It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High fructose corn syrup...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Can someone please explain to me why something that has potentially devastating long term health effects is in damn near most of our food and flavored drinks??? If you can please do me the favor of looking at the ingredients of your food that you have stored...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
oh cr@p
its in soda pop too

Im addicted to the stuff
can I sue somebody ???

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOWILLFALL

Because they are protected by the FDA and if they said is good for you then you must trust the FDA.

corn syrup is in everything including baby formula and baby food and is also a GMO.

Read your labels before you buy anything that have corn syrup or high fructose in it, also soy and wheat in the US about 85% of Soy, Wheat and corn are GMO.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOWILLFALL
Can someone please explain to me why something that has potentially devastating long term health effects is in damn near most of our food and flavored drinks?

Because the goal of corporate food is to replace expensive, healthy, unrefined ingredients with highly refined, inexpensive, and often times completely fake/fabricated flavors all the while keeping the price the same.

Bait and switch is the goal, now we have calorie-rich, nutrient devoid syrup most likely being made from GMO corn.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOWILLFALL

From an earlier article, but still Spot On...

Because high fructose corn syrup mixes easily, extends shelf-life and is as much as 20 percent cheaper than other sources of sugar, large-scale food manufacturers love it. It can help prevent freezer burn, so you'll find it on the labels of many frozen foods. It helps breads brown and keeps them soft, which is why hot dog buns and even English muffins hold unexpected amounts.

But there is much more to this...I will have to search for the links, but this started many decades ago when the government had set up massive contracts with farmers across north america to produce and store this crap...

After it came to light that it was quite the evil substance, the farmers found themselves in a pickle (pun intended)...they had all this product (with a long shelf life) and it looked as if the cash cow (yes, intended as well) was all but dead.

So, between saving the farmers financial asses and pushing a product that would contribute to the obesity (and the health care costs that came with it), the gov't once again spins the story and comes out on top...

Ruthless, huh..?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
quite simply because they want us to have a lower life expectancy.

if you look hard at nearly every popularized foods by large corporations. you see the harm out weighing the good.

just don't look to much into medical and the pharmaceuticals or you will relay see the trend.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
There is not much wrong it, look at it this way. The natural alternative is sugar which will make you fat and have health problems all the same. The whole attack on high fructose corn syrup was just another part of a fad diet. People get fat and want to blame someone. If you are really worried about your health stay away from sugar and corn syrup, but if you are just the average person i would not worry about a little corn syrup in your diet.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

HFCS is everywhere because farmers grow so much more corn than any other product. They choose to grow corn because the government encourages them to grow it by handing out subsidies.

The surplus of corn is what makes the U.S. the fattest country in the world.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yea. not really the best stuff to be eating or consuming..

A. High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a manmade sweetener that’s found in a wide range of processed foods, from ketchup and cereals to crackers and salad dressings. It also sweetens just about all of the (regular) soda Americans drink. HFCS used in foods is between 50 to 55 percent fructose—so chemically, it’s virtually identical to table sugar (sucrose), which is 50 percent fructose. Metabolic studies suggest our bodies break down and use HFCS and sucrose the same way

And it just get's worse...

Yet, after HFCS began to be widely introduced into the food supply 30-odd years ago, obesity rates skyrocketed. And because the sweetener is so ubiquitous, many blame HFCS for playing a major role in our national obesity epidemic. As a result, some shoppers equate HFCS with “toxic waste” when they see it on a food label, because that's what it is..a toxic waste by-product.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It's just a cheaper sugar substitute. Corn is more prevalent than classic sugar producing plants such as sugar cane. Corn is also a major american crop. Using it helps the american farmer and has the added benefits mentioned in an earlier post. Fructose breaks down into glucose which is simply sugar. The only concern over health risks are the same as consuming too much sugar. Anything is bad in excess...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The surplus of corn is what makes the U.S. the fattest country in the world.

Were not the only country to use high fructose corn syrup. It's overeating, eating an unhealthy diet and inactivity that cause us to be fat. A sedintary lifestyle is the true culprit...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I drank a can of mountain dew "throwback" the other day. It uses sugar as a sweetener rather than corn syrup. The difference is enormously apparent to me.

Soda made with corn syrup leaves my mouth feeling horribly sticky and uncomfortable. Jarritos is my favorite soda, it is imported from mexico and is always made with real sugar.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Wow I'm pretty surprised at the responses this got...Let me add another thing if high fructose cs is just sugar then why do they feel the need to also add maltodextrin?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
HFCS is not as sweet as sugar.
This means they add more to the products.
More HFCS means more calories 4 to 10% more.

this is one reason many people like throwback sodas with real sugar.

Some time check the calorie count on soda with real sugar and soda with HFCS.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
A pilot study reported that some high-fructose corn syrup manufactured in the U.S. in 2005 contained trace amounts of mercury. The mercury appeared to come from sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid, two chemicals used in the manufacture of high-fructose corn syrup. This mixture used to produce HFCS may have come from plants also specializing in industrial chlorine chlor-alkali using the mercury cell Castner-Kellner process, and may contain traces of mercury if this specific process is utilized. Mercury concentrations in the samples testing positive ranged from 0.012 μg/g to 0.570 μg/g (micrograms per gram). Nine of the twenty samples tested did contain measurable amounts of mercury.[58]

A March 18, 2010 Duke University Medical Center study found that "increased consumption of high fructose corn syrup was associated with scarring in the liver, or fibrosis, among patients with Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

Mercury? hmm...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Talking about the throwback sodas, my son really loves the Pepsi throwback (my son is 8). I have tasted the 2 and boy did that throwback taste different than the regular Pepsi, plus it brought back all those great memories of my parents putting it in my bottle for me when I was little. hahaha

The taste between the HFCS and the Sugar sweetened stuff is really significant to me.

I do use the Corn Syrup in some of my recipes when I bake, but not usually.

A_L

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Dear if you have lived like I did before and after the high, fructose, refine sugar and GMO, American waist was a lot slimmer and people where a lot healthier.

Since the diet was changed in the scare that everything natural make you fat we have gotten fatter, high blood pressure has increase, diabetes is now an epidemic in children and we have all the manufactured crap in our everyday foods.

So I suggest your research on what used to be the American healthy diet and how good people used to live without big pharma breathing down our necks.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I believe it is used in food because it becomes addictive, you get the energy in your blood sugar, then you crash and want and crave more. Just like studies showed how fast food joints like McDonald's is successful, it plays on each of the macro nutrients we crave: fat. sugar, complex carbohydrates, and salt.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hight fructose is more additive than coc aine and that is the results of independent studies, that the government doesn't want people to know, like how it affects you health.

Anything that is not made from nature and is tampered by quimical process is not healthy for the body, you don't need to be a genious to figure that one out.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Stop using pre-processed food. If you have 2 un-fluoridated brain cells you will realize that it is probably healthier to smoke 2 boxes of cigars and drink bottle of whiskey every day then to base your diet on the pre-processed food. Such BS like drinking soda ... Hundred of thousands of years we drink water ... now we need this water to be full of sugar, synthetic colors, perfumes and other additives?
One reason of our malnutrition disease is our hectic lifestyle. Many people have no chance to cook their food - it take time, lot of time. But at the end you will be healthier, you will spend less money and you will enjoy your meal more.
I studied my medieval/modern ancestors diet few years ago. Just now I realized that it is perfectly what fits my desires. Only difference is, that their ingredients were of better quality then that I can achieve now. Also their diet was more colorful - many of species enjoyed at medieval times are now almost extinct. They eat lot of fishes for example. Many of species which figure on medieval menus are now extinct and the rest is polluted. To eat meet from industrial breeding ... did you ever visited such FACTORY. It is disgusting. Do you have dog? Will you treat your pet in same manner as your "stake" is treated? Conditions of breeding have no effect on what you are eating? Just physical-psychological conditions ... and now add such beauties like BGH and constant supply of antibiotics or pure fact, that cows stomachs are designed for grass/hay not for corn. E. coli spread is result. I'm really not religious men but facing these facts ... we should all go to hell immediately.
Just yesterday I was talking with my neighbors - farmers - they still use manure as fertilizer but without synthetic nitrogenous/phosphorus fertilizers as main source of nutrients? NO WAY TODAY. The soil is dead. Only solution is to put more chemicals on fields. We are in trap ..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join