Cuba Lambasts Says Former President Ronald Reaganshould "never Have Been Born"
Cuba harshly criticized former President Ronald Reagan and his policies on Monday, saying he should "never have been born."
In the first reaction to Reagan's death from the communist government, Radio Reloj said:

"As forgetful and irresponsible as he was, he forgot to take his worst works to the grave," the government radio station said.

"He, who never should have been born, has died," the radio said.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
to me its about being respectful towards the dead.

now certainly if someone wants to be a cad and be spiteful and hateful towards a guy who is now dead then they have some serious issues and need to get help for them but certainly they have the right to be as negative and as hateful as they want.

reagan did a lot of good while he did things that werent so good. then again have any of us done only good? i dont think so. so should we be judged on only our wrong doings?

its one thing to dislike his words ideals or what he did but that doesnt mean you have to hate the guy. in fact its dont right insane to hate a person because of SOME of the things they've done. i guess this is the same mentality people use to wish death upon other people they dont like. i guess its the same mentality people use to justify turning their backs on other people simply because of their ideology. i guess its the same mentality people use to bash insult and name call each other. if acting like a child and being mean and spiteful to a dead person makes you feel better go right ahead. acting this way or thinking this doesnt change anything and it never will so anyone who wants to waste their life with such negativity has my blessing. in fact why stop here? go visit him and spit on him! certainly if we're entitled to hate him then certainly we can spit on him...but wait! lets take his corpse out and burn him at the stake too! after all hatred seems to be the great justifier these days...right?!?!?!?!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
They are petty mainly from being blinded by their own inner hatreds and trying to vent it by blaming others.

Rather bizarre to lamblast the dead and on a karmic standpoint; what comes around goes around in these cases, and the downward spiral their trajectory.

Hypocrisy runs rampant through many mouths and polarizing the nation through ego-based rantings is a ticket to it's collapse.

Fall of the Wall, the petty forgot that too....

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You folks slay me. Have you no shame. You/Yours make mean-spirited backbiting slanders on others with out proof or example��..Folks as this are the slime of the earth���.

.......and then other accept what you say as true????????????

SHOCKING, MORE SO THEN YOUR nefarious ways............

Here is what really happened������..

Kerry reaction to death of Ronald Reagan
It is a measure of the enormity of Ronald Reagan's presence on the American political landscape that U.S. Senator John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, issued the following statement earlier today from his home on Beacon Hill.
�Ronald Reagan's love of country was infectious. Even when he was breaking Democrats hearts, he did so with a smile and in the spirit of honest and open debate. Despite the disagreements, he lived by that noble ideal that at 5pm we weren't Democrats or Republicans, we were Americans and friends. President Reagan and Tip O'Neill fought hard and honorably on many issues, and sat down together to happily swap jokes and the stories of their lives. The differences were real, but because of the way President Reagan led, he taught us that there is a big difference between strong beliefs and bitter partisanship.
�He was the voice of America in good times and in grief. When we lost the brave astronauts in the Challenger tragedy, he reminded us that, �Nothing ends here; our hopes and our journeys continue.�
�Now, his own journey has ended-a long and storied trip that spanned most of the American century-and shaped one of the greatest victories of freedom. Today in the face of new challenges, his example reminds us that we must move forward with optimism and resolve. He was our oldest president, but he made America young again.
�Our prayers are with his family, and the wife he loved in a way all the world could see. And to the end, she loved him with courage and complete devotion. She helped all of us better understand the cruel disease that took him away before it took his life, and what we must do to prevent and cure it.
�Teresa and I and our family extend our deepest sympathies to Nancy Reagan and the Reagan family. Today, from California to Maine - �from sea to shining sea� - Americans will bow their heads in prayer and gratitude that President Reagan left such an indelible stamp on the nation he loved.�
www.capecodonline.com...
(IT SHOULD BE NOTED THE KERRY STATEMENT WAS ISSUED MORE THEN 4 HOURS BEFORE BUSH GOT AROUND TO MAKING A PUBLIC STATEMENT.)
ALSO:

Kerry Postpones Campaign to Honor Reagan
www.allheadlinenews.com...

NB I DEMAND you either PROVE the charge you make in you subject line or edit it to Reflect reality.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by gmcnulty]

[edit on 7-6-2004 by gmcnulty]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
BT, not only are you totally blind to history and are in a very small and myopic minority, you are also without any tact or honor. I wash my hands and feet of you. I suggest you just go and take a bath.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
For once we agree, author is out of line ................

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yeah, talk about disrespectful. This article shows just how low some liberals will go.

Ronald Reagan said that intercontinental ballistic missiles (not that there are any non-ballistic missiles�a corruption of language that isn't his fault) could be recalled once launched.
In the Oval Office, Ronald Reagan told Yitzhak Shamir and Simon Wiesenthal, on two separate occasions, that he himself had assisted personally at the liberation of the Nazi death camps.
Reagan announced that apartheid South Africa had "stood beside us in every war we've ever fought," when the South African leadership had been on the other side in the most recent world war.
Was it true that his staff in the 1980 debates had stolen President Carter's briefing book? (They had.)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join