It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Women Find Support for More Rights - the Koran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This might be the wrong venue so I apologize in advance if I've posted this in the wrong place or in the wrong way. I thought this was interesting. Many people think that issues such as women's rights are irreconcilable with Islam. I am no expert in the matter but I have long harbored the suspicion that this is untrue. While there are clearly verses in the Koran that seem not to bode well for the issue of women's rights, I have heard my share of New Testament biblical quotes supporting a misogynistic attitude as well. It turns out that there are are more liberal readings of the Koran and a leading supporter of women's rights in the Muslim world is aiming to use the Koran to support her argument for more women's rights. I hope this is interesting to others, as well.

Muslim Women Find An Ally for More Rights - the Koran

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyElohim

What people don't understand is that Islam was actually the harbinger of women's right's in the middle east.

Yes, it may sound hard to believe, but imagine life in the pre-Islamic era. Women had no rights AT ALL. Female babies were often buried alive after birth. They had no rights to refuse a husband (if her family wanted it). They had no rights of inheritance. They had no rights to divorce their husband. They had no rights to complain about their husband, or to leave him if he was cheating...

Women had no rights to compensation in the case of divorce, or if they had a child and the father left them.

Islam gave women all of these rights, and forced Muslim women to respect them and treat them as something special. Killing female children was made illegal. Islam also limited the number of wives a man can take (4), and let women have a choice in allowing their husband to marry another.

If she doesn't like it, she has the right to divorce him.

If she was divorced, the husband had to provide her food and housing for many months, or until she finds another husband.

Also the husband has to provide food and housing for the baby, and let the mother keep it, and pay her child support if she is gone.

Islam gave women so many rights that they never had before, and women are truly treated like diamonds.... More women are in university than men in most Muslim countries, and women are allowed to work... But most women don't want to work, they would rather raise a family and take care of the home.

Is that really such a terrible thing? Yes, some men don't want their wife to leave the house without permission, but they will tell you this before they marry you. If you don't like it, refuse the marriage.

Lastly, it's a huge misconception that women are forced to wear a burqa or hijab . NO COUNTRY forces women to wear a burqa. Only Iran and Saudi Arabia force them to wear a hijab.

In all other Islamic countries a large portion / majority of women don't wear a hijab, and if they do, it's by their own choice. Sadly, the men are so horny over there many women chose to wear it just to keep from being pestered, even if they aren't very religious.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by FalselyFlagged]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I hope this brave woman manages to make a dent in the disgusting attitude islam has towards womankind. The churches of the west had to change because no-one was listening to them but! islam still has a devout following and a leadership that likes to keep the flock firmly stuck in the middle ages.

Good luck to her! I hope they listen.......

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Father of the 'Islamic Revolution' was born in Bristol, United Kingdom

He worked for the oil corporations, amongst others

S & F to the OP

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged

Sadly, the men are so horny over there many women chose to wear it just to keep from being pestered, even if they aren't very religious.

These people have to cover up their women because they would be so inclined to rape an uncovered women? Don't you see that as barbaric? Islam is not the harbinger of woman's rights in the middle east. If you are going to make statements such as you are, back them up with fact.
Or shut up. Do you really believe what you are saying? Islam itself is oppressive to women. You will only find moderation in Islam's complete or partial absence. They are two almost completely mutually exclusive terms.

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to point out FalselyFlagged does a good impression of Neville Chamberlain.

Go on Neville, you can trust Hitler.

"I have no further interest in the Czecho-Slovakian State, that is guaranteed. We want no Czechs"

-Adolf Hitler, 26th September, 1938.

Sounds convincing, doesn't it, Nevill...errr I mean...FalselyFlagged..

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Islam is probably the most misogynistic religion on the planet.

Sadly, even if a woman wanted to leave The House of Islam, she would be subject to the death penalty placed on all apostates.

Islam must stop jihad, stop killing apostates, and end Sharia law. None of these are good things.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thank you, this is an excellent thread, for what we need is to see the best in each other and to meet in mutual understanding, those areas we understand and approve, the common ground, and not continually from such a wide gulf. There are things that have been pointed out to me, and forcing one to our ways is not the right method, but I do wish to see freedom of choice without honor killing or retaliation, love. The love to allow individual rights and choices, not just as a group.

What we never know/Sarah Brightman!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Well, let's meet half-way and agree that Islam is the more openly misogynistic

however, there are MANY women who've left Islam, in spirit if not officially

men, too

and this trend will continue as muslims examine the reasons their religion is distrusted and openly hated

just takes time. Meanwhile, muslims in the West are exposed to more liberal thinking and they want to conform with their peers, which further erodes the preaching and threat of hardline muslims

But let's be honest, the Usual Suspects are behind the muslim-hysteria and they're working it for all they're worth

unmask those with most to gain from 'fundamentalist islam' (and you surely know where to look) and the whole thing will collapse

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by strangleholder1
I hope this brave woman manages to make a dent in the disgusting attitude islam has towards womankind. The churches of the west had to change because no-one was listening to them but! islam still has a devout following and a leadership that likes to keep the flock firmly stuck in the middle ages.

Good luck to her! I hope they listen.......

I'm not sure that's true, though. Are you sure that the West changed because "no one was listening"? If you asked a feminist, I think they'd tell you the rights women enjoy in the West now were hard won over decades and even centuries in the face great opposition from institutional authorities, especially the church. I also think historians might tell you that civil rights are often won at extreme ends of the spectrum: in times of great external threat (think Rosey the Riveter during WWII) and in times of great affluence (think of civil rights advanced during the 1960's). Not to verge on the obviously controversial here, but perhaps Islam is currently being galvanized by the threat of a suspicious, well-armed, and clearly violent Western world (see Iraq, Afghanistan).

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by i944002

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged

Sadly, the men are so horny over there many women chose to wear it just to keep from being pestered, even if they aren't very religious.

These people have to cover up their women because they would be so inclined to rape an uncovered women? Don't you see that as barbaric? Islam is not the harbinger of woman's rights in the middle east. If you are going to make statements such as you are, back them up with fact.
Or shut up. Do you really believe what you are saying? Islam itself is oppressive to women. You will only find moderation in Islam's complete or partial absence. They are two almost completely mutually exclusive terms.

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to point out FalselyFlagged does a good impression of Neville Chamberlain.

Go on Neville, you can trust Hitler.

"I have no further interest in the Czecho-Slovakian State, that is guaranteed. We want no Czechs"

-Adolf Hitler, 26th September, 1938.

Sounds convincing, doesn't it, Nevill...errr I mean...FalselyFlagged..

Clearly your supposition is not supported by reality. There are devout Muslim women who see no fundamental conflict between their faith and their social aims. Just as there were (and are) devoutly Christian women who saw (or saw) no conflict between their faith and their aims despite the supposed scriptural evidence popularly bandied about which suggests a women's place is a simple and well-defined thing: bearing children and cleaning houses. Also, it's not my board, but it is my thread. Please disagree in a civil and constructive way.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

Sadly, even if a woman wanted to leave The House of Islam, she would be subject to the death penalty placed on all apostates.

Islam must stop jihad, stop killing apostates, and end Sharia law. None of these are good things.

Catch more flies with honey, though. Islam is a confederation of ideas based on a common source. Some Muslims insist on the things you talk about and I wholeheartedly agree with you in those cases: they must stop. Clearly some Muslims do not. Shall I spend time insisting that Christians (and in particular Catholics) are given to slaughter those who won't convert or whom they can't understand, or can we agree that those were the actions of some Christians and that not all of them should be judged by those actions?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

Only if the Christians get rid of crap like this: "And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God..." (Deuteronomy 13: 5)

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;" (Deuteronomy 13: 6)

"Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people." (Deuteronomy 13:8-9)

Then again, we could just stop holding on to all Bronze Age ideals regarding rape, and genocide and women's rights(or lack of) that have been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tetrarch42

your absolutely right tetrach42! All religion uses ignorance as a foundation and conditions the poor and the weak into being raped and abused. im glad you bring up how rancid and decayed all of theology has become.

top topics

join